Quantcast

New Year SILLY SEASON

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
Snowshoe 02, 03, 04. Worst DH mud races ever. Watching the staging area was like watching a funeral procession.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Snowshoe aint got nothing on a muddy Les Gets, before the trails got groomed and before good spike tires were created. I remember we weighed Leighs bike after the race and it was 68lbs!

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
Les Gets - I can only dream of racing the world cup circuit!!! For now, I will settle for the local pro class, and what's left of the NORBA series. Good on ya' stik!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
stiksandstones said:
Snowshoe aint got nothing on a muddy Les Gets, before the trails got groomed and before good spike tires were created. I remember we weighed Leighs bike after the race and it was 68lbs!
Did Les Gets have a half mile flat mud bog in the middle? Didn't think so. :thumb:

I did see sanjay ripping snowshoe last year. He was ridding at near Minnar speed over the off camper root section about a 1/3 of the way down. No brakes, pinning it. Pretty good for a West coast guy. Stik: have you had more rain in the last 4 days than the last year? A1 was nuts.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ChrisKring said:
Did Les Gets have a half mile flat mud bog in the middle? Didn't think so. :thumb:

I did see sanjay ripping snowshoe last year. He was ridding at near Minnar speed over the off camper root section about a 1/3 of the way down. No brakes, pinning it. Pretty good for a West coast guy. Stik: have you had more rain in the last 4 days than the last year? A1 was nuts.
Ohh, I thought we were talking about DOWNHILL races...not stupid extreme hiking trail series

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
glad I wasnt the only one who had to get off and Fred Flintstone it for that section last year!!

Let us pray for a dry Snowshoe in 05.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
ahaha oh man, i dont see how you could even walk that section. I just stuck my leg out and closed my eyes and pretended i was on my scooter as a kid

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
and don't forget the wonderful entrance to the flat section "uphill right turn over log into ditch over log in middle of flat uphill blast rock" that gave you all that "antispeed" going into the part I like to refer to as the Bog of Eternal Stench

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
scottishmark said:
i know i'm out numbered here, but i doubt any of you have seen a race worse than this! http://www.descent-world.co.uk/html/race/reports/race2002/scu2002/sdard3.html
Eh, I've seen one similar, maybe not worse though. It was my first race actually. People were getting to the bottom of the course with there rear wheels locked to the frame with mud, and not even knowing it because they couldn't pedal due to the incredible amount of mud causing the gears to skip, and there was no difference in traction! haha insanity... I crashed 4 times that race (during my race run), 2 of those were on straights at low speed. Braking did next to nothing except cause one or both wheels to wash out, and all you could do was hang a foot out and pray that somehow you'd turn. There was a creek forming in the track too... great fun!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Anybody remember the NORBA at 7Springs in 96 i think...the first year we went there i think? That was bad, everyone...and i mean pretty much everyone was lossing it in the bottom rock section. That had a couple mud bogs on it too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
yeah, Seven Springs sucked b/c nobody had that kind of skill yet and a six inch travel Uzzi DH with 4.5 inch travel White Brothers DC 110 were the burliest bike out on the course. 2.3 inch Maxxis Helter Skelters and Panaracer DH(both with brick hard rubber compound) pinging off every bit of blast rock.

DH Pro finals, Tomac and Peat were the only 2 pro riders to clean that last section...and they finished 1,2.

But honestly, I'd rather ride in greasy ass motor oil mud than that mossy, chunky, maddening low-fat peanut butter flat 1/2 mile through the rocks at Snowshoe. And then the real insult was the flat dirt road sprint waiting at the end of it.....
There were hunks of what looked like sod getting hucked 3 feet high in front of my face...not even goop or mud, just big thick balls of earth and grass clumps. It felt like you were having to ride through a few thousand bloody squirrel carcasses. (Now that is a visual)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
bizutch said:
It felt like you were having to ride through a few thousand bloody squirrel carcasses. (Now that is a visual)
I am sooooo glad I decided to skip that race... :p

With the East Coast races being later in the Summer, they should be drier this year...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
bizutch said:
I think a dry Mt. Snow is scarier than a wet one!!!! 3 years ago the dry, twisty course under the lifts was just brutal at speed...
I tend to agree. Us East Coasters know how to go "fast" in the mud, we don't really flip out with it but scaryfast dry stuff...different story altogether for me personally. Just not used to it.

-ska todd

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
ska todd said:
I tend to agree. Us East Coasters know how to go "fast" in the mud, we don't really flip out with it but scaryfast dry stuff...different story altogether for me personally. Just not used to it.

-ska todd

no sh*t! i've been living out here since '96.....& still can't get used to the high speed, dusty/dry stuff....still too used to the technical wet tracks from back east

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Dylan said:
no sh*t! i've been living out here since '96.....& still can't get used to the high speed, dusty/dry stuff....still too used to the technical wet tracks from back east

Yeah I know that one, I've only been out here since augest, and it's been a learn experience and a half, even at low speed i'm having a problem staying up at slow speed on this stuff out here, I think i stacked it up a few times in front of you at the last fontana race. What funny is i went to Mammoth and rocketed down the Kamakazi, now that's some nice soil to get some speed on.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
my riding style sucks for East Coast. I'm a bull in a China shop. The last season they had Deer Valley, I flew out for it. I was in heaven. Full speed, bashing through crap, straight ahead and tucking!!! I loved it.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bizutch said:
my riding style sucks for East Coast. I'm a bull in a China shop. The last season they had Deer Valley, I flew out for it. I was in heaven. Full speed, bashing through crap, straight ahead and tucking!!! I loved it.

Nothing wrong with that at all.