Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Put the extra thin one on top of the slightly thinner one, and follow that with the slightly wider one that has the one beveled edge, facing upwards.
That should do it if you are between 60 and 80 kilos, and ride ‘aggressively’.

HTH.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Put the extra thin one on top of the slightly thinner one, and follow that with the slightly wider one that has the one beveled edge, facing upwards.
That should do it if you are between 60 and 80 kilos, and ride ‘aggressively’.

HTH.

Where do the MOAR shimz go?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New maxxis 2.5/2.4 rubber was on point in Sedona. Hope T4 w/223 2.3 was great, never really thought about it much because it was working so well. Didnt think much about the Ohlins either. Hit some some good steep stuff. Push HC97, wtf? Seems you can dial in a ton of harshness, or maybe what others call “support”, but seems pretty miserable at bump absorption, which im not totally surprised by, given it appears to be a cartridge emulator design. Either that or its only designed for flow trails with 60 foot jumps and not chunky…

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New maxxis 2.5/2.4 rubber was on point in Sedona. Hope T4 w/223 2.3 was great, never really thought about it much because it was working so well. Didnt think much about the Ohlins either. Hit some some good steep stuff. Push HC97, wtf? Seems you can dial in a ton of harshness, or maybe what others call “support”, but seems pretty miserable at bump absorption, which im not totally surprised by, given it appears to be a cartridge emulator design. Either that or its only designed for flow trails with 60 foot jumps and not chunky…
I think @Nick had one in his rfx lyrik

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Time to call Craig? :brows:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@buckoW
Fox is .03 to .15 per spec. I do .07 to .10 and no issues...I'd be inclined to take stuff to .15
So you think my 38.18 insert could work in a Fox 38? I think I’ll get some spare bushings just in case I have some loose bushing brake rattle. Or just give it a go and see.

Some race teams size the fork bushings pretty loose and they feel incredible. How far they go is the question. I have 2 sizes for a 40 and the loose one isn’t rattly so I could go farther.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting…. 38.18 on this Ohlins one. I’d like to get one for a Fox 38 because I think .18 oversize might cause a rattle in a Fox? What do you think? Should I fine a smaller one for a Fox?

View attachment 185206
Dougal was saying if the gap is bigger, use thicker oil…theres a hydro film that will take a theoretical fixed amount…but at what point is it too much?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Dougal was saying if the gap is bigger, use thicker oil…theres a hydro film that will take a theoretical fixed amount…but at what point is it too much?
Yes! That’s the idea. It’s too much when you the brake rattle and until that point, it’s moar butter. I like to size the bushings everytime the fork becomes funny. It makes a tired old 40 feel like new and makes a big difference. My wife rides too much DH and gets arm pump irritation that lasts for months. This helps more than anything else I’ve tried.

@bullcrew Here are my Fox 40 inserts.

1669083112999.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like to size the bushings everytime the fork becomes funny. It makes a tired old 40 feel like new and makes a big difference. My wife rides too much DH and gets arm pump irritation that lasts for months. This helps more than anything else I’ve tried.
I thought you size them once for life? Do they spring back eventually?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Its the one on the left: View attachment 185204

i had about .75” travel in reserve, but pressure seems to be getting ridiculously low…
what are you showing me here James. You aren't running <20% sag are you? My experience with the hc97 has been really positive, but YMMV and all that. A 'typical' trail ride on that fork leaves a bit of bottom out travel, unless I fuck up and smash something unplanned.

(edit: less than 20, not moar)

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I thought you size them once for life? Do they spring back eventually?
I thought that too but I think they must deform a bit. I see noticeable improvements everytime I do it. After asking around I’m told that you can get away with 4 or 5 times before needing to change the bushings out. I wonder if they ovalize a tiny bit and then get sticky.

@Nick Yeah, you put the precision shiny steel dildo into the fork hole. But only 1-3 times. It’s a quickie. There is a cone shape on the insert to guide you in. The Ohlins one bolts to the lower and you use a drill to walk the insert in and out of the fork. The Fox one has a t bar handle and you just push it through.

@bullcrew I think you can go above 38.18 for a DH 38 but not much.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
what are you showing me here James. You aren't running >20% sag are you? My experience with the hc97 has been really positive, but YMMV and all that. A 'typical' trail ride on that fork leaves a bit of bottom out travel, unless I fuck up and smash something unplanned.
Moar? No, sag is around 16-17% in the pic.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@buckoW
I'd give it a try and run 20 weight in lowers for lube 20cc each leg

I wouldn't think twice I'd try it

Also yes stanchions turn egg shaped while bent for and after on loading that's the reason bushings have marks front and rear, if tight they will have em side to side as well from deflected stress corners and berms..so bushings can move a smidge, marring is more likely. They are steel and lowers are magnesium which is softer but they can deform a bit if lowers are worked...

PLUS: single spring side allows the other non supported leg to dive first then the other goes down so not an even column load .part of the reason burnishing a bushing works so well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sorry, I had my arrow backward. don't you think 16% sag is a too little for a 170mm fork?
I measure it by how much travel I use. I had about 1/2” to 3/4 in reserve, did some pretty hard g-outs, but only small jumps and no hard/big drops. Seemed pretty normal. I reset to Pushes recommended. I can say i got to their recommended rebound by tuning, but they seem to be saying way moar HSC than i tried, so maybe thats the trick. Will try.