Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Photos aren't loading. I'd be interested to hear if those MDR rotors resist warping any better - I notice the regular HD ones at 203 seem to need straightening every couple months, and I'm not crashing on them.
So far so good. I did have one of my pistons stick on the rear, made me think I had a warped or bent rotor, but all was good after I sorted that.

Nice! Do tell how the Kitsuma goes. I has a pistola as well and have shock upgrade-itis.
I need some more time on it. It does take a bit of effort to turn the big high speed knobs, maybe I just need to break it in. Feels good so far, but I need to do some tweaking to get it where I want it. On another note excited to try the new helm, felt noticeably more plush/smooth compared to my old helm in the parking lot test. The new mid valve in the mk2 supposedly makes the fork a bit more composed under braking.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Is this the v2 Grip 2 or the older one. On my older one I have to give it more HSC than I would like or the LSC goes away and things get wallowy, but over all pretty happy with it.
How do you distinguish Grip2 and Grip2 v2? I have a 2019 36 Grip2 that I've been using for ~18 months, 16 of them with a Smashpot and I've been running pretty high damping settings compared to other folks on the interwebbz, but also a relatively stiff spring. Not that it really matters, just curious.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fatty got new brakes yesterday. Magura MT4. Nothing fancy, but hopefully dependable. Can't say I'm excited to transition to the fat bike season, but usually after a ride or two, I get into the swing of it. Might ask for a dropper for it for Christmas.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
How do you distinguish Grip2 and Grip2 v2? I have a 2019 36 Grip2 that I've been using for ~18 months, 16 of them with a Smashpot and I've been running pretty high damping settings compared to other folks on the interwebbz, but also a relatively stiff spring. Not that it really matters, just curious.
Weren't you on a RC2 pretty much forever? How come you changed it? Did you some back to back riding?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Weren't you on a RC2 pretty much forever? How come you changed it? Did you some back to back riding?
I was and actually am again.
I have a 26" Float 160 RC2, a 26" Vanilla 160 RC2, both with the 2015 upgrade inverted cartridges and 20*110. Then I bought a 2016 650b Talas 160 RC2 with 20mm axle I was not as happy with as woo, sold it after I got my hands on a friend's 2019 650b Grip2 which runs pretty well besides Float (and 15 mm QR), therefore Smashpot. And then suddenly the awesome Mr. Walker offers me a Grip2 with new chassis and 20mm axle - bought, Smashpotted and 4 weeks ago an unused RC2 cart installed.
Runs pretty well but I have the feeling the bushings are a bit tight.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
And then suddenly the awesome Mr. Walker offers me a Grip2 with new chassis and 20mm axle - bought, Smashpotted and 4 weeks ago an unused RC2 cart installed.
Sounds like the :monkey: 's holy grail right there!
Wait, what? New, in the meaning of never used, or will we be back on Boost20 or something? :clue:

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sounds like the :monkey: 's hoy grail right there!
Wait, what? New, in the meaning of never used, or will we be back on Boost20 or something? :clue:
New in real 20mm pinch bolt axle and the 18 or 19 chassis. I guess 2019 because it's a 170mm 29" fork. Slightly used by Ben. Guess he can further elaborate if needed.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Jackpot....

p6pb19671325.jpg

8.75 x 2.75. Should allow me to try some fun things with my Mega 290. It's already long shocked with an 8.5 x 2.5 shock so I'll probably start by dropping in a couple offset bushings which will bring the length to 8.6 and I can make a shaft spacer to limit the stroke to avoid any frame contact...should be able to eke a wee bit more travel that way with minimal impact to the geometry. Probably would get close to 180mm

or I can run the normal bushings and build a mullet wheel which would get me close to 190-195mm...

If any is interested in a 8.5 x 2.5 DVO Jade fire me a pm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
New in real 20mm pinch bolt axle and the 18 or 19 chassis. I guess 2019 because it's a 170mm 29" fork. Slightly used by Ben. Guess he can further elaborate if needed.
I built it out of parts. It was very lightly used because at that time I had more forks than I knew what to do with and I ride my DH bike more than my little bikes. I had the 3 different offset crowns and a bunch of different air springs. I couldn’t tell you what year because it was a mix and match of what I thought felt nice.
Those 20mm axle 36s existed in Fox’s system but nobody knew. There were new CSU and lowers in 20mm but however no brands offered a set of boost trail wheels in 20/148 so no product managers specced them and there was no demand. Fox didn’t make more last year when there were no more because everyone wants the QR15..... Dan Roberts and my brother still have one of those. I sadly moved on to that that bastard of a QR 15mm standard on the 38 and Ohlins.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I built it out of parts. It was very lightly used because at that time I had more forks than I knew what to do with and I ride my DH bike more than my little bikes. I had the 3 different offset crowns and a bunch of different air springs. I couldn’t tell you what year because it was a mix and match of what I thought felt nice.
Those 20mm axle 36s existed in Fox’s system but nobody knew. There were new CSU and lowers in 20mm but however no brands offered a set of boost trail wheels in 20/148 so no product managers specced them and there was no demand. Fox didn’t make more last year when there were no more because everyone wants the QR15..... Dan Roberts and my brother still have one of those. I sadly moved on to that that bastard of a QR 15mm standard on the 38 and Ohlins.
Has there ever been a 36 chassis with 20*110 axle in boost spacing?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
V2.0 of the Mega Bastard. Now with moar travels with the longer RC4. 17mm BB drop, 180mm front and somewhere around 190-195mm rear, and 63 HA....

....now the question becomes will I kill this/myself if I install a dual crown????? The biases in me say 'geez the headtube, top tube, and downtube look externally to be the same as what is used for the Nukeproof Dissent. What are the chances that the manufacturer in Taiwan is hydroforming different gauge thickness tubes for each model?". What could possibly go wrong???

IMG_20201209_181826106_HDR.jpg

@Jeremy R , the seat was adjusted just for you...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
V2.0 of the Mega Bastard. Now with moar travels with the longer RC4. 17mm BB drop, 180mm front and somewhere around 190-195mm rear, and 63 HA....

....now the question becomes will I kill this/myself if I install a dual crown????? The biases in me say 'geez the headtube, top tube, and downtube look externally to be the same as what is used for the Nukeproof Dissent. What are the chances that the manufacturer in Taiwan is hydroforming different gauge thickness tubes for each model?". What could possibly go wrong???

View attachment 153434

@Jeremy R , the seat was adjusted just for you...
Balls are clapping with joy! : )
That bike looks fun!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Some new things for the winter rig:

- AXS post and 2 controllers to swap between bikes
- 4 piston brakes, 180mm rotors
- Trials Moto fender heat gun molded on the rear

Last edited: