Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I lied more bike repair stuff lol...so this is PRS-02 #3...$160 so had to go to Los Angeles and get it...got big plans for fork stand on bench using this stand ....it doesn't have a big plate for metal base but I have one .. I think for price I'll get creative with a highly moveable and lockable fork stand that will adjust from steer tube to lowers to hold onto..mordered runner clamp pads.
Going to dump the crappy arm I had on table.View attachment 167758View attachment 167759
Consider mounting it to the ceiling, near a wall. Same functionality without a footprint, although you can't easily move it around.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Consider mounting it to the ceiling, near a wall. Same functionality without a footprint, although you can't easily move it around.
I looked and there's no wall room by shock tuning area...the wall is all monitors and tools...left Is compressor cabinet and it's to far of a run past it...if you see an area or idea by all means let me know I can fabricate about anything

Pretty filled to left and right but I may also be overlooking a spot that would keep counter space open...that would be helpful
20211119_232355.jpg
20211119_232339.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@Nick
I can't see doind a ceiling mount tucked away I looked.. now possibly a wall mount just need to make sure it pushes out of way.

In pics if you see a spot have a pic or ideas let me know or if anyone else has an idea...

I'm slammed with wheels and shocks so I will have to put doing it off a couple days...so ideas welcome and we have some time.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The rear wheel tracks better and better the more weight I put on the bb. I like it and want to make the heaviest chain guide I can. Winter project.
Would heavier cranks accomplish the same thing?

Also, I don't quite understand why a heavier bb area would make the rear wheel track better?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Also, I don't quite understand why a heavier bb area would make the rear wheel track better?
It would but to a lesser extent unless you meant multiple pairs and then it could but packaging might be tricky. It is changing the relationship between sprung and unsprung mass. It takes a lot of weight to get it to start cornering like an ebike. I wouldn’t ride it all the time like that but sometimes the speeds and tracks make it a viable option.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd wanted some of those a few weeks ago but they weren't available yet.
They just popped up as in stock at all the usual online stores earlier this week. I got mine from WWC but also got in-stock notifications from Universal, Fanatik, etc.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What's the benefit of thicker rotors, more heat soak?
EDIT- Have Sram painted every second spoke with conductive paint, if so what's the science there.
Next year they will probably get a 3.5% improvement by releasing rotors with conductive paint on every spoke.

I still like the look of the Intend rotors, sounds like there's some science behind them.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's the benefit of thicker rotors, more heat soak?
EDIT- Have Sram painted every second spoke with conductive paint, if so what's the science there.
Next year they will probably get a 3.5% improvement by releasing rotors with conductive paint on every spoke.

I still like the look of the Intend rotors, sounds like there's some science behind them.
More heat capacity. If you do a lot of real steep stuff, like 45% grades that don't let up, you tend to find the limits of 200mm rotors pretty fast IME. Bigger rotor is good, but even that bigger rotor needs a little more thickness for rigidity, but the thickness mainly adds more mass for heat capacity, like big steel rotors on a car. I'd imagine 2.0 works fine with most brakes, but a few are meant to work with much more, like some TRP and Hope models.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got them mostly because thicker = harder to bend (noticed this when I ran Maguras), but a little more braking power sounds good too.

Since I checked when installing the rotors, I'm amazed at how long these MTX Gold pads are lasting. By far the longest of any pad I've used, with better than SRAM bite and quieter too.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
More heat capacity. If you do a lot of real steep stuff, like 45% grades that don't let up, you tend to find the limits of 200mm rotors pretty fast IME. Bigger rotor is good, but even that bigger rotor needs a little more thickness for rigidity, but the thickness mainly adds more mass for heat capacity, like big steel rotors on a car. I'd imagine 2.0 works fine with most brakes, but a few are meant to work with much more, like some TRP and Hope models.
surface area > mass

1638029950120.jpeg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
surface area > mass

View attachment 167971

Oh, I agree, a 220/225 gives you a lot more surface area and mass, small increases in diameter=large increases in surface area and circumference. Smaller thicker rotors are kind of a stop-gap in some cases, where the larger rotor brings a lot more to the table, more stopping power, heat capacity, cooling, etc.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Oh, I agree, a 220/225 gives you a lot more surface area and mass, small increases in diameter=large increases in surface area and circumference. Smaller thicker rotors are kind of a stop-gap in some cases, where the larger rotor brings a lot more to the table, more stopping power, heat capacity, cooling, etc.
i was more hinting in direction of these 777 holes per disc in 223mm, that increases surface area by a lot

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nice, overlooked that.
Didn't Cornelius stopped offering them because they were to difficult to make? He said that many of them came warped from the factory, which customers (rightfully) would not tolerate. Could be fixed with manually aligning them, but was nothing worth his time. I wonder what Brakestuff changed to make this work.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

In my first year of DH on a hardtail I went pretty light with parts, swapping from light cranks to Profile's heaviest cranks made the bike feel so much more stable.
I remember Dirt mag saying the weight being low down on the bike making it ride better was BS because the rider on top made the frame's low COG(COM?) a moot point.
I don't think they were 100% correct though as the bike weights and unweights your contact points a lot of times on a decent DH run and you'd surely feel a top heavy bike's bad traits on some off camber chop.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Some from him as well...some from a buddy who runs Maytec wc and I did get a couple.coming in from fox...

I will vouge for his tools for sure...John5w76 makes amazing stuff I am grabbing a formula piston tool....a few fox wrenches as well...

Having my buddy do my rockshox and dvo stuff

Fox clamps will be ano orange, dvo will be green rockshox blue and cane creek black..