Quantcast

New Yeti ASX

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
The frame is still the same. The difference is in the rear shock. Yeti designed the bike to be as versatile as possible, single or double ring.....single or dual crown fork. They did a great job making a bike that could be set up for anything. The frame comes with a 8.5 x 2.5 Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, this set up gives you the option of 7.1 or 6.4" of travel. With a dual crown on the front it is ready for DH and with a single crown the angles are good for climbing and genaral riding. As I already have dedicated XC and DH bikes I decided to put a single crown on for FR and stuff. The problem was the head angle was a bit steep for comfortably going big. I started doing the math on a shorter eye to eye rear shock and it seemed like it would work, as no one had done this, at Yeti or otherwise, I just bought a Fox Van to see if it could work. 1/2" shorter eye to eye as well as stroke puts the end of the travel in the same spot it would be, reducing the head angle, travel, and bb height all at once. The bike now gets just under 6" travel in the 7.1" setting, weight is 34 lbs. w/2.35 minions and xc tubes(I have a set of 729's if climbing isnt nessecary) the bb height is 12.75 and the head angle is 66 degrees. The bb may be a bit low to some but it is still higher at the end of the stroke than an Ironhorse Sunday. I cant tell you how much I love this bike now, I can climb it up with ease and hit the biggest stuff on the way down. Im not saying it will replace your dh rig but it is the best mid travel option I have found that has in uninterupted seat tube. I am 6'6" and could never get my seat high enough to climb on other bikes while being able to get it low enough for decending . Feel free to send questions, I am talking to yeti about offering this as an option from the factory.

Attachments

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Oh good god, yes.

While you're talking to yeti, tell them to make a 12mm through-axle rear triangle.

Long live the ASX! I've had mine for 2 years, it's going to go another 2, and then I'm buying another one.

I need to get me a DHX in 8x2 (right?) and try it out. The 5th isn't plush enough for DH, but it works great for trail riding. It's like it was meant to be. SX-trails are for suckers. Stokage.

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
8x2 is correct. Its actually 7.8 something but yes, thats the one. Also I forgot to mention , I havent tried an air shock, the leverage ratio seems a bit high on an ASX but it might work for smaller guys.
Youre going to love it...dig this thread out if you get one on there, I would like to check it out,
Zeb

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
Yes , Shorter I2I with the same stroke will hit the seat tube. Reduce the stoke by 1/2" as well. With a 2.5 tire and a little mud it will barely touch but I had a little rub mark on the back of my seat tube before I switched the shock. 8x2=titties. I will post some various bb heights in a minute here..............

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
OK, Mine is 12.75"bb(323.85mm) height with a 20.5"(520.7) axle to crown fork. For every 1"(25.4mm) of height you add to your axle to crown, you will add about 10.16mm to your bb height.
Example: A Boxxer at 22.5" A2C(axle to crown) would give you a 13.55" bb. Though I dont suggest a dual crown for this setup, ride em' if you got em'.
ASXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Woooohoooooo!!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Yes , Shorter I2I with the same stroke will hit the seat tube. Reduce the stoke by 1/2" as well. With a 2.5 tire and a little mud it will barely touch but I had a little rub mark on the back of my seat tube before I switched the shock. 8x2=titties. I will post some various bb heights in a minute here..............
Where did you find a 8.0 x 2.0 shock?

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
Where did you find a 8.0 x 2.0 shock?
Fox Racing Shocks.... part# 966-01-015 for a DHX 5 coil $400 part# 962-01-004 for the Van $250
We sell both but we are in seattle, your local fox dealer can hook you up. I should note that you wont get a warranty with the shock from Fox. In their database, it is not intended for this bike.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I love my Yeti, I recently tried the lower setting at Whistler and the way it pops off tabletops now is awesome. At the 7" setting it aws a little work to get the ass end up, on the lower setting it's too easy.

When she was a virgin

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Looks killer Milton. Curious to hear how it holds up in the long run.

And since this is turning into a AS-X pic thread, here's mine :) I did a bunch of work to it last season, so I think she's all set for '07.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
I've got me one of them! I have a 5th on it now but have been told that you could run a swinger 4 way. I guess you can ramp up the end stroke so it acts like a coil. So I hear anyways...may or maynot be true but just wanted to throw that out there. Love the asx minus the dropouts.

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
I cracked mine all the way across the toptube just behind the toptube/headtube weld. It was 2 and 1/2 years old, and I'm not heavy (60kg) so watch out for that. Just riding in whistler and noticed it at the bottom of a run...

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Here's mine. Been riding it for a year now and love it. Wish it was in the low 30s but I know I'm somewhere under 40lbs. I ride hard trail and some light FR right now. I do a lot of pedaling (it's the mid-atlantic!) and love the Z1 Light on it. Oh yeah and on my first ride on it I put a big dent down the swingarm. awesome!

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
Those are some nice rigs guys. I can see cracking behind the head tube after a few years with a dual crown. I run my talas with a bit more air than I would for normal trail riding, a 36 Van, 66, or Lyrik would probably be a better pick for going big. My ASX is definitely testing the limits of weight vs. durability but it has been great so far. I do have a set of 729's w/ Minions for whistler and such, I wouldnt suggest the 1750's for heavy use, the hubs are great but the rims are minimal. Also....for the guy wanting to put an air shock on the back, if your over a buck 50 it probably wont work to well. Air shocks dont seem to do so well once you get above a certain leverage ratio. In my experience, if you run 400lb. or higher spring on your coil shock, you will blow through a DHX air with minimal effort. See ya,
Zeb

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have an AS-X too and I like it a lot! I went from an Ironhorse SGS DH Pro that was a pig (about 50lbs) and a little too big (17" for a small...not for this 5'4" chick) to a small ASX for FR/DH and I love how nimble it is :thumb: Mine's an '04 with the 5th element.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Atomic - forget about the 24". I ran one on mine for about a year, setup as a purely DH rig. It worked well, but I switched to 26" last year and like it sooo much more. If you really wanted to slack it out for a pure DH ride the 24" can work well though - Krispy ran his like that for a long time.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
My finished ASX.
2005 Marzocchi 66RC....!! I love this fork.Makes my geometry perfect..:clapping:
I sold a sweet Boxxer WC 7" to get a 66RC..That extra 1" axle to crown height makes all the difference in the world.
I still hate how they lowered the newer 66's.:twitch:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
This thread seems to be a thread about Yeti love, so here is the older brother of my 07 DJ, an 06 ASX. I've been riding it as shown, except with clips, for all of the trail riding I did before my Iron Horse cracked. Now, this baby is starting up a diet plan. I'm getting her a new set of legs from the DNZ. They're Syncros FLT23 rims on a random 20mm front and a Hope Pro 2 rear, all that's left to do is order them. Then, I have to get some light tires and throw in some Stan's, and shizam, a magically much lighter bike. I'd also love to get rid of the pig of a stem, but I don't want to spend the cash for a Thomson. Anyways, I give to you, the ASX.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90171&d=1169076100