Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Coz it's the bike industry, facts ain't shit.
I would like to see both versions of a 36 set for my weight at full compression on a testing rig.

From the seat of the pants feel I always thought my forks felt like they were getting weird on decent landings, but it may have been due to uneven spoke angles, off camber trail,my wonky shoulders or my brain just making shit up, coz 20mm.

I still think bigger is better for axle bolts as course threads and short levers give you little clamping force, same with a QR15/20, relying on a little bit of metal stretching or some plastic squashing to hold you lower under tension seems pretty stupid.
My last Marino frame had a fine thread axle bolt and you could really feel that thing getting to work. I like fine threads on clampy stuff, you can get decent clamping force with a multitool, my current frame has a course thread axle bolt and you hardly get anything on it with a regular multitool.

EDIT-
Gonna get me a new Vyron when they come back in to stock, I like the idea of it turning on when you push a button over a motion sensor with no on/off switch like the RS, I also like the sound of it being a bit slower than the Reverb. I got along with the old Vyron okay except for the shitty remote and the rattle.
1675417718546.png

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zeb 15mm or 36 20mm. I know which one Id take. Hell, Lyrik 15mm might still be stiffer than fox 36 in torsion.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Yes it feels that it would but what frame has pinch bolt on the rear axlr? And Boxxers left the pinch bolt design since 2008 or 2009. Probably after seing Vouilloz riding a Fox 40 with the arch cut :brows:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Regardless of axle size, wouldn't the way the fork clamps to it make a bigger difference?

Lots of different variables and the contribution of each one depends a lot on the value of others, a statically indeterminate system. Certainly axle diameter is part of it. But clearly it is the most important variable because the bike industry is staffed with idiot engineers from infomercials and a global cabal of lizard managers and they purposely left the best engineering solution on the table to spite you. They will bring it back again in ten years and everyone will complain that they are recycling ideas that didn't work in the first place.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Larger diameter will reduce torsional flex , I assume they are counting on hub flange being pinched to address the smaller shaft...I liked 20mm...
Saw some of this in NDT inspection on a project ...not bike related but smaller shaft had damage and street risers..(stress marks on end)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I presume the rockshox torque caps help with this as a bandaid instead of a 20mm axle.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I presume the rockshox torque caps help with this as a bandaid instead of a 20mm axle.
Those things make a difference hey. I thought they were a bit of a wank, maybe useful as an aid to make wheel insertion easier but there's enough of a difference that I considered taking them off to reduce fatigue on silly long stages

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've got a 20mm on the 100mm Reba I'm about to list for sale, perfect for your new moped!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
What is this garbage devilry?

”automatically adjusts to whatever axle standard you have”. ???

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
What is this garbage devilry?

”automatically adjusts to whatever axle standard you have”. ???
stay away…

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Fox, Shimano and Trek actually. I kinda scratched those three brands from my list because of this.
Oh cool! That 15mm axle is really holding me back from sending all the things. I would have hit all the double black lines if I had a 20. Hell maybe even the triple blacks!
1675542695377.png

I vote we petition for the results to be scrapped given the Trek and 15mm axle...