Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So, a 1 liter water bottle fits in the Medium Altitude..

I thought this would be useful.
It took a little modifying of an Elite Cannibal water bottle cage (but there might be other cages with this capability).
This was very well thought out by Rocky Mountain.
33Oz. Is enough for *most* mid-week rides...
View attachment 152539
View attachment 152540
Please excuse the messy holes, the drill bit was hard to control at first.
Is that something where you could have used one of those wolftooth mover things?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Problem solvers also make some (I have them on two other bikes). They are actually pretty heavy, and they add about 1/2 an inch to the height of the water bottle, so the nozzle would hit the piggyback reservoir. This is a cleaner solution, IMO.
I don’t know enough about the Wolftooth ones to comment.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Wolf Tooth Morse cage is great for that purpose also (incorporates more holes to slide the cage lower). Lets me run a 24 oz up top on my Size 2 GG.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That Wolftooth Morse titanium cage looks trick! I haven’t had success with retention on those types of cages in the past, though. And a liter of water is pretty heavy. Haven’t tried one in decades, though, they are probably better now. Cool suggestion.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That Wolftooth Morse titanium cage looks trick! I haven’t had success with retention on those types of cages in the past, though. And a liter of water is pretty heavy. Haven’t tried one in decades, though, they are probably better now. Cool suggestion.
I've just got the SS version (although I'd like the Ti if it ever gets restocked). It holds a 24 oz Podium bottle on the underside of the top-tube without rattling or any movement, so it seems like the grip is pretty good.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've got that Wolftooth Morse cage on two bikes - steel version. Works beautifully, and have had no issues with bottle retention, even with the 33oz monster bottle. Bend the shit out of it to get it to hold more tightly as needed. No issues.

/carryonpedanticprincess

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Finally going the 29er route. Wasn’t happy with the Kona Process 27.5 that I bought in May. I had an older Vitus Sommet before that, and loved it. Kicked myself for getting rid of it. My first choice was the new Stumpy Evo, but that is out of stock until forever. These came back in stock a few weeks ago, so I jumped on it. Hoping to get a few more weekends of saddle time before the snow shows up for good. Don’t mind the 70’s carpet in my basement.
FA798EC6-3946-47C4-9561-F86371374ED7.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
threw this feller in there the other day to get moar adjustmentz than the basic grip. shakedown ride felt good. absorbed things well at a variety of speeds, didn't wallow, took a few big landings in stride. will fiddle a bit more. i think there's still one token on the air side...right now most settings are pretty wide open, or a few clicks back off of that.
1605840331369.jpeg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Fresh through the door. Had to rob pedals off the Bronson to build up the hardtail, and decided to try some Vaults. I am not sure if I am completely sold on the new NP Horizons, however I really liked to older style. Plenty of grip but I always feel like my foot is not positioned correctly. There are a few good looking pedals out there, and would like to try some of them, but the Vaults were well priced and are nice and matchy matchy.

RM.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How does that compare to your settings with the old damper?
pretty close to where I ran the more basic ones on the Grip, as well as the ones on my old RC2. I've always gotten to the point where I like the mid-stroke support in a variety of conditions and am getting most of my travel without harsh bottom outs on bigger hits . . . just always in search of more suppleness off the top at lower speeds.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
pretty close to where I ran the more basic ones on the Grip, as well as the ones on my old RC2. I've always gotten to the point where I like the mid-stroke support in a variety of conditions and am getting most of my travel without harsh bottom outs on bigger hits . . . just always in search of more suppleness off the top at lower speeds.
How does the Grip2 compare to the RC2? Does it boing better?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How does the Grip2 compare to the RC2? Does it boing better?
Hard to tell since I was running the rc2 on a different bike and it's been maybe 2 years since I last rode it. Based on my initial impression, I'd say they're pretty comparable in general but don't have enough time on the grip2 yet to have a really good sense of it. Taking it out for trial ride #2 this afternoon. I could conceivably throw it on my current bike, although I think the offsets are different and it also has 170mm travel vs. 180mm for the current fork.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Finally going the 29er route. Wasn’t happy with the Kona Process 27.5 that I bought in May. I had an older Vitus Sommet before that, and loved it. Kicked myself for getting rid of it. My first choice was the new Stumpy Evo, but that is out of stock until forever. These came back in stock a few weeks ago, so I jumped on it. Hoping to get a few more weekends of saddle time before the snow shows up for good. Don’t mind the 70’s carpet in my basement. View attachment 152603
I bet there are still a bunch of stems and seeds lurking in that thing...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was spending way too much time in my super granny gear on the new bike. Hoping to use more of the middle of the cassette with this guy.
1E05D33A-ED24-42D3-89F0-0B2FCF711928.jpeg

a monument to my lack of manliness.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Finally going the 29er route. Wasn’t happy with the Kona Process 27.5 that I bought in May. I had an older Vitus Sommet before that, and loved it. Kicked myself for getting rid of it. My first choice was the new Stumpy Evo, but that is out of stock until forever. These came back in stock a few weeks ago, so I jumped on it. Hoping to get a few more weekends of saddle time before the snow shows up for good. Don’t mind the 70’s carpet in my basement. View attachment 152603
Thought it was a Banshee for a moment with that lower cradle. It looks nice.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just switched from a 32 to 30t ring this year. Literal game changer for climbs here. I should have done that years ago.
Yes. Yes you should have.

When I go back to 29er I'll try a 30 oval. 30 normal is the lowest my ancient 970 Xtr crankset will support.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just switched from a 32 to 30t ring this year. Literal game changer for climbs here. I should have done that years ago.
I have never spun out on a descent. I’m using the brakes and holding on for dear life 99% of the time.

The lower gear ratios are much more important to me.

The 30/50 still came in handy today but with a twinge of shame. Just enough to keep trying to stay in the 42 as much as possible.
90EB2AA7-FE9C-4D4C-9886-70D3E8A0288C.jpeg

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have never spun out on a descent. I’m using the brakes and holding on for dear life 99% of the time.

The lower gear ratios are much more important to me.

The 30/50 still came in handy today but with a twinge of shame. Just enough to keep trying to stay in the 42 as much as possible.
View attachment 152673
My two lowest gears are 42t and a 47t granny. I try to climb in 30/42.
Right. I honestly don't even need an 11t cog on my cassette.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My two lowest gears are 42t and a 47t granny. I try to climb in 30/42.
Right. I honestly don't even need an 11t cog on my cassette.
Same... kinda ridiculous to have 12 speeds, but there you go. I was happy with my 11sp XT with the 11-42 and a 30t up front.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hard to tell since I was running the rc2 on a different bike and it's been maybe 2 years since I last rode it. Based on my initial impression, I'd say they're pretty comparable in general but don't have enough time on the grip2 yet to have a really good sense of it. Taking it out for trial ride #2 this afternoon. I could conceivably throw it on my current bike, although I think the offsets are different and it also has 170mm travel vs. 180mm for the current fork.
Is this the v2 Grip 2 or the older one. On my older one I have to give it more HSC than I would like or the LSC goes away and things get wallowy, but over all pretty happy with it.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Made a few updates to the Pistol (now Pistola):
PXL_20201124_210954326_small.jpg
PXL_20201124_211031019_small.jpg

Changes:
-CC Helm Air mk2
-CC Kitsuma Air pistola sized
-3d Printed Fender for Helm (on my second one, destroyed the first one, trying a different material)
-220/200 2 piece magura rotors (got them for gnarvana/bike park mode)
-Budget "Synthesis" wheelset (Lg-1 EN rims 28h/32h, dt350 front and dt370 converted to dt240/350 with 60t star rachet rear)
-other 3d printed thing I'm going to get made fun of for
-Big S water bottle cage that looks cool, doesn't work great.

edit: pics broke.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Photos aren't loading. I'd be interested to hear if those MDR rotors resist warping any better - I notice the regular HD ones at 203 seem to need straightening every couple months, and I'm not crashing on them.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Made a few updates to the Pistol (now Pistola):
Changes:
-CC Helm Air mk2
-CC Kitsuma Air pistola sized
-3d Printed Fender for Helm (on my second one, destroyed the first one, trying a different material)
-220/200 2 piece magura rotors (got them for gnarvana/bike park mode)
-Budget "Synthesis" wheelset (Lg-1 EN rims 28h/32h, dt350 front and dt370 converted to dt240/350 with 60t star rachet rear)
-other 3d printed thing I'm going to get made fun of for
-Big S water bottle cage that looks cool, doesn't work great.
Nice! Do tell how the Kitsuma goes. I has a pistola as well and have shock upgrade-itis.