Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I guess yall just have to come to Canaderp then, where the man hasn't put in some overcomplicated nozzle thing. We don't judge. We just have a simple tube for our gas tanks.

#freedomgas

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Yep! I have a set from Mike incoming, too.

Ah, I see. I have 7 more weeks to wait (if things go well).

You can also find him on Pinkbike, search for bushing burnishing tool in the Classified.

Perhaps he does not sell them anymore? The bushing tool is no longer on his site, and some people on empty beer were complaining about him not responding to emails recently.
Oliver is very slow to respond. Like 3 weeks for me. Another 3 weeks to get a 34-40 kit made.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Here she sits with the Shigura setup - full I-spec lever attachments and 180mm rotors.

Hadley/ WAO Union mixed wheels and HRII DD rubber 2.5wt, front and rear.

Really impressed with this bike.

Resized_20221204_102829.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Burnishing tools..
Mike's good about getting back to people he is also a archeologist or something like that so he was on site recently so he had slow service but he is a stand up guy... We are looking to do a couple things , hes upgrading and adding some machines so we can get really cool tools made ..

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Push HC97, wtf? Seems you can dial in a ton of harshness, or maybe what others call “support”, but seems pretty miserable at bump absorption, which im not totally surprised by, given it appears to be a cartridge emulator design. Either that or its only designed for flow trails with 60 foot jumps and not chunky…
This has been my experience with the HC97 as well. It just beats the shit out of my hands.

In addition to the compression/rebound adjustments, I've played with air pressure, had the bushings sized, and serviced the fork again. None of which made any improvement in how poorly the fork dealt with bumpy/chunky terrain.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My Dominion A4s showed up and bolted on yesterday. Ashamed by the rush job I did installed and a hasty bleed to get out the door and test them but they worked fine. Bed in time was ridiculously short even with old rotors - about 3 stops.

Ergonomics work for me, power is outstanding. So far lever has had the consistent feel and bite point I experienced when I tested them on a friends bike at Maydena. The lever action is so light that you can feel the brake engage when you push the lever through trackside ferns. Might take some time to adjust to that, I accidentally braked a couple of times through some rough sections just from the weight of my finger on the lever.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Like that ti Frame. At the upper end of sizing, like the low seat stay for dropper...just read through their stuff...
He's a friend of mine. Alot of his marketing cracks me up. I wish they ran an XL size but they don't so I'm on the L. I'm 6'4" and have the saddle back in the rails and a 50mm stem. I don't feel cramped on it. When the saddle was centered it did feel cramped. I was skeptical I would fit well but now that I've got a few hundred miles I'm finding it's awesome.

The ti frames are cool. They first ti batch he did were cracking in the seat stays but the aluminum frames haven't had an warranty claims. Honestly I had written off aluminum hardtails over a decade ago. Never thought I'd stoop to that level again. Boy was I wrong. Haha all my other bikes are collecting dust.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Things have issues, things can be overseen and corrected so one batch with issues doesn't make me pass judgement on a company if it's a ongoing item then yeah but if they address it and correct it no big deal ..yeah I haven't had a aluminum HT since my old Santa Cruz.. I'll read a bit more on them..mi like the concept

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I need to get a hardtail for out goofing off and dirt jumping...
Everybody needs a hardtail for that.

Steel frame and 430mm+ stays FTW, no way I'd go aluminum again.
If you lived over here I'd give you my Marino to try, it's by far my favourite frame to date but I'm gonna chop it up coz it's a bit rusty inside from neglect.
It's no dirt jumper though.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The other wheel finally showed up and was able to get in a night ride. Combined, they shed off about 9.2 oz (260g) from the Ibis Logo aluminum wheelset. Looking forward to seeing how they ride in comparison on more trails.
20221211_165024.jpg
20221215_084436.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Marino had very little rust inside, was surprised, looks better than my new frame when it arrived.
IMG_20221217_152428.jpg

EDIT- The Corsair was pretty funny when I cut it, the tubes shot out a few mm, they must have been under some serious tension, might be why it had a crack on a weld from new.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pinkbike rage gone bad?
I wasn't comfortable selling it as I really thought the internal rust would have been really bad and I could never get a post clamped in the thing without making it bind. I told myself I'd never get rid of it as it was the best frame I've ever had, things change, It's too much bike for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Look at all that gorgeous middle age spec stack height, mmmmm, good posture.
IMG_20221224_151500.jpg

Just swapped out the awful Ergon hand numbers for the deitys and chucked the black flite seat on it coz gooch sweat on a brow seat looks bad.

Bought the Saint cranks because of a clicking noise, bastard noise is still there. Stupid suspension bikes!

EDIT- The noise might be coming from the right hand dentist spec pedal, I'll swap it out to see.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Look at all that gorgeous middle age spec stack height, mmmmm, good posture.
View attachment 186748
Just swapped out the awful Ergon hand numbers for the deitys and chucked the black flite seat on it coz gooch sweat on a brow seat looks bad.

Bought the Saint cranks because of a clicking noise, bastard noise is still there. Stupid suspension bikes!
How does the new Archer remote work for you?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How does the new Archer remote work for you?
Haha, it just so happens that I have my bike upside down and I'm swearing at it.
I forgot that I rolled it back to 10spd after shortening a damaged chain.
Put a new chain on and have been swearing at the system for about a month, oh to be a moron.

The new one is great, no connection or ghost shift issues. The old one earned it's spot in the what's wrong with the industry thread, you couldn't design a worse piece of shit than the original remote.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Threw a Goldilocks hoop up front to try this mullet phenomenon and it was nice. Slightly slower handling, but it raised the BB up some, which was a welcome change on this bike. Although it may have cost me my #26-4-Lyfe membership card :(

View attachment 186913
Have you tried a Fidlock bottle/cage? I love mine, well except for the 500mL bottle size.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have not, but thats likely my next cage, as the one I have now is a cheap one that wants to eject my bottle.
With traditional cages I found the Specialized side exit to be pretty much AM hardtail proof, spent over $200 on bottles and cages before I got there, Topeak was the worst and Tune's Enduro rated carbon cage was a close second.
I find the Fidlock so much quicker to use and I can just get my Niterider battery and little bottle in the front triangle for shirt night rides.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
With traditional cages I found the Specialized side exit to be pretty much AM hardtail proof, spent over $200 on bottles and cages before I got there, Topeak was the worst and Tune's Enduro rated carbon cage was a close second.
I find the Fidlock so much quicker to use and I can just get my Niterider battery and little bottle in the front triangle for shirt night rides.
The cage I got from GG with my Smash has been pretty bad for rattling and ejecting the bottle. I just picked up a couple of the Specialized Zee II's to replace the cage on mine and wife's bikes. They're very secure on other bikes we have them on, but the upside down GG will be the real test.