Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
can't see any of it but rebuilt rear wheel a few weeks ago with a buncha new spokes n nips; threw a 180 airshaft into teh fork (was 170); new \metal/ barzzzzzz. alles is gut. pretty sure the bike is mostly @kidwoo approved at this point. the vehicle, maybe not.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I wasn’t serious, just planting the seed to replace your perfectly good, $1200 PUSH, because the Lizards have infected my cranium.

(just paid for the eeWings, Oval Chainring, DD Dissector, XTR pedals, Galfer 2.3 mm 223 rotor, and a jug of Stan’s…oof)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I wasn’t serious, just planting the seed to replace your perfectly good, $1200 PUSH, because the Lizards have infected my cranium.

(just paid for the eeWings, Oval Chainring, DD Dissector, XTR pedals, Galfer 2.3 mm 223 rotor, and a jug of Stan’s…oof)
i'm thrifty, yo. that push was less than any other brand when jenson was blowing out nomad-specific ones for like $500 back in 2019...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Devil's advocate, if the hub shell, lowers, and interface are stiff as fuck, does the diameter of the axle really matter that much?
(I don't know, 'just asking questions', like Tucker Carlson) :wave:
The wife and I watch Tucker. Small world. He interviewed my kid's school principle/superintendent several months ago. I forget the reason.

Now if we could just get him to get more downhill directional trails! C'mon Tucker! :)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
New jewellery for riding in NE snot.

Curious. Do you run a chain guide too? Like a simple little guy from MrP?

Reason I ask is back in the day I'd put one of these on and then they'd wear out. Then no "drop stop" was happening. So I still needed a chain guide. So why buy a special chain ring?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Curious. Do you run a chain guide too? Like a simple little guy from MrP?

Reason I ask is back in the day I'd put one of these on and then they'd wear out. Then no "drop stop" was happening. So I still needed a chain guide. So why buy a special chain ring?
I am not sure I understand your question well. I don't run a chain guide, for me N/W chainrings and a good RD are good enough. When a N/W chainring wears out, it starts dropping chain and it is time for replacement. The steel one above should delay that moment significantly compared to alloy ones, we'll see.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am not sure I understand your question well. I don't run a chain guide, for me N/W chainrings and a good RD are good enough. When a N/W chainring wears out, it starts dropping chain and it is time for replacement. The steel one above should delay that moment significantly compared to alloy ones, we'll see.
I don't have that fancy steel ring, just the bog standard Race Face one, but it's been good so far. Other than the black coating wearing off the wide teeth, the profile of it all still looks new after a season of riding.

My previous aluminum rings would start dropping chains after a season and require a top guide at minimum to stay on in any chunk. I used to catch the chain trying to come off the ring in a counterclockwise manner - might have had something to do with the weak Sram eagle clutch though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Did the descendent TLD carbon and oval ring on one bike ..
Thought there was going to be an issue with one up alloy pedals but apparently they redid something, 1 small washer and it bottoms out perfect. Trimmed plastic boots and it's solid.
View attachment 188860View attachment 188861
Isn't the issue lack of threads making it into the crankarm? I know OneUp used to have the warning that their pedals shouldn't be used with SRAM carbon cranks.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just wanted to know if you ran a chain guide with the N/W chainring.

It's been a while, and I don't really buy N/W chainrings anymore as I still dropped chains. Usually after a couple months of use. But they DID work. For a bit. Wondering if they've improved any since then. But it's not like a 100gram piece of kit (MRP chain guide) is going to slow me down much. And I do love going fast over rocky terrain. So chain guide it is.

Mmmm. This snow needs to melt. I still haven't even installed my new fancy Ohlins rear shock.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Isn't the issue lack of threads making it into the crankarm? I know OneUp used to have the warning that their pedals shouldn't be used with SRAM carbon cranks.
The problem was the big shoulder for outboard bearing would not let it sit in...I measured threads against crampons , tmac and saints...all identical with exception of wider shoulder....
The stam cranks and one up pedals thread to the back of the threaded insert so there's full depth. 1 washer which I use on all cranks anywase...

If it doesn't work then we will see a follow up post on what have you broken lately and it might be awesome lol.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Good lord man, that seat post cable :panic:
Yeah it's a old fox doss the cable goes up with the post lolm..I use it to lasso road bikers when they get too close to the trail . spectators , spandex wearing atrocities fall into that category as well.

That damn post has NEVER been serviced and it's going on 7+ years old....so I tolerate it for it's reliability and always works.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
The problem was the big shoulder for outboard bearing would not let it sit in...I measured threads against crampons , tmac and saints...all identical with exception of wider shoulder....
The stam cranks and one up pedals thread to the back of the threaded insert so there's full depth. 1 washer which I use on all cranks anywase...

If it doesn't work then we will see a follow up post on what have you broken lately and it might be awesome lol.
lots of bikes with sram cranks come with washers ziptied to the cranks by the oem

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
lots of bikes with sram cranks come with washers ziptied to the cranks by the oem
Should make finding them easier then! Lol
Mine had no washers , I have some floating in boxes, I'd use a washer anywase and it offsets the recess of crank and bulk of the outboard bearing perfect. Alot of what i read was issues between the 2 apparently one up made a change (can't verify haven't checked) so they would work..assuming the threads I read and mine fit makes me believe they made a change.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
This. I've been using a Wolftooth stainless on one bike, the other bikes have basic SRAM steal cheapies. They all are fantasticly durable and long lasting compared to alloy versions, at the expense of a bit more weight.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I bought some Spank pedals last week and they include a set of washers which according to their installation manual should be used with cranks needing them. So my search began, do my XT cranks need them? Most useful information I found was this:

Even my house requires a washer. she washes clothes, dishes even makes me sandwiches...like a Swiss army washer.

Way more pros than cons, except 4 days a month I want to just get rid of it...but then I'd starve, be dirty.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Most aluminum cranks used to "require" and come with pedal washers back since at least the 80s, and they'd have a bit of a relief for that washer to sit into. That seems to no longer be true.

I've run modern cranks with and without them and consider them optional personally. I only use Shimano cranks without washers these days, and don't have any issues with overtorquing peds. YMMV if you use lower quality aluminum cheese cranks.

No idea about the carbunz.

I bought some Spank pedals last week and they include a set of washers which according to their installation manual should be used with cranks needing them. So my search began, do my XT cranks need them? Most useful information I found was this:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Most aluminum cranks used to "require" and come with pedal washers back since at least the 80s, and they'd have a bit of a relief for that washer to sit into. That seems to no longer be true.

I've run modern cranks with and without them and consider them optional personally. I only use Shimano cranks without washers these days, and don't have any issues with overtorquing peds. YMMV if you use lower quality aluminum cheese cranks.

No idea about the carbunz.
Same here. CS-M771, CS-M970 and CS-M8000 all came without them and I have never used some. Was surprised to find them in the Spank box so I started to look for some information.

Even my house requires a washer. she washes clothes, dishes even makes me sandwiches...like a Swiss army washer.

Way more pros than cons, except 4 days a month I want to just get rid of it...but then I'd starve, be dirty.
LMFAO

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My pedals came in. Got a smokin deal on le PB. The XTR cranks I picked up when my buddy was closing his LBS. He sold me the arms/spindle with no bits for $140. It took me a while to figure out what was needed for correct installation. Still not sure. I ordered the lock ring/washer and the wave washer. I haven't been able to find a diagram that shows proper installation but everything is tight and spinning free. I've got the wave washer on the drive side.

This is the new and improved tech but Hollowtech II was/is perfectly fine in my book.

Resized_20230207_142222.jpeg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
My pedals came in. Got a smokin deal on le PB. The XTR cranks I picked up when my buddy was closing his LBS. He sold me the arms/spindle with no bits for $140. It took me a while to figure out what was needed for correct installation. Still not sure. I ordered the lock ring/washer and the wave washer. I haven't been able to find a diagram that shows proper installation but everything is tight and spinning free. I've got the wave washer on the drive side.

This is the new and improved tech but Hollowtech II was/is perfectly fine in my book.

View attachment 188909
Which exact model is this, 9100, 9120, 9125 or 9130? I think Shimano offers relatively good info on their stuff. Here is the installation manual for said cranks:

and here the general overview

You should be able to find your answers.