Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
How heavy/stiff is that tire? I like the blkdmnd casing but it is very stiff - so stiff that it makes the tire feel inflated more than it is, which can lead to pinch flats (ask me how I know).
I haven't ridden it yet. It feels very comparable to the EXO+ DHR 2 that it is meant to replace. I held both in my hands yesterday and rubbed the casing between my index and thumb [stick that in your no context thread and smoke it!!!], and they were very similar. I liked my EXO+ tires, but felt 120tpi is too supple and delicate. This one has same construction but 60tpi. I'm hoping it proves to be more durable than EXO+ with an insert on it - despite having an insert.

I know exactly what you mean about the stiffer casing. I rode a WTB Trail Boss with the Tough casing (2 ply - 60tpi), and it was too vague. I couldn't tell what the back tire was doing, or how much air was in it. Dented a new rim on the second ride.

I'm hoping single 60tpi with additional protection and an insert proves to be the goldilocks combination. 120tpi too supple, 2x60tpi too rigid, 60tpi with extra protection just right!)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How heavy/stiff is that tire? I like the blkdmnd casing but it is very stiff - so stiff that it makes the tire feel inflated more than it is, which can lead to pinch flats (ask me how I know).
The Grid Trail casing is super pliable. Not that burly though, kinda Exo-y.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
The Grid Trail casing is super pliable. Not that burly though, kinda Exo-y.
Less burly than exo, in my experience. The 26" Butcher is a mighty fine tyre until things get fast and rocky, then they tend to get all hissy and porous.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Less burly than exo, in my experience. The 26" Butcher is a mighty fine tyre until things get fast and rocky, then they tend to get all hissy and porous.
Anything 26'' is a different casing than the new Grid Trail option.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Why not just go directly for an electric motorcycle? Like Cake or sur-ron
I like to play with shit and make stuff.

We got my Dad a Sur Ron for some fun Parkinson’s physio therapy. It’s pretty small and needs a lot of mods to get it running nice. I would like to build something similar one day.

I’m just exploring what an ebike could be without rules, big business and opinions.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I know exactly what you mean about the stiffer casing. I rode a WTB Trail Boss with the Tough casing (2 ply - 60tpi), and it was too vague. I couldn't tell what the back tire was doing, or how much air was in it. Dented a new rim on the second ride.
And just like that, I pinched the BLCKDMND casing yesterday. :banghead:
It is not even cut or torn, more like cracked. The casing is so stiff that even with no air in it, the bike's weight won't make the tire collapse entirely and rest on the rim when doing the HaB back home.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Next decision that needs to be made now that my new fork is in: do I cut threads in the steerer tube of the new fork for the OneUp EDC tool I currently have, or do I get a new EDC V2 tool that will fit the aluminum carrier they now make so I don't have to cut threads in the steerer tube... (total of about $130 Cdn for tool and carrier). Feels wrong to cut threads in a brand new fork, and a big part of the reason I'm getting a new fork (rather than a used one), is that I want the warranty in case the crown begins to creak. I've heard that Fox hasn't been rejecting warraties based on this, but it's not written down anywhere either...

Such a pain that the original tool doesn't fit in the new carrier...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Next decision that needs to be made now that my new fork is in: do I cut threads in the steerer tube of the new fork for the OneUp EDC tool I currently have, or do I get a new EDC V2 tool that will fit the aluminum carrier they now make so I don't have to cut threads in the steerer tube... (total of about $130 Cdn for tool and carrier). Feels wrong to cut threads in a brand new fork, and a big part of the reason I'm getting a new fork (rather than a used one), is that I want the warranty in case the crown begins to creak. I've heard that Fox hasn't been rejecting warraties based on this, but it's not written down anywhere either...

tap the steerer. the headlock version weighs more

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

Cut it longer than needed by how deep you need it threaded and use spacers. Cut off under threads if you need to warrantee it. This is what I did.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If we went back to 1.5" steerers you could fit an awesome multi tool in the fork.
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please bring back 1.5, tapered sucks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This Iozzio shotgun has been around for 2 years and this is the first time I've seen it. Anyone have one?

Bats are the worst possible way of consuming, IMO. Made sense in the past when being stealth was important. Stealth goes out the window when it is part of your bike and there are better options available today.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Bats are the worst possible way of consuming, IMO. Made sense in the past when being stealth was important. Stealth goes out the window when it is part of your bike and there are better options available today.
Yes bats are shit but they don't shatter when you drop them on rocks. Also this beats digging into the pack. The Dangle
DangleBong™️ is a premium product - I ripped one on the trail once after breaking my hand in Wyoming. Luckily, as I was working my way out of the trail, I ran into some dudes in the bushes who helped me with the Dangle.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pretty sure that Bobby seals,
Didn’t Santa Cruz hide a one hitter in one of their frames way back in the day? Or was I just high?
My buddy had a college "internship" with SC back in the early 2000's when Roskopp was still there.

He was in an interview with the director of engineering when Rob came in and plopped a pipe with a fat bowl packed down on the table. Best interview ever. :weee: