Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hayes claims it does, which makes sense if that part of the caliper wants to spread open under load. As does the short lever and stuff bar mount. A smaller I.D. hose will help too.
Please tell me the thread is on the head end of the bolt only.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That's something your EXT distributor or service center should be able to change with an adjusted shim stack.

Also, less shimz? Blasphemy? RM ban incoming I'm afraid :butcher: :busted:
It's already got less shimz. I'm on the "light" tune, which still has more damping than a GRIP2 VVC fully closed lol. Apparently they only have 3 shim stack tunes they'll do for you. I can't even imagine who needs the "firm" one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I guess we need a dumb fatbike thread going, but I've never really looked into. Why would a manufacturer choose 177mm vs 197mm?

Are you limited to max tire width?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I guess we need a dumb fatbike thread going, but I've never really looked into. Why would a manufacturer choose 177mm vs 197mm?

Are you limited to max tire width?
197 came about when 2x was still a thing. Although you can run a lot of 4.4-4.6 tires with 177, the tire can rub the easiest rear cog, sometimes slightly, sometimes not at all. So 197 is basically too wide for most of the tires people run on fatbikes and could be at least 10mm narrower q-factor. It was made to accommodate 2x. Only the widest wide tires need 197, like Bud/Lou, Johnny 5, Snowshoe 2xl. Although those tires can be useful, I chose lower rolling resistance on the last Iditarod (as did most of the faster riders) and that was the right choice. Id argue that 177 can fit the tire needs of 99% of fat riders…especially if the bike is really designed for it. Look at what Otso (Wolftooth) is doing, they are making narrower q-factor fatbikes. Their latest is 177. Then there’s full suspension, although bracing angles may benefit, the entire bike has to be beefed up to some crazy big (and heavy) tube and pivot sizes to be reasonably strong and stiff. My Foes is 177, most other FS fatbikes have been as well. It’s another level of design to take that to 197 that really doesn’t do anything except add weight and decrease the strength. There are a few other holdouts, but i don’t think 177 is really going anywhere. Thats Otso’s latest release. Id like to see more like 187 instead of 197, but I digress. I ran D5s last year on the Foes. Wrathchilds this year (slightly bigger).

It kinda goes back to Q. 197 is really really wide. Yes, you get used to it…but again, way out there, significantly more than needed.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If I'm improving on what's already installed, I'm trying to consolidate as we've several bikes with 240/350's now.
So there are hubs, or not? I thought I saw some Hope 177s recently on Chain Reaction and others.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wait, 177 QR? I might have some for 26". Hopes, even.
Zero wrong with her fat bike currently. I managed to find one set of NOS DT 350 150/177 hubs on Mulefut rims and I put those on my bike - the whole wheelset only cost $330ish.

Chances of me finding another set is probably zero, so what I've been trying to find is another DT 177 hub.

The intent of the exercise is to get rid of the 3 pawl formula hubs the bikes came with.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Zero wrong with her fat bike currently. I managed to find one set of NOS DT 350 150/177 hubs on Mulefut rims and I put those on my bike - the whole wheelset only cost $330ish.

Chances of me finding another set is probably zero, so what I've been trying to find is another DT 177 hub.

The intent of the exercise is to get rid of the 3 pawl formula hubs the bikes came with.
I'm with you. My 148mm/110mm bikes are all on Hope hubs, and the two 177mm rear bikes as well. Only have to keep one spare freehub around, and picked up a spare 177mm Hope a while back. Just in case.

One Hadley and one King left in the fleet, and they won't give me any trouble other than bing old enough to not easily adapt to new sizes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Finding another 177 that can go on my wifes bike is proving difficult.
if push comes to shove, get in touch with these guys: https://wovenprecision.com/. They stock catalog hubs and have a variety of end caps to accomodate various axle standards. If shipping to the US is a problem, they're a block away from me; I'd be happy to pick it up and send it to you...

One of the owners is also part owner of my LBS (the other was one of his employees there). I've known them since they opened, 20 years ago. They hooked my up a couple of years ago when my hub went kaput and I couldn't find a replacement because of outdated standards...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
if push comes to shove, get in touch with these guys: https://wovenprecision.com/. They stock catalog hubs and have a variety of end caps to accomodate various axle standards. If shipping to the US is a problem, they're a block away from me; I'd be happy to pick it up and send it to you...

One of the owners is also part owner of my LBS (the other was one of his employees there). I've known them since they opened, 20 years ago. They hooked my up a couple of years ago when my hub went kaput and I couldn't find a replacement because of outdated standards...
Appreciate the suggestion, but I'm just looking to replace her working Formula rear hub, with a DT Swiss 350 if I can find one (DT Swiss discontinued the 177 as most fattys are 197 now). As the DT should be more reliable long term and matches most of the rest of our fleet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Big beefy fork.
Little itty-bitty axle. :rofl:
My big beefy fork is compensating for something (since someone on here thinks that lmfao)...

Yeah the smaller axle is kind of odd to me I liked 20mm...but fox, RS, ohlins and others seem to think it's good...not that what they think means shit to me lol, I like real world use not marketing hype...but no one has died yet due to it and someone's cousins, nephews grandma knows no one it's happened too ..yet

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dude, I think you are keeping Slik in business.
Do you own stock? :rofl:
Lol I diversified between stikrd and nsd designs...
I figure if it's all functional and I can trust it then add some curb appeal...but I will say Tim at slik is an incredible guy...
NLD (nldesigns.eu) had Laszlo who helped me do the new decals kit for the m16...this guy is really solid.....I will be running a majority of custom through him....
m16.jpg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Lol I diversified between stikrd and nsd designs...
I figure if it's all functional and I can trust it then add some curb appeal...but I will say Tim at slik is an incredible guy...
NLD (nldesigns.eu) had Laszlo who helped me do the new decals kit for the m16...this guy is really solid.....I will be running a majority of custom through him....View attachment 188642
How the fork working out for you? I would think the firmer compression over a Fox 38 would be nice for your weight.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How the fork working out for you? I would think the firmer compression over a Fox 38 would be nice for your weight.
It has a more supported feel, less dive and less wallowy.
Slapped it on the other day, ordered new green spokes and a 29" grade 300 hoop from i9..take front from 27.5 to 29" and mullet it..ordered green decals to tie it in till I change the decals..

Haven't rode it hard yet, lol was too busy doing up the fox 40 hybrid...I did take it out and rip some lines behind house and some hardcore parking lot curbing lol..
Yeah I like it a lot, got the rxf 38 on the other bike today needs a few things and it'll go out this weekend...
I'll order a ttx22m for the m16 then both bikes will be Ohlins...I do love the shock though...

Thanks for the input on ohlins made pulling the trigger easier.

I will say the new fox 40 hybrid air and Avy cart is a whole new level...that fork is RIDICULOUS...