Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
It's a drop in headset, it's a bearing in a frame, how can one brand be better than another?
My Acros stuff has been decent, started running their headsets over ten years back, seem to last fine.
their bearing seemed quite nice, but their plastic/delrin/whatever compression bit did not fit well, and the upper cap comprised of two pieces felt as if it had some slop going on.

it's probably fine. just did not instill me with confidence.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
their bearing seemed quite nice, but their plastic/delrin/whatever compression bit did not fit well, and the upper cap comprised of two pieces felt as if it had some slop going on.

it's probably fine. just did not instill me with confidence.
That's fair that does sound a bit shit, I've only had ZS and EC oh and a BB and they were all normal.
Never had a drop in bearing frame, I'm too much of a tinfoil hat type person to try that weird new shit.
I'm going the other way and taking out my WT to put in a used Acros headset coz I like it more.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Upgraded my old frame to the new DownCountry™ standard. Got me a Flybike FM936 in the 120mm version, and stuck a Rockshox Deluxe ultimate on there. Had it painted in pms7470c because I was quite impressed with the color of the transition spur.
IMG_20230315_155729.jpg

I was worried that the progressive geometry wouldn't mesh well with the flat terrain around here, that the steep seattube would push me too far forward and put pressure on my hands, but so far no problems.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Upgraded my old frame to the new DownCountry™ standard. Got me a Flybike FM936 in the 120mm version, and stuck a Rockshox Deluxe ultimate on there. Had it painted in pms7470c because I was quite impressed with the color of the transition spur.
View attachment 191292

I was worried that the progressive geometry wouldn't mesh well with the flat terrain around here, that the steep seattube would push me too far forward and put pressure on my hands, but so far no problems.
Ooh. That's a nice color!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It's a drop in headset, it's a bearing in a frame, how can one brand be better than another?
My Acros stuff has been decent, started running their headsets over ten years back, seem to last fine.
Bearings. FSA = replace in 2 months. Cane Creek = good for about a year. King = good for life of the standard.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well went 29/29 they made the rear cutout too far back so laced one and cut hoop free then laced another..

Xl 33.4 lbs with heavier casing larger tires and procore...not worried about weight it was just cause I wanted to see .
Got ohlins setting up a coil so I'll take it to right at 140mm rear from 120mm and coil.
20230322_144011.jpg
20230322_180626.jpg
20230322_180621.jpg
20230322_180635.jpg
20230322_180608.jpg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Hands up all those that feel sorry for what that Following is about to get put through.

:wave:
I do, especially when I think about the short time a buddy took to crack his new Wreckoning last year. He is a muscle loaded dude but only 172 cm tall. :popcorn:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I had the XL Wreckoning when it first came out. I would imagine you need a 515-520 reach bike to sort of fit you.....I'm 6' BTW.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@bullcrew Are you still equipped to do custom color (grey or white if you have stock) Ohlins RXF 36 m.2 stickers or die-cut stickers ?

If you do, I promise* I won't photoshop any more dick welds on your Intense frames!

*or not

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew Are you still equipped to do custom color (grey or white if you have stock) Ohlins RXF 36 m.2 stickers or die-cut stickers ?

If you do, I promise* I won't photoshop any more dick welds on your Intense frames!

*or not
I can do die cut I'm hunting down another eco sol machine no bigger than 48"...I have both grey and white ...7 year material.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have them on a couple of bikes. Feel justified in that it makes it easier to put your wheel into the dropout again.

Makes it easier to mount your wheel and as an unintended positive side effect; due to the larger mating surface the interface just 'may' be a tiny bit stiffer.

Why did we move away from 20mm again? :bonk: