Quantcast

New XTR Brakes

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
man, that lever looks super minimal...where's the master cylinder? assuming they are hydros, from seeing the nipple on the caliper.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That rotor looks TINY... Nice looking stuff i agree with the minimalist lever, I was never sure why you need a hugeazz master cylinder on the lever to move a little bit of fluid. To bad i totally hate shimano at point in the game...

Except the cranks :evil:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Glad to see they finally have an XTR level individual lever, but the finish just doesn't look like what I'd expect from XTR IMO. The caliper looks nice, but that small rotor looks a little,.... well, cheap.

I agree on the Magura comment.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
man, that lever looks super minimal...where's the master cylinder? assuming they are hydros, from seeing the nipple on the caliper.
I seem to remember reading that they had integrated the master cylinder in such a way that the fluid reservoire sort of wraps around the handlebars - making it look like the clamps are just a little fatter.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The article says the cylinder is perpendicular to the bar, the idea being to keep it as trim as possible to minimize interference with other bar-mounted stuff. Makes sense with all the remote suspension and post levers starting to pop up.

That is not the small (140mm) rotor, this is:

I like the direction for XC and lighter riders who want to save weight. But I agree the new "X" styling looks kinda cheap - at least from the photos and playing with the new drivetrain stuff at the Otter.

Curious to see what's up with cranks, other than a more common bolt pattern.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
Curious to see what's up with cranks, other than a more common bolt pattern.
A more common bolt pattern? Don't they currently use the standard 104mm 4-bolt, the most common bolt pattern of all?

J

JRB

It's funny that they pinned the v-brakes years ago. They haven't changed in a long time, other than finish. The new cable pull levers look a lot like old XT hydro levers, which I really dig. Not sure what I think about the tiny rotors, but I do know that I don't love Magura levers, so they could have knocked something different off, imo.

Thanks for the link, OG.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
A more common bolt pattern? Don't they currently use the standard 104mm 4-bolt, the most common bolt pattern of all?
XTR had kind of the same, but the rings were specific. Not exactly sure how, but XT rings wouldn't work. I hear they are like 100 grams or more lighter. Not sure how, withough making them paper.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hope has had small rear specific rotors for quite a while, nothing new there.

I'm dissappointed that they went away from post mount calipers <crystal ball> I see many .5mm spacers scattered across XC dorks floors as they try to perfectly align the caliper. </end crystal ball>

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
binary visions said:
No, they use an XTR specific pattern so you can't use any other rings with the XTR arms. And of course, the rings were ridiculously expensive to replace.

Thank SRAM for the change.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
XTR doesnt at this point, that is the only reason alot of folks are running xt's myself included. I would love to run XTR's :love:...

So what is the official word on xtr cranks? New pattern?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
manhattanprjkt83 said:
when are the x.0 titanium/aluminum/carbon cranksets going to come out...

i mean you know its coming...
Good question, but there are already some pretty pimp truvativ cranks.

And yeah the only semi-solid things I've heard about the new xtr cranks are that they are going to a standard bolt pattern and may have a new way of connecting the two pieces to avoid side-loading the bearings...possibly something like the old sweet wings cranks that were way ahead of their time.

Nothing like some e-spec for the scoop junkies eh? :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
OGRipper said:
Good question, but there are already some pretty pimp truvativ cranks.

And yeah the only semi-solid things I've heard about the new xtr cranks are that they are going to a standard bolt pattern and may have a new way of connecting the two pieces to avoid side-loading the bearings...possibly something like the old sweet wings cranks that were way ahead of their time.

Nothing like some e-spec for the scoop junkies eh? :)
I cant wait right now, i hope they are something totally blown out because right now the only "turd" part on my bike is my cranks and those are the new XT's...Otherwise it is perfect.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I cant wait right now, i hope they are something totally blown out because right now the only "turd" part on my bike is my cranks and those are the new XT's...Otherwise it is perfect.
These are looking pretty good no?

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/mountain/cranksets/stylocarbon/

But ya know there are a lot of people that would be pretty psyched with a set of new XT's.