Quantcast

new XT Cranks - direct mount chainring compatibility?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If I bought a new XT 8100 crankset, does it require Shimano ring or can I use RF or other rings?
I'm running 11-sp, non boost spacing. What's the correct XT or XTR crank I want?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You will need the new Shimano (or aftermarket equivalent, I have Absolute Black). They will work best with the shimano chain and masterlink. It is a different mounting pattern.
i believe RF is making a compatible one.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
so different interface, dammit. I have RF rings. Who's got the Shimano hook-up anymore? :D

semi-related: is there a metal version of the stupid fucking breaks-by-looking-at-it preload adjuster that Race Face uses?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How damn hilarious is it that all these companies can produce a part with the same thread and diameter for that dumb preload ring...

But they can't get together over a coffee and use the same mounting pattern for the rings. FFS. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How damn hilarious is it that all these companies can produce a part with the same thread and diameter for that dumb preload ring...

But they can't get together over a coffee and use the same mounting pattern for the rings. FFS. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don’t enjoy defending the industry, but it’s not like there are a plethora of thread pitches one can use on a 30mm shaft. Additionally, how many people honestly have enough spare chainrings laying around for this to be a problem? I’ve never notmurdered my current chainring before requiring new cranks. Biggest gripe with the interfaces is whenthe one you want is out of stock, or the one on sale is only for some shit crank you don’t own.

That said, fuck the industry, they should all be GXP.