Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
For some reason I thought they were most aluminum.

I still say grab a set of winter tires and go for it. :busted: I remember perhaps Motor Trend way back in the day saying they had one for a few days, but it just so happened to snow during that time. And they loved it, it did well.

But yeah sweet car and that one with the blacked out blade thing on the side looks nice - was never a fan of those being different colours. I drove one in Vegas way way back and the brakes on it....god damn, I was not expecting that.
Yeah I was doing about 85 into a redlight yesterday and man do they shut the speed down asap, best brakes i've ever driven that's for sure. They must be made by trickstuff

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stoked to try out some of my Fall mods in AZ over the next two weeks. I can't get super aggro, but I can ride trails and downhill and go fast enough to see if stuff is working good. TTX22 has a 388 coil that should be "just right", the Tech 4 brake, HC97 mod...new DHF/DHR rubber.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@Jm_ how do you gonna know what is doing what with so many changes?
Ive bracketed the spring rate between 350 and 400, earlier in the summer. The zeb with secus and my rebound mods (lighter midvalve spring and modded rebound piston) was close to equal for control compared to my avy coil lyrik, but only due to the larger stanchions. It’s definitely more harsh for damping and im only able to charge through the rough in a similar style due to holding the wheel straighter with the increased stiffness. The secus spring is definitely good, but the best spring won’t fix damping, so we shall see. Moar power for the brakes with trp 2.3 223 is always welcome.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Not quite a new whip or toy but my new bike workshop cabin turned up today!
A mate gave me one of his 4m x 2.5m site offices from his construction company that he had no use for.
A bit of rapid digging and building of the foundations when I got back from Crankworks on Monday and now I have a new workshop for the bikes!
Bonus points is that as it was a construction site office it's armored to fuck, so my gear should be nice and secure!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Haven't ran the luftkappe..keep hearing great things about it, takes the edge off the progressive nature of air.

Burnished the bushings on fox 38.....a TON better
I run Secus in that fork now, but Craig said it is unnecessary as the coil in the damper removes the need for a fancy air spring; and I already have a Luftkappe which is much nicer than the stock air piston.
I wish I could get someone burnish the bushings on the 36 locally, but I assume that after a year of riding the bushings should be in an OK state anyway.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I burnished some bushings on a 18 36...tight as hell still

break in only knocks down high spots and leaves it against stanchions...no real oil film...I burnished them and the stanchions would literally flow in..did aSID a few years old and same thing.. had to step on lowers to hold it oiled up the tool and fought it...customer asked what I did to his fork it was smoother than any other service

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
And now for new whip news.
As last night it was finally officially announced that it exists & I don't have to worry about the NDA anymore.
I have a New 2023 Orbea Wild H20 on it's way (Getting the H20 as it has the bigger battery & I plan to swap out a bunch of parts so no point in getting the blingier ones).
I have almost all of the upgrade parts on hand already, just need to sort a coil shock and build up some lighter & stronger wheels.

Sold the Orbea Rise this morning.... Took all of 1 hour to sell lol

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 1.29.33 PM.png

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think dougal was saying the damping is mega heavy. That would be consistant with my ohlins rear shock, but a retune helped a lot (and its still “stuck” to the ground like glue).
The Ohlins stuff feels crazy heavy damped in the carpark but they ride pretty well on trail and don't do any weird shit. Plus they look sweet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Ohlins stuff feels crazy heavy damped in the carpark but they ride pretty well on trail and don't do any weird shit. Plus they look sweet.
My rear shock does, after a retune, it was deflecting off bumps closer to the ext before, it still feels heavily damped, just not deflecting like a bad air-shock bad like the ext coil.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is that above the Arctic Circle?
You would know better! Although, I have been to a summer solstice music festival at The North Pole though.

It’s the website with all the official shim stack tunes where he can see what he’s got IF he needs to change anything for his Greek statue build.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You would know better! Although, I have been to a summer solstice music festival at The North Pole though.

It’s the website with all the official shim stack tunes where he can see what he’s got IF he needs to change anything for his Greek statue build.
So its a secret? Do peasant consumers have access?

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ahh, so its a secret. Gotta keep those secrets from the peasant consumers.
What? Conspiracy stuff again?
You know how to reshim a shock, I think. I’ll give you the valve codes for the soft tunes if you’d like. It’s just a couple of c clips to pull the shock apart.

I thought he might have an account or could get a password.