Quantcast

New Years Jumpin' in SC

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
No new snow in the mountains for New Years, but the sunny weather did mean some great riding conditions here in SC (not anymore though!). Went out for a couple rides with markk, and checked out a new jump - super smooth! Nice work, props to the builder. Here's some helmetcam footage, and a few pics:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Looks great.

The more you post pictures of features like that, the greater the chances of the wrong people seeing it and getting it torn down. I suspect the builder would not be too stoked to see their work here.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I didn't watch the helmet cam footage, but having ridden there before, I don't seen anything in these pics that would give away where it's at.

Yeah Jim! Nice vid as always. It was good to run into you guys. Looks like the trail has been seeing some love lately. Too bad I was all XC'd out and with the family. I would've loved to hit the new step up. Looks like the bigger double on the flat section is a little more friendly now too.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a ride in before next Friday. I'm sooo jonesing!

Oh, to the guy complaining about posting, I hear what you're saying, but if you know where it is you know. If you don't, well, you pretty much need someone to point it out for ya.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Looks great.

The more you post pictures of features like that, the greater the chances of the wrong people seeing it and getting it torn down. I suspect the builder would not be too stoked to see their work here.
Believe it or not I did actually think about this before posting. :) There have been tons of pics/video posted from this particular area on this forum, but like the others said there is nothing there that indicates where it is to anyone who doesn't already know. Fact is, lots of people ride this trail, and the real problem as far as I'm concerned has been people making the entrance more obvious. We did have an incident this summer where some of the jumps were taken out, but from insider info it sounded like this didn't even have to do with mountain bikers (apparently some dirt bikers started hitting it up). Anyone who builds there has got to know that it gets ridden a lot, and there is always a risk of it going away.

Having said that though, I defer to your extremely high post count, and was going to edit the post... but now I can't seem to do that?! Is the post only editable for a certain period of time? I'm definitely logged in.

Anyway, if a moderator wants to delete that post or this thread, feel free.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I appreciate the comment and the fact that you gave it some thought. I also think your footage and pics are pretty cool. I just think it would be better to put this in the ride report forum and not indicate where it is. Like the guru said, those who know already know. Posts like this just encourage more people to seek it out, and you can guess where that leads.

And I have no idea why you can't edit your post. You can probably send a PM to a moderator or whatever.

(PS, I'm not a local but I ride down there about once every couple of months and would hate to see the goodness disappear.)

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I hardly ever look at the other forums, I usually just post a few things here in the local forum. I guess it could make sense to post in the ride report section, I just dislike keeping track of multiple forums, and that was a local ride. In any case, point taken.

I think there must be a time limit on editing posts. I can edit the last one I made in this thread, but not the first one. There also doesn't appear to be a moderator for this forum, or any sort of link to send a message to send a message to a general admin. Unless I'm missing something.

Anyway drop me a line next time you're in town. I remember meeting you at N* this summer. Would be cool to meet up here sometime.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i need to find some of these spots, christ. i go down for a week every spring break and ride 2 times a day at least, i've seen lots of pictures of stuff but every time i get to ucsc i get hopelessly lost whenever i try to find anything other than dead campers, that trail that doesn't exist.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
can someone post the directions to the trails
i'm new to mountain bicycling and ther internets, well after my last lawsuit when i found some trails on the internet and told them to my grom buddies then we went there and got hurt because i forgot to tighten my front quick release and sued the city, but those trails arent there anymore so i need to tell my mom where to drop us off, this time be better, because i brought my camera and video camera and friends and gonna show the whole world

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
can someone post the directions to the trails
i'm new to mountain bicycling and ther internets, well after my last lawsuit when i found some trails on the internet and told them to my grom buddies then we went there and got hurt because i forgot to tighten my front quick release and sued the city, but those trails arent there anymore so i need to tell my mom where to drop us off, this time be better, because i brought my camera and video camera and friends and gonna show the whole world

Post of the year (so far).

+rep