Quantcast

New XTR News (Yeah its bike related)

J

JRB

The thread I read elsewhere had mention of a 140mm rear spacing. If they do that, I am never buying Shimano again. I am sick and tired of sh*t changing every 3 or 4 years.

J

JRB

I don't want it to ever be a change. It's nice that there will be low normal and high normal shifting. I want to stick with rapid rise myself. I kind of hope they go back to pivoting plates on front derailleurs too.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
You really have no sense of humor. :nuts:
Never mind - I just got it. Yes - I do like to mock people. Sometimes I miss the obvious. Kind of like the extreme sports in the "greenies" thread.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That actually is all very interesting.
It is about time they started making their parts where you can buy them seperately. That is the reason SRAM started kicking their azz to begin with. Their crank system rules as well.

J

JRB

I personally still love the M952 pods. :thumb: If they make them better, but the same, right on. If they make over priced pretty carbon ones to compete with Sram, that'll be stupid.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
That actually is all very interesting.
It is about time they started making their parts where you can buy them seperately. That is the reason SRAM started kicking their azz to begin with. Their crank system rules as well.
:stupid:

They did this in the past. I wonder what made them think it wasn't a good idea back when.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dual release shifters sound interesting. I like the idea of dropping two gears at a time with the trigger.

Also good to hear that the regular sprung derailler is sticking around too.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Dammit! It's blocked. I can't wait until March Madness is over so our IT guys will unblock all the sport sites again. These sites better not be blocked during the tour. And I guess it's only a matter of time before RM gets the axe as well.

From the posts, it sounds like Shimano is finally doing something right again. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to find out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Definitely sounds encouraging to me, addresses most of my complaints with the current stuff: More shifter options, more versatility, pimp hydro lever, regular rise derailleurs - all sounds good to me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Im gonna say it now, shimano screwed up real bad when the released that latest version of xtr. X.O is the new XTR of old...Im betting they have major market share problems in the mtb world...

That said im happy running my x.0 derailure/shifter/avid juicy carbon combo...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
johnbryanpeters said:
Interesting. Given that XTR is in the stupid price range, it'll be nice when the changes make their way down to XT and LX.
Based on those pics, you could have said "...make their way down to XT and LX from XO."

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I can't wait until they ditch their exclusive chainring pattern for the XTR cranks and the stupid prices they charge for those chainrings. It would be nice to run XTR, but I don't want to be screwed and have the ability to run nothing else.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Can't wait to get my custom SRAM compatible Shimano shifters going!

Anyone know the exact leverage ratios? 1.1: for SRAM, 1.9:1 for shimano?

Thanks!

J

JRB

Shimano said:
The most impressive feature of the upcoming group is its universality. Shifting can be with Dual-Control or Rapid Fire Plus pod shifter, rotors are available in Centerloc or 6-bolt universal mounting, rear derailleurs come with rapid-rise or traditional function, the XTR crankset adopts current XT-style chainring set-up and the new XTR pedals are cross compatible with the rest of Shimano’s off-road pedal line. Offering six-bolt disc rotors means a rider can use Shimano’s discs on any bike with any wheelset they choose.
You can hear the crank makers swallow hard right now.

I just saw the R700 road cranks last night, so things are shaping up for Shimano again in the crank department.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cool stuff.
Again, it looks like Shimano is addressing the main complaints.
I had never paid attention to the center lock stuff, because I have never considered running Shimano hubs, but yesterday, I got my wheelset in from DT Swiss. The first thing I noticed was the center lock rear hub. I thought they sent me the wrong one, then I noticed the center lock adaptor. Basically, you put the adaptor on, lay the rotor on it, and lock it down with a "cassette" lockring tool. It worked great. I absolutely hate taking rotors on and off with those damn torx bolts and that damn little wrench that must come from the Joan Rivers collection of tools.
I am not sure if DT came up with this or Shimano, but it I like it.:)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Doesnt sound so bad... I'm not amped about the hub spacing thing but that doesnt sound like its going to happen right away. At least they arent making the gears even tighter so we have to change housings even more than we do currently. Personally I still miss 8 speed... 1 set of housings a year for the rear was so awesome.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Jeremy R said:
Cool stuff.
Again, it looks like Shimano is addressing the main complaints.
I had never paid attention to the center lock stuff, because I have never considered running Shimano hubs, but yesterday, I got my wheelset in from DT Swiss. The first thing I noticed was the center lock rear hub. I thought they sent me the wrong one, then I noticed the center lock adaptor. Basically, you put the adaptor on, lay the rotor on it, and lock it down with a "cassette" lockring tool. It worked great. I absolutely hate taking rotors on and off with those damn torx bolts and that damn little wrench that must come from the Joan Rivers collection of tools.
I am not sure if DT came up with this or Shimano, but it I like it.:)
Been using one of those DT adapters on my DT SS hub for almost a year. I had to tighten it once, probably after break in, and it's been solid ever since.