Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
generous application of Carbon and cash. I am actually thinking it must have been 31.6 to start.
(Rocky estimates 31.9, so in reality it probably was over 32)
The bulk of the savings was getting rid of tubes and putting on the carbon 240 wheelset.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le Pisgah has the gnurz. 100% recommend, 10/10 would bang again (and did).

And free camping if that's what you want.

Also Bentonville seems kind of out of the way. Do recommend just doing Le Pisgah. And Dupont if you want that more flow stuff (or rox, they have that too).

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
there is some gnurz in the touristy pisgah (ranger district) but even more gnurz in the lesser-known pisgah (grandfather district).

if he's driving from wyoming, bentonville's relatively "on the way"

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Le Pisgah has the gnurz. 100% recommend, 10/10 would bang again (and did).

And free camping if that's what you want.

Also Bentonville seems kind of out of the way. Do recommend just doing Le Pisgah. And Dupont if you want that more flow stuff (or rox, they have that too).
I just left there wife and I go vacationing every year, sometimes twice a year. Pisgah during the day. Dupont at night.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
there is some gnurz in the touristy pisgah (ranger district) but even more gnurz in the lesser-known pisgah (grandfather district).

if he's driving from wyoming, bentonville's relatively "on the way"
For some reason I always picture Arkansas being further south, relative to NC.

What I should have said, Bentonville looks pretty average compared to NC. :D

Also @rideit get some plugs for your bars/grips!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I haven't added any new bits in the last year I don't think, I left my bike at work for six weeks and it now sports a little ornament that seems to be Randy Marsh saying that he is Lorde......
20201031_141120.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
For pack-less or enduro-satchel-less riding, the 33oz bottle is lovely. Just barely fits my two bikes that have cages.

20201106_165430.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Did a great ride last night on my favourite trail, which is a rare treat caus' I don't often ride it past September due to it being technical and slabby, and in the fall it's covered in leaves, wet, and there's lots of hikers admiring autumn foliage. But we've had a freakish spell of good weather, and it's mostly dry, warm and deserted now because it's dark due to Daylight Savings Time.

But I got another friggin' flat on my new(ish) wheel and tire (installed in late August). I'm really starting to think that wide rims (i30) lead to more flats. My theory is that the wider contact patch gives the tire more grip, and it winds up pulling off the rim easier. Coupled with the fact that a tire is essentially an undamped spring, increasing the volume makes the spring rate more linear. As a heavier rider (perhaps a little faster than average), that's a recipe for moar flats.

But I digress. I ordered a Tannus Tubeless Armour from a shop across the country. Hopefully I get it in time to test it out this year. If that doesn't work, I'll be going back to narrower rims.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm really starting to think that wide rims (i30) lead to more flats. My theory is that the wider contact patch gives the tire more grip, and it winds up pulling off the rim easier. Coupled with the fact that a tire is essentially an undamped spring, increasing the volume makes the spring rate more linear. As a heavier rider (perhaps a little faster than average), that's a recipe for moar flats.
Interesting theory. Was this a puncture or a burp/tire ripping off the rim? I'm not a small dude and I get less flats with wider rims.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Interesting theory. Was this a puncture or a burp/tire ripping off the rim? I'm not a small dude and I get less flats with wider rims.
I have not determined that yet for this last instance. But the previous two instances were definitely not from punctures. I think there are a few factors at play, and it's hard to determine exactly which one is at fault:
- wheel was not built to even tension (I'm pretty pissed about that)
- taping wasn't ideal; I have procured proper tape and will give it a try
- first loss of air was in a high speed rock garden. By the time I stopped the rim had slightly dented. It holds air fine on "normal" rides and in the basement, but maybe not under extreme use?
- these are Chromag Phase 30 rims. Maybe the bead seat design isn't great. I haven't heard of problems from anywhere else, but I also haven't really dug too deep. But they were supposed to be designed to be burly and those guys usually make good shit.

So yeah, before make any definitive conclusions, I should probably try another rim. But allz I know is that when I was running my Flow EX with the same tire (2.3 DHR2 DD), I didn't have these problems. In fact, I had been able to wear out a tire for the first time since going tubeless.

FWIW, I weigh 217 buck nekkid.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I guess I should post this up here. I decided to put the Nomad 3C out to pasture... She treated me well, but it was time. After a roller coaster of bro-deal dramas of various “orders” falling through, the opportunity to go Full Dentist presented itself, and I answered the call.

Norco Sight C SE - 27.5

A2032EAC-3933-446B-A3BA-277652D6F133.jpeg

Full AXS and all the trimmings. DT carbon wheels, totally bonkers.

A hair over 30 lbs with XT pedals, cage, fender, and full Ride Wrap according to my ultra accurate and highly precise luggage scale.
C7B38788-F90D-475A-8785-EFD5D7736733.jpeg

No complaints so far. I could probably shave another pound with a non OEM stem and add 15hp.

Debating going the full Shock Wiz route to at least get some reinforcement that I’m using my suspension properly. The Ride Aligned baseline was not what I’m after.

I’m clearly not “Expert”.

I suspect the stem is holding me back.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I guess I should post this up here. I decided to put the Nomad 3C out to pasture... She treated me well, but it was time. After a roller coaster of bro-deal dramas of various “orders” falling through, the opportunity to go Full Dentist presented itself, and I answered the call.

Norco Sight C SE - 27.5

View attachment 152151

A hair over 30 lbs with XT pedals, cage, fender, and full Ride Wrap according to my ultra accurate and highly precise luggage scale.
View attachment 152152

No complaints so far. I could probably shave another pound with a non OEM stem and add 15hp.

Debating going the full Shock Wiz route to at least get some reinforcement that I’m using my suspension properly. The Ride Aligned baseline was not what I’m after.

1. as stated before, hubba hubba that bike is nice
2. when time allows and after an adequate number of rides, can we get an in-depth stem review? perhaps part of a review series, focused entirely on that stem
3. Kthx!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Norco Sight C SE - 27.5

View attachment 152151

View attachment 152152

Well that escalated quickly. Weren't you originally getting the plebian aluminum frame?

That is one sweet ride.

What size DHR is that?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Norco Sight C SE - 27.5

View attachment 152151

View attachment 152152

You should get the new fork dick from Vorsprung, not looking full dentist without one.
(nice ride, I am jelly)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
By the time I stopped the rim had slightly dented. It holds air fine on "normal" rides and in the basement, but maybe not under extreme use?
It's interesting how you describe the order: You say the rim dented "by the time" you stopped - are you saying the rim wasn't dented by the impact that caused the flat? Or could it have been one and the same? Either way, yes, it's possible to have a dent that holds air just fine until you start hitting things hard. If the tire holds air most of the time but is experiencing a pressure loss without coming off the rim once you start hitting stuff, that's probably it. But I'd start with proper rim tape, to eliminate that factor. Also, it's an aluminum rim - can you bang out the dent a bit to create a better seal? Lastly, of course tire pressure is a factor...

I'm not quite the Clydesdale you are, but I am around 195. I run the exact same rear tire in 29" on a Reserve 30 carbon rim, and I haven't had any of the issues you describe.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
@slyfink: I really doubt it’s the rim width. I have been hammering away on 30mm rims without a glitch. However you did mention a DHR in 2.3” which might not be ideal (I have been running WT tires).

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Winter project just about done. Just a few finishing touches left. Stanton Switchback frame I picked up 2nd hand but looked a little tatty so sent it in for powder coating. Plan on keeping this bike so I get to choose the colour (BMX influenced) without worrying about resale. Managed to ride the bike for a couple of weeks before stripping it down for paint and it just felt so dialled that I knew this was a keeper. I bought and quickly sold a Cotic BFe before picking up this frame. The BFe was way to long and no fun.
Moved to the area a year ago and I now have riding options that suit having a hardtail, and after chewing through all the bearings on the full sus last Winter I have been planning to build up a hardtail all year.
20201112_065934.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, a 1 liter water bottle fits in the Medium Altitude..

I thought this would be useful.
It took a little modifying of an Elite Cannibal water bottle cage (but there might be other cages with this capability).
This was very well thought out by Rocky Mountain.
33Oz. Is enough for *most* mid-week rides...
9DB1E6CC-C76A-4671-8602-06FF494E666E.jpeg

253E6E1C-7E1D-4C0B-8981-1DE49CD1958F.jpeg

Please excuse the messy holes, the drill bit was hard to control at first.