Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@bullcrew The shop is looking fantastic! If you are going that hard then look into fork bushing burnishing/sizing tools. I can usually make old shitters feel really good with those.

I need to organize my shit like you are doing there. Lista drawers hmmmm……

I started a new front triangle.
D8A34BA4-1DF2-4E86-868A-1E7365CC99F9.jpeg

3E4DFC18-A2F9-42A1-B3DA-C764B48E4257.jpeg

This time I spent a bit more effort on refinement of things I didn’t like aesthetically. Pretty happy with the improvements and I still can’t weld fer shit but it’s getting better… one day!

5193261F-1A31-40EE-9FC7-50BCA2C26B15.jpeg

Ziptie photoshop overlay render.
I might need a gusset on that dt/st junction. Maybe one like the Kona Process 111 DL
31532695-FD53-4284-B012-B4B8FA2FE5AC.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew The shop is looking fantastic! If you are going that hard then look into fork bushing burnishing/sizing tools. I can usually make old shitters feel really good with those.

I need to organize my shit like you are doing there. Lista drawers hmmmm……

I started a new front triangle.
View attachment 168043

View attachment 168094

This time I spent a bit more effort on refinement of things I didn’t like aesthetically. Pretty happy with the improvements and I still can’t weld fer shit but it’s getting better… one day!

View attachment 168045

Ziptie photoshop overlay render.
I might need a gusset on that dt/st junction. Maybe one like the Kona Process 111 DL
View attachment 168093
I like that ALOT BETTER..that down tube is clean...I'd go slap some air miles on that and probably with a ton of ear to ear grinning...knowing you made it,it has some clean lines now...that's just bad ass...

Take only 1 top tube back then do a tube from higher up on front of tune to several inches in front of it on top tube...
That line you have from top tube down to rear wheel it follows rear triangle amazingly well giving the bike a fast look sitting thereid your trying to fill in space then just make the top tube from a bit larger tube...

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nice. Super-distinctive. Where are you getting the rocker-arms, are they Scott?
Yes, it is from a carbon Gambler so it’s super light and very stiff. I wanted to have chassis compliance without sideloading bearings and shocks. Light, precise and stiff rear end mixed with the flex and compliance of a steel front end. Kind of like a KTM dirt bike.

It still needs some gussets, cable guides and the bb chased.

0932890A-2D52-40C4-AA02-FB86DF1BD6FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Yes, it is from a carbon Gambler so it’s super light and very stiff. I wanted to have chassis compliance without sideloading bearings and shocks. Light, precise and stiff rear end mixed with the flex and compliance of a steel front end. Kind of like a KTM dirt bike.

View attachment 168127
What will you name your bike?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

View attachment 168127
Yep that's dead sexy... good job man..that's super impressive...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I guess this fits in as a new 'toy'. Over the summer I sold my house w/ my beloved garage and ended up w/ a new project of sorts in an auxiliary garage/storage space in our new house. Lot's of 'love' went into this one but I am really psyched on the result. The best part of the new shop is the trail drops right out of the door and dumps into our local network. I am sure I won't actually work on anything in here though, probably just drink beer and listen to the Melvin's .

Before:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I guess this fits in as a new 'toy'. Over the summer I sold my house w/ my beloved garage and ended up w/ a new project of sorts in an auxiliary garage/storage space in our new house. Lot's of 'love' went into this one but I am really psyched on the result. The best part of the new shop is the trail drops right out of the door and dumps into our local network. I am sure I won't actually work on anything in here though, probably just drink beer and listen to the Melvin's .

Before:

Can't believe you gave up your wonderful workshop with the marvellous window and piss pot. Also a lot of your fork collection seems to got lost during moving. You had to leave in a hurry? :busted:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah crazy right? The piss pot was thrown away, I just walk out that garage door in the room and have a giant bathroom in the woods. I'll snap a photo of the outside in a bit here...

The fork collection is still in tact, it's just in a box in the garage until I figure out what to do w/ it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is fucken amazing. Wish we still had the rep system. So jealous of that cave.
Thanks man! Lot's of time went into making it right. I probably have some more to do but had to stop somewhere for now...Once I clean up the trail i'll post a couple pics of that.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

That is so sick! The lighting is awesome! Nice.

What will you name your bike?
I have no idea. I keep thinking I am just learning how to weld and these won’t be rideable but then they seem good to go. I am surprising myself here and wasn’t ready for this just yet. I thought it would take a lot longer to have something rideable actually. But I think maybe Biddo, that was my dog’s name when I was a kid.

Yep that's dead sexy... good job man..that's super impressive...
Thanks! This one looks so good compared to the last one. Silhouette wanking!
I have to run it at 190mm or less rear travel because the piggyback hits the DT at end stroke.

8ECF2DF6-B5F2-4CE6-9A60-86C39841AE95.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'd leave it 190mm ... there really isn't a reason to pull another 10 to 20mm...get a shock tune for it and match rear shock to fork..
I love the looks and dialed in it would look amazing..the lines are sleek and they don't budge ...top tube almost dead down rear triangle....mess with head tube a bit get it tied in a smidge and I'd ride one no doubt...

Screenshot_20211201-215247_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'd leave it 190mm ... there really isn't a reason to pull another 10 to 20mm...get a shock tune for it and match rear shock to fork..
I love the looks and dialed in it would look amazing..the lines are sleek and they don't budge ...top tube almost dead down rear triangle....mess with head tube a bit get it tied in a smidge and I'd ride one no doubt...
Yep, I agree. Anyways, I can’t tell the difference between 190mm and 200mm unless it is incredibly rough and I am riding out of my mind just banging the bottom out bumper. In my 40ies that rarely happens anymore. Injuries and a perpetually sore back makes me smoother than I’d like but hey!

Any ideas for headtube shapes?

I started a ST gusset like the one you drew there and I thought it was too imposing and made the top look too, something something…. I might do the smallest gusset possible just so I don’t have too many issues with seatpost fitting and reaming. It might be a mix between look, function and ease of fabrication by a novice. Why don’t you come shred Châtel Bike Park next summer and give me a hand?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@buckoW
There is a steel is real Facebook group with a few frame builders in it that could give you some advice

Nice looking frame by the way !

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yep, I agree. Anyways, I can’t tell the difference between 190mm and 200mm unless it is incredibly rough and I am riding out of my mind just banging the bottom out bumper. In my 40ies that rarely happens anymore. Injuries and a perpetually sore back makes me smoother than I’d like but hey!

Any ideas for headtube shapes?

I started a ST gusset like the one you drew there and I thought it was too imposing and made the top look too, something something…. I might do the smallest gusset possible just so I don’t have too many issues with seatpost fitting and reaming. It might be a mix between look, function and ease of fabrication by a novice. Why don’t you come shred Châtel Bike Park next summer and give me a hand?
Would love to come ride sometime for sure, and ride that thing . I think you did the hardest part aside of making it ...and that's clean lines and flow...I'll knock around some designs for head tube a bit better flow and tie it into the whole design. I just can't get over the fact you made that lol...for a first timer run it's more like an old pro..you did badass....
Screw being a novice, you either have an eye for it or don't... man it has so much potential....

I know I keep saying I really like the look....it hits where alot of big companies just miss the mark....

Agreed with above a head tube badge would be badass..
Just need to find a way to fill that intersecting connection in and make it more even...

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Auxiliary garage. Does that suggest that this is a secondary garage, and not the primary? It looks like it's attached to the house... so that would mean two garages, both attached to the house?

Dramatic transformation, congrats! Lots of black going on in there? How's it to work in there w/ the door shut?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Auxiliary garage. Does that suggest that this is a secondary garage, and not the primary? It looks like it's attached to the house... so that would mean two garages, both attached to the house?

Dramatic transformation, congrats! Lots of black going on in there? How's it to work in there w/ the door shut?
Thanks Dump! The house has a 2 car primary garage but back in the day the previous owners put an addition on where they included a 3rd garage under the house which doesn't connect to a driveway (pics below).

As for the black, I have about 13 lights in the space. For the photos I only had a few of them on and stopped my camera down a bit. I can make it really bright if I have them all on at the same time. I knew I wanted dark colors in there so I went a bit crazy w/ extra lights to eliminate any concerns.

Last edited: