Quantcast

New Years Day Ride

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Some of us partied, some of us didn't but we all showed up and had a New Years Day ride well worth remembering. We met at Doode's house and rode to the trails.

The ride starts with a better than a 1/4 mile climb and goes from there. This course is a deviation of our usual Wednesday night ride loop. We started out with quite a few mechanical issues but finally got the ball rolling. We had one massive flat repair, a side wall puncture involving cauliflower (spent) Stan's and a rim strip. This was repaired and we were once again on our way.

At the gate photo you can see a hat on the fence post to the far most left rider. Written on the brim (rather nicely) it says Hell's Waiting Room, Arizona. Hmm. This may have been mentioned before but since this artifact has survived for about 3 months it bears mentioning again.

On the return loop we came by some mine tailings we pass all the time and explored the area only to find a mine entrance with a Suburban planted in it. We initially thought it was a Blazer but a different angle showed it to be a full size Suburban. It appeared to have been there for a while so we didn't check for occupants.

Upon arriving back at Doode's house we had some excellent beers, homemade cupcakes and a soak in the hot tub. We then packed up and headed to Valley Luna for an excellent Mex lunch.

Ride start = 9:00 am
Arrive home = 3:30 pm
New Years Day= Priceless!

If the rest of the year is as good as today it will be one for the books!

The ride starts with a big grind uphill

Off and running

The massive flat repair

At the gate ( hat to left)

A brief pause

Suburban in a mine shaft

Another view

Another mine- it took about 8 seconds for a rock dropped to quit making noise.

Back at Doode's house

Cupcakes and beer

Hot tub!

Doode

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm glad I dragged myself outta bed after getting only 1 1/2 hours of sleep. What a way to start the new year off! Thanks to everyone that showed up :clapping:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Quo - I've been off the bike pretty much since the Churn and Burn so no problemo - we can be slow together! It's about getting out and riding not how fast we get through it all. Right?