Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
New shock for the Bronson...waiting for the day when I'm cleared to ride again.

Us both....that's a huge bearing....badass shock simple but clean...

Joining you in taking time off, got pneumonia now from ribs... So I will watch you build stuff, I will get jealous and order stuff to try and be cool...the wife will get mad at me and blame the bike....but I will point to you and blame you now ...I'm injured she can't abuse me yet....

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Any more updates on the Jibb?
It wasn't the right bike for me. After riding it for a while, I realized I need my only bike to be able to do everything reasonably well, biased toward technical descending. The Madonna was pretty much that bike, but it was a little bit cumbersome on the flatter trails, as any 160-170mm 29er would be.

I thought the Jibb would be livelier, but with geometry that would still make it a good descender. Which was true. But now that I'm in my 50s, I really missed the extra travel of the Madonna that gave me a little more margin for error when things got technical. The fact that the Jibb weighed just about the same as the Madonna was also not my favorite trait.

It's a fun bike for sure, and it showed me where my priorities are. Turns out, I will happily sacrifice some playfulness for a slacker bike with more travel. I'm now on a Specialized Enduro, and it's f'n fantastic. But as nice as all the bells and whistles that Specialized includes are, the Enduro could definitely learn from RAAW when it comes to making a bike that is easy to work on and easy to clean. The RAAWs are deceptively simple, but the amount of thought and attention to all the details is remarkable.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It wasn't the right bike for me. After riding it for a while, I realized I need my only bike to be able to do everything reasonably well, biased toward technical descending. The Madonna was pretty much that bike, but it was a little bit cumbersome on the flatter trails, as any 160-170mm 29er would be.

I thought the Jibb would be livelier, but with geometry that would still make it a good descender. Which was true. But now that I'm in my 50s, I really missed the extra travel of the Madonna that gave me a little more margin for error when things got technical. The fact that the Jibb weighed just about the same as the Madonna was also not my favorite trait.

It's a fun bike for sure, and it showed me where my priorities are. Turns out, I will happily sacrifice some playfulness for a slacker bike with more travel. I'm now on a Specialized Enduro, and it's f'n fantastic. But as nice as all the bells and whistles that Specialized includes are, the Enduro could definitely learn from RAAW when it comes to making a bike that is easy to work on and easy to clean. The RAAWs are deceptively simple, but the amount of thought and attention to all the details is remarkable.
Sorry, you lost me at "I'm now on a Specialized Enduro, and it's f'n fantastic."

I thought the Ridemonkey machine banned all Specialized Lovers? Cuz really, it's Specialized. I just threw up a little just typing that

:D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
nothing much...new atlas stem and assegai. based on it's performance today in the jank, assegai's a winner.
I’m enjoying the Assegai too!

I'll swap it tomorrow....I have another one here...

The Evol air is a fair bit different feeling than standard air cart...it's smoother initially and seems a bit more plush less ramp
Yeah, the newer the air spring the more I prefer it over the last one.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

I agree completely, too many small bearings and complexity going on with the Enduro. It kicks ass, but I'm pretty sure I'll sell it and get a new one when the bearings start going. Nightmare to work on/clean with all the tiny rubber seals that love to come off.
Not the bike for high maintenance wet weather riding unless you're a sponsored athlete with a mechanic and a box of spares! I've already warrantied the lower shock mount for crunchy bearings, and one side of the trunnion mount has seized. This is with about a year of 95% dry riding.

On the other hand, I'm loving my boys Nukeproof Mega.
Just the opposite of the Speshy. Simple, big bearings, piece of cake to work on.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Been running Renthal bars (carbon and alloy) for at least 10 years, recently got a OneUp. 1 degree more backsweep, but otherwise the same dimensions.

Most impressed I've ever been with a bar. It really does what is claimed, stiff where it needs to be, compliant otherwise. I ran it on a very rough trail where a Renthal 35mm will make my hands tingly/sore after a full 20+ minute run. This thing was super precise and felt stiff, but was also very comfortable.

Yes, it is the dreaded carbonz and will probably snap off and stick in the my chest one day, but damn what a good bar!

0926210938a_HDR.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes, it is the dreaded carbonz and will probably snap off and stick in the my chest one day, but damn what a good bar!

View attachment 165283
I haven't swapped mine yet was too busy doing all the other stuff....that digger I took 3 weeks ago when whole bike went slamming at about 35mph+ into the rocks...bars look good still..
I'll change but I do like the way carbon handles chatter alot...

I'd trust that bar moreso than mine...mine are 31.8 and don't look to have the diameter and ridgitity of that one....I'm good with mine so far.

On that note my pnuemonia is gone enough and I was throwing #100 dumbells overhead incline last night...just have to watch breathing and had room to go up to #120s...tons of power ribs were holding and shoulder only gave me a little shit.....I'm back!!!!!HELL YEAH..

Broken ribs didn't give me shit, ac held even though after an hour and half it gets sore and sticks up....shit the broken hip I can't even tell you were I broke it lol....it's in the x-ray but it's not even a thought.

Gonna make a rid this weekend and then a couple days at summit....big bike and going to hammer down.....

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On the other hand, I'm loving my boys Nukeproof Mega.
Just the opposite of the Speshy. Simple, big bearings, piece of cake to work on.
How refreshing is that. I rebuilt a buddies Spesh Enduro swingarm bearings 6 months ago and it needed blind bearing pullers and all sorts of nonsense. To be fair, their pivots were well sealed and nice quality bearings but still it was fiddly with spacers and stuff.

Meanwhile that Kona Process I had used off-the-shelf, giant bearing sizes. Cheap, simple and robust albeit a bit heavy. Was a pleasure to work on that thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Built another CF wheel today.

Every time I build a CF wheel: Is it really this easy? I don't remember it being this easy....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Built another CF wheel today.

Every time I build a CF wheel: Is it really this easy? I don't remember it being this easy....
What's your take on cf rims?
I can lace em and build em but I need to do another set..27.5 rear 29 front for the new bike...
They are going to get beat on and I don't really want to have to add any worry...I don't worry till shit happens (usually too late by then) but I'd rather go in knowing some limits before I build..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's your take on cf rims?
I can lace em and build em but I need to do another set..27.5 rear 29 front for the new bike...
They are going to get beat on and I don't really want to have to add any worry...I don't worry till shit happens (usually too late by then) but I'd rather go in knowing some limits before I build..
See PM

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What rim?
A 65mm fat, re-building with a new hub, spokes and nipples. It's also got the alternating spoke holes, L flange holes are on the L side of the rim, R flange holes are on the R side, that makes it stupid-easy.