Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks Dump! The house has a 2 car primary garage but back in the day the previous owners put an addition on where they included a 3rd garage under the house which doesn't connect to a driveway (pics below).

As for the black, I have about 13 lights in the space. For the photos I only had a few of them on and stopped my camera down a bit. I can make it really bright if I have them all on at the same time. I knew I wanted dark colors in there so I went a bit crazy w/ extra lights to eliminate any concerns.

That's pretty amazing I'd say. Imagine they put it in for the kids and/or toys... I imagine they used a garage door as a utility sort of opening... but what more could you ask for as rider? Test out your mechanical work with a drop right onto the steep. Brilliant!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That's pretty amazing I'd say. Imagine they put it in for the kids and/or toys... I imagine they used a garage door as a utility sort of opening... but what more could you ask for as rider? Test out your mechanical work with a drop right onto the steep. Brilliant!
The women who sold it to us said her husband had a desk in there and would smoke cigars w/ the garage door open while he worked. Pretty sweet setup for him back in the day and now for me...The steep is so cool, the uphill after to get to the rest of the trail network is a bit of a rough start but I'll take it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The women who sold it to us said her husband had a desk in there and would smoke cigars w/ the garage door open while he worked. Pretty sweet setup for him back in the day and now for me...The steep is so cool, the uphill after to get to the rest of the trail network is a bit of a rough start but I'll take it.
I see a platform down there. Mind starts to wander...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Got a good deal on it new...BTS-1
View attachment 168255
“I want that.“

I dunno about shapes, but I would love to see a classic head tube badge!
View attachment 168222
Yes! I will have a think about how I could do something nicer than just dremeling the night away.

@buckoW
There is a steel is real Facebook group with a few frame builders in it that could give you some advice

Nice looking frame by the way !
Thanks! I never signed up for FB. I will see if I can have a look in there.

Would love to come ride sometime for sure, and ride that thing . I think you did the hardest part aside of making it ...and that's clean lines and flow...I'll knock around some designs for head tube a bit better flow and tie it into the whole design. I just can't get over the fact you made that lol...for a first timer run it's more like an old pro..you did badass....
Screw being a novice, you either have an eye for it or don't... man it has so much potential....

I know I keep saying I really like the look....it hits where alot of big companies just miss the mark....

Agreed with above a head tube badge would be badass..
Just need to find a way to fill that intersecting connection in and make it more even...
Thanks! With my work at Scott, I have been exposed to a lot of bike design and engineering over the years. Many heated arguments about these details. Doing it like this let’s me do whatever I want without balancing compromises for multiple end users. Even just mixing steel and carbon would never be possible because there‘s no demand. The end users define a lot more of the design criteria than many people think.

I am planning of gusseting those areas. To tell you the truth… I managed to avoid introducing too much heat this time so the bb stayed true and didn‘t need any facing and chasing as well as the headtube stayed roundish. I will do something but I was just hesitant about more heat. The pulse settings seem to decrease the heat a lot. I just need to go for it…. it seems to be working.

Careful with that. Not sure how sue-happy these guys are: https://www.beddo.de
I have no plans on naming it or selling it so i doubt I will have any problems. Also, I know Marius Hoppensack and even sponsored him with Scott Voltages before he started Beddo. I have a bunch of pics I took of him back then. He has amazing style! My second dog‘s name was Gus. That could also work.

Btw, beddo is slang for a joint in French. Are you French or Flemmish?

I made her some nice half sphere hardware on a lathe out of Ti, Alu and Stainless steel. Now I definitely need a nice headtube badge. I want to harness the skills of @AngryMetalsmith without the anger.

8B534093-469F-4CC2-8F55-20CC9196A49D.jpeg

Btw, The soundtrack to these has been to Fonki Chef on YouTube. If anyone is interested.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I want to harness the skills of @AngryMetalsmith without the anger.
Acquiring all those skills is how I got so angry. Careful what you wish for.

Yeah, you should definitely make a head-tube badge. They're fun. Just make it flat first then form it to fit a slightly smaller diameter tube once you get the design where you like it. This will allow for some compensation for metal memory. You can rivet it in place but that requires drilling holes in your frame. Epoxy is a less invasive alternative. I've had good success with Epoxy 330. It's a good idea to score both surfaces to be bonded with a file to give it some tooth.

Good luck, and don't hit your thumb.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I ask him for feedback and he sent me some pictures. He mentioned that there should be no weld perpendicular to the tube direction in the end of the gusset, it would create stress.
Screenshot_20211203-115834_Messenger.jpg

He does his seat tubes like that
received_1588700101467636.jpeg

He uses a reamer in both cases

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Acquiring all those skills is how I got so angry. Careful what you wish for.

Yeah, you should definitely make a head-tube badge. They're fun. Just make it flat first then form it to fit a slightly smaller diameter tube once you get the design where you like it. This will allow for some compensation for metal memory. You can rivet it in place but that requires drilling holes in your frame. Epoxy is a less invasive alternative. I've had good success with Epoxy 330. It's a good idea to score both surfaces to be bonded with a file to give it some tooth.

Good luck, and don't hit your thumb.
Ok great! Thanks for the pointers. I think I will make an owl headtube badge because I was up at 4 more than a few times practicing tig welding with my coffee, haha.

I ask him for feedback and he sent me some pictures. He mentioned that there should be no weld perpendicular to the tube direction in the end of the gusset, it would create stress.
View attachment 168275

He does his seat tubes like that
View attachment 168276

He uses a reamer in both cases
Ok cool! Thanks for asking him. I like his ht gussets there and will do something similar. IHowever, it is a pow day today and the resort opens up in a few hours. I might be building snowboards for a few months and come back to this when the snow is suboptimal. Would you mind asking him his settings on the welder?

I really want a seat post reamer. That part of my process is not dialed. Because I am simply shimming a 35mm tube and not doing it the right way with a proper upper seat tube insert (like your buddy there), I can’t use a standard size reamer. I will have to find something or figure out those Seat tube inserts.

On my first frame I did this dt gussets but I was more thinking about dispersing the load and not creating a stress riser.

1C07CF83-44D6-4691-8D53-CA579854E1E6.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i made two head tube badges with shears, then a file, an industrial sharpie, and cheap aluminum sheeting. one was a hand giving the middle finger and the other was a (hate)tank. they looked only semi ghetto. they were for an old sc jackal that i rawed, overforked, and messed around on for a while. it was awful. :rofl: need to sign up for photobucket for a month and reclaim all my old photos...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The picks of gussets at head tube is actually a good route with proper length....it will fatten the tubes up and displace the size difference...

Also a seat tune like above is good same length of close too, but do a bend..a mild radius looks amazing too many triangles and straight tubes screams lack of bending skills....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
One of the Greatest tools created by Park..just grabbed these and have the torx coming...slide t-handle, extractor, a high torque end a low torque end and a spinning middle for fast turning...

Ok its between these and my BB chaser.talked my buddy into buying a new BB and cranks so I can use it this weekend...lol

20211203_211546.jpg

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Would you mind asking him his settings on the welder?
Pre flow 0,5sec per meter & efter Slope down pulse

Old Kemppi master 1500 tig. He doesn't use pulse so often. He has a pedal but barely uses it.
(This is what I translated from Swedish with very little knowledge about welding. FWIW :D)
Screenshot_20211204-114000_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20211204-113953_Messenger.jpg

This is the Swedish forum where he posts about his projects if he you want to dive in. He posts a lot of pictures and Google translate is quite good these days.

That his insta. Don't hesitate to contact him directly, he was quite curious about your project!

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
“I want that.“

Yes! I will have a think about how I could do something nicer than just dremeling the night away.

Thanks! I never signed up for FB. I will see if I can have a look in there.

Thanks! With my work at Scott, I have been exposed to a lot of bike design and engineering over the years. Many heated arguments about these details. Doing it like this let’s me do whatever I want without balancing compromises for multiple end users. Even just mixing steel and carbon would never be possible because there‘s no demand. The end users define a lot more of the design criteria than many people think.

I am planning of gusseting those areas. To tell you the truth… I managed to avoid introducing too much heat this time so the bb stayed true and didn‘t need any facing and chasing as well as the headtube stayed roundish. I will do something but I was just hesitant about more heat. The pulse settings seem to decrease the heat a lot. I just need to go for it…. it seems to be working.

I have no plans on naming it or selling it so i doubt I will have any problems. Also, I know Marius Hoppensack and even sponsored him with Scott Voltages before he started Beddo. I have a bunch of pics I took of him back then. He has amazing style! My second dog‘s name was Gus. That could also work.

Btw, beddo is slang for a joint in French. Are you French or Flemmish?

I made her some nice half sphere hardware on a lathe out of Ti, Alu and Stainless steel. Now I definitely need a nice headtube badge. I want to harness the skills of @AngryMetalsmith without the anger.

View attachment 168270

Btw, The soundtrack to these has been to Fonki Chef on YouTube. If anyone is interested.

bike is looking so sick. Big up.
Fonki Cheff rocks

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Awesome project!!!

AFAIK Beddo is now owned by someone else.
Found it: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/beddo-marius-hoppensack-hands-over-his-bike-brand-to-malik-haase-2016.html

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So in a Bullcrew-worthy moment, I just tried to order an electric hot water ‘pressure’ washer. I have never shopped for such a thing. I don’t really care about the pressure, but a hot water rinse would be perfect for rinsing off the soils around here. And I could use it for driveway/car/deck tasks.
Saw some cheap ones, no heat, or more expensive gas ones, which I don’t want.
Then I found the one! A Hotsy 333.
Goddamn, it is $3300.
Wonder how much for a plumber to run a hot spigot to the outside of the house?

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I finally got fed up with having 4 bikes (2 of mine, wife's townie, kid's 16") cluttering up half of the garage in floor racks, so I impulse bought 4 SteadyRacks. The kid's bike is probably a bit too small still, but when he moves up to 20" next year it'll be fine.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I finally got fed up with having 4 bikes (2 of mine, wife's townie, kid's 16") cluttering up half of the garage in floor racks, so I impulse bought 4 SteadyRacks. The kid's bike is probably a bit too small still, but when he moves up to 20" next year it'll be fine.
I gave those a hard look, but we have 10 bikes so even putting half of them up would be waaaay too much $.

Found lots of DIY versions on the 'tube. Some are pretty good, swing and all, and are about $10/rack.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I gave those a hard look, but we have 10 bikes so even putting half of them up would be waaaay too much $.

Found lots of DIY versions on the 'tube. Some are pretty good, swing and all, and are about $10/rack.
Given the wobbliness of my DIY 2x4 bike floor racks, tote shelves, and weight racks, I have no reservations with paying for a real product.

Having to find racks for 10 bikes is a nice problem to have. There's no way I could fit that many in our garage since "someone" insists on parking her car inside, despite it never getting below 50 degrees here, ever.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've got 3 wooden 2x4" and 2x6" constructed racks each holding 4 bikes with no issues. Sized from road bike friendly up to fat bike friendly tyre widths. Anything I tried to buy was shite and couldn't cope with all the required tyre sizes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
For teh garvel bike. As it's getting more miles on trail, I felt like adding a bit of insurance to the rear wheel.
IMG_0012.JPG