Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@jonKranked yes. The arms gotta be tight and they have to spin free. That's where we be! Lookin forward to beating the poop out of those cranks.

In other news the Spitty has seen an upgrade also... lookin forward to beating the poop out of this mixed wheel monster.

Resized_20230207_151211.jpeg

Last edited:

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
The wife and I watch Tucker. Small world. He interviewed my kid's school principle/superintendent several months ago. I forget the reason.

Now if we could just get him to get more downhill directional trails! C'mon Tucker! :)
This is so disappointing, that man is despicable and literally been sued with Fox's defense being that nobody with any reasonable intelligence will believe what he says and they WON their defense with that argument.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Interesting to realise, for me, that XTR needs a wave washer while the other less shiny cranks don't. The preload is achieved in a different way from what I can see. But why?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Interesting to realise, for me, that XTR needs a wave washer while the other less shiny cranks don't. The preload is achieved in a different way from what I can see. But why?
The XTR cranks don't use the standard 2 pinch bolts/compression bolt that most all other Shimano cranks use. That wave washer is part of the compression ring and it works amazingly well. It is just turned by hand to preload the bearings and stays put. No split ring with a tiny bolt like most other brands that use a preload ring.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So got my DH bikes CCDB coil back from S4.
New adjuster assemblies, main shaft and a couple of internal gubbins.
Adjusters have a slightly different architecture, the shaft is thicker, the oil weight has been changed and the IFP pressure adjusted to accommodate the shaft differences. Or so I am told.

The good news is that it should perform better than what it was when new (2013) and bad news is the changes are signifigant enough that my current settings will be junk and I will have to re-baseline it. That would not be a big problem if we had a damn hill in Ontario. Don't really want to be doing this at Thunder in June. Looks like some local hike-a-bike will have to suffice to at least get it into the ballpark.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Adjusters have a slightly different architecture, the shaft is thicker, the oil weight has been changed and the IFP pressure adjusted to accommodate the shaft differences. Or so I am told.

The good news is that it should perform better than what it was when new (2013) and bad news is the changes are signifigant enough that my current settings will be junk and I will have to re-baseline it. That would not be a big problem if we had a damn hill in Ontario. Don't really want to be doing this at Thunder in June. Looks like some local hike-a-bike will have to suffice to at least get it into the ballpark.
I guess you don't know yet, but how was S4's service?

I've only ordered parts from them, haven't had them service or tune anything..yet.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
My S4 services were not very consistent. For a shock (X-Fusion O2) it was fine and they warrantied the work easily. But for my first DVO fork, they adjusted the travel to the wrong length (I paid for it) and they asked me how I measured it before taking it back to correct their mistake. I sent them a picture with a ruler and was a bit insulted. I had to warranty two Diamonds and they were great with that though.

Then I bought one of their own seal presses for my Helm and it was too big to fit behind the fork arch. They did not do anything to take it back and I re-ordered the RockShox one from them the next day. My last order from them was parts for my DVO shock and even if I gave them the part numbers, pictures and highlighted the important details, they did not order the right stuff and just figured it out a month after when they received their order. At least I only paid shipping once.

I sent another DVO and my Helm to SuspensionWerx in North Vancouver, BC afterwards and will continue shipping my products there if I need other services done. S4 just bought Melius suspension in Squamish (Vorsprung's service center) so I thought they would be good, but your mileage may vary. SW is now my go-to place for work, but I still order parts from S4 since they're closer to me and their website is more complete.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

I've only ordered parts from them, haven't had them service or tune anything..yet.
Filled out the online forms.
Sent them an e-mail.
They arranged a Can-Par pickup.
They had a look, sent me an estimate.
Approved estimate. Work was done
Payment made.
Shipped home via UPS.
Sent them an e-mail asking if my settings would be close with the new internals.
Was asked to call in and talk to the tech who had done the work.
Talked to the tech by phone regarding my settings and a general chat about what was done, what to expect etc.
Round trip shipping for one fork, (Uppers and Lowers only, no damper or spring) and shock was 30.00

The only thing I can comment on work wise is the bushing work done to the fork. Before I sent it in, with no damper or spring, but with seals it took a nudge and light but constant pressure to get the uppers to compress. Now a light nudge and it just kinda floats down into the lowers.

At this point, I would bang again.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sent them an e-mail.
Payment made.
Shipped home via UPS.
Sent them an e-mail asking if my settings would be close with the new internals.
Talked to the tech by phone regarding my settings and a general chat about what was done, what to expect etc.
Round trip shipping for one fork, (Uppers and Lowers only, no damper or spring) and shock was 30.00

The only thing I can comment on work wise is the bushing work done to the fork. Before I sent it in, with no damper or spring, but with seals it took a nudge and light but constant pressure to get the uppers to compress. Now a light nudge and it just kinda floats down into the lowers.

That's good to hear.

Decent price for shipping too. I just sent my old Zeb out to Rockshox for warranty in BC and that was $33 or so dollars one way.

Shipping is so weird with Canada post. I shipped a stem to Camebridge last week and it cost $19, wtf? But only 30 something to ship a meter long box with fork in it to the Pacific ocean...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just got something boingy and unboingy at the same time. :panic:

What is it going into?
I wanted a Hybid for my mine, but my fat ass was a bit outisde the optimum spring rate so ended up with just the cart. The Lyric/Yari chassis is limited in the spring that Craig could fit, so if you were above 190 odd pounds it was a little light and needed a bit too much air pressure. Ended up with a smashpot. No idea if this is still the case. If I was using a diffferent chassis, I would have been all over it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What is it going into?
I wanted a Hybid for my mine, but my fat ass was a bit outisde the optimum spring rate so ended up with just the cart. The Lyric/Yari chassis is limited in the spring that Craig could fit, so if you were above 190 odd pounds it was a little light and needed a bit too much air pressure. Ended up with a smashpot. No idea if this is still the case. If I was using a diffferent chassis, I would have been all over it.
Fox 36. Very very curious about this experiment.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Terrible pictures, sweet whip.
‘custom’, it is a 150/160, so neither an instinct or an Altitude.
Sold off most of the element bits for a little more than I paid, so not a bank-breaker for a seriously top end bike.
This is my ‘XC’ bike, so 30# on the nose.
Notables:
Helm
Kitsuma
ewings 165mm
CC BB
AB chainring
One Up 210mm post
One Up handlebars
240s/Carbon hoops
XTR chain, cassette, shifter, brakes, derailluer, pedals
wolftooth dropper lever
DD REAR, EXO+ front, dissector/Assegai
Galfer 223 front, 203 rear
Probably gonna ride this five times as much as the ebike, I’m stoked!
D66E0C42-3F57-4604-B814-A9EACF501142.jpeg

6A2C8F0A-7EBB-4EAD-92D1-A8C6100BE77B.jpeg

F6FFBD1C-F1E2-4C45-8A80-52E89D8C77CD.jpeg

1C1265B2-0D1E-40BD-BE2D-2CA3C9DBD886.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Buddy got his already for his V10
IMG_9585.jpg
IMG_9588.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A kitten died yesterday when I clicked on the facebook add to order a USWE hydration pack.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A kitten died yesterday when I clicked on the facebook add to order a USWE hydration pack.
If you buy a Kriega Hydro a puppy will be born.
I am really happy with mine and I don't think I will have to use the 10yr warranty, coz it is built like a tank.
With my previous packs, post second collarbone breakage I'd always have to shuffle them around to get them sitting right every few minutes, Kriega sits perfectly, no prancing donkey.

It possibly wouldn't fit Bullcrew, not sure it would suit uuuge gym fit people and the USWE does look pretty damn good functionally.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you buy a Kriega Hydro a puppy will be born.
I am really happy with mine and I don't think I will have to use the 10yr warranty, coz it is built like a tank.
With my previous packs, post second collarbone breakage I'd always have to shuffle them around to get them sitting right every few minutes, Kriega sits perfectly, no prancing donkey.

It possibly wouldn't fit Bullcrew, not sure it would suit uuuge gym fit people and the USWE does look pretty damn good functionally.
My camelback fits like a crop top lol...but I have hope my thinking was being they push mx gear and people wear em over roost protection maybe they have some extra size ..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made another tool so I can pull the midvalve from my Avy cartridge without draining all the oil. I think this is similar to the actual Avy tool but this cost me $2.00 to make.

Was not impressed with the cartridge at first. The 'custom' tune was little better than the garbage damper I was replacing. Initial dicking around with shims didn't do much then I reduced the float on the midvalve and holy shit, love this thing now. Super supportive yet still plush enough, at least for me.

PXL_20230213_013213670_2.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

My S4 services were not very consistent. For a shock (X-Fusion O2) it was fine and they warrantied the work easily. But for my first DVO fork, they adjusted the travel to the wrong length (I paid for it) and they asked me how I measured it before taking it back to correct their mistake. I sent them a picture with a ruler and was a bit insulted. I had to warranty two Diamonds and they were great with that though.

Then I bought one of their own seal presses for my Helm and it was too big to fit behind the fork arch. They did not do anything to take it back and I re-ordered the RockShox one from them the next day. My last order from them was parts for my DVO shock and even if I gave them the part numbers, pictures and highlighted the important details, they did not order the right stuff and just figured it out a month after when they received their order. At least I only paid shipping once.

I sent another DVO and my Helm to SuspensionWerx in North Vancouver, BC afterwards and will continue shipping my products there if I need other services done. S4 just bought Melius suspension in Squamish (Vorsprung's service center) so I thought they would be good, but your mileage may vary. SW is now my go-to place for work, but I still order parts from S4 since they're closer to me and their website is more complete.
Sent them an e-mail.
Payment made.
Shipped home via UPS.

I had a few pretty bad experiences with S4 back in the day. Messed up a bunch of stuff for me and my buddies. I would send my stuff to Vorsprung for all the service as a result. I was really bummed when I learned that Vorsprung separated their service business and sold it to S4. I'm really torn now whether to send my Tractive tuned Monarch to S4. I think the best solution is to send it to the BC location. My hope being that the techs out there are the same that worked for Vorsprung...