Quantcast

New Yeti Sighting ride report with pics

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Well Manhattanprjkt, Pallila, and I went out Saturday for an afternoon ride with a group of friends to one of the newest and best riding spots in Western PA. as land is aquired, by the Roaring Run Watershed organization it is being built as recreational trails including some kickA$$ Mtb trails, and beautiful Rails to trails. some of the most goergous waterfalls in the area are here at Apollo.

our ride started off at a quick pace and built up from there. Since the trails were mostly new to us, trying to judge how long we would be out, and how much energy to expend during the ride was tough in the early going, and the leaders were setting a Fast pace. We had ridden about 2hrs 45min before I started to crack. I tried to get some energy by pounding a GU powergel, but I think it was too late. we rode for another half hour before I was completely spent. I actually had to sit trailside and eat another GU and 2 clif bars just to make it back to the car. I went through 100 oz of water (with a little gatorade mixed in) and still lost 5.2 lbs over the course of the ride. I did manage to get a few photos though so here goes.

Here are 2 shots of Tawni working through a set of tight Switchbacks.

Another rider on Switchbacks

Don rippin up the Switchbacks.

This is Pallilo hitting the gravity rock.

Mark hitting the gravity rock and gettin almost to the top. Mark and Don have been the ones planning and organizing the building days at Apollo. They have put in countless hours and done lots of backbreaking work here. It is good to be out riding with them, They enjoy riding here as much as getting other people out to ride it with them!

Don on the Gravity Rock

Gravity rock with full armor on a 70+ degree XC ride! this guy was tough!

Steve sitting trailside helping get me through the bonk. That is his new Fisher Cake1 deluxe it is a pretty bike.

here are 2 photos of Steve checkin out my new Yeti while I ate and snapped a few pics. He was actually gonna get a 575 before he found a smokin deal on the Cake.

As I rode back to the car on the Rails to trails, I realized the the crank arm was loose, and the ghost shifting I had was from that rather than cable stretch etc. After showering, we headed to my parents where I ended up eating 2 plate fulls of turkey meatloaf, lentil loaf, peas, mashed patatoes, stuffing and gravy, and then a bowl of fruit salad for desert. If I could have fit more in, I would have! I woke up this morning still hungry. I have to figure out a good plan for pre-ride eating. Like maybe even starting a day or two in advance!

I cant complain though this was an awesome day to be riding, with some awesome people. If you are in Western PA and want to ride some of the best trail and see some of the best scenery give me a shout, and well ride Apollo, at the Roaring Run Watershed!

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Nice pictures man. I forgot you had your camera with you. :thumb:

I'll be back in town in a few weeks...we'll have to hit up some more local spots.

-Matt

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Palilla said:
Nice pictures man. I forgot you had your camera with you. :thumb:

I'll be back in town in a few weeks...we'll have to hit up some more local spots.

-Matt
Sorry Matt, I mis-spelled your name, but wont do it again. Did you talk to Bill? He is looking for his wallet. I tore my car apart, but couldn't find it. I couln't remember if he had it when you were giving him the cash for the fork?

Anyway it was great to ride with you. After I ate that night and on Easter Sunday, I felt like a million bucks... I would have settled for feeling like 5 bucks about half way through the ride.

Morryjg said:
Looks like fun riding! Thanks for the RR and pics.
Thanks it is a great place to ride. At least I made myself usefull and snapped a few pics!

splat said:
so what is on the other side of that rock ?
well, the rock sticks out of the ground like a flying saucer its big and flat, the other side just kinda hangs over the hill. it would be a good spot to sit if a storm came cause the other side makes a little sheltered area.
Splat, from your posts I guess you are accostomed to big rocks like that! The guys that planned and built most of the trails have been trying to get as much of the scenery and terain into the trails. There are a ton of bridges (wood and stone) and the area has been built to try to be as sustainable as a trail like this can be. There are very few spots on the trail that have washouts etc. It is a well planned trail set. Some of the new sections have bigger rock rollers and drops. this is the place the Yeti will shine:thumb:

Heidi said:
nice! 575's rock:)
thanks, I agree, but after seeing your pics of Moab, I would love to have the team color... Oh well maybe I will get another in the team color or maybe the ASR-SL in the team:drool: :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice pics! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Yeti too :thumb: . As much as I think I would enjoy one, I will be purchasing a road bike (better for training purposes) and racing my Jekyll this year. I have a new Yeti for DHing so I will just have to abuse that one ;)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
brungeman said:
thanks, I agree, but after seeing your pics of Moab, I would love to have the team color... Oh well maybe I will get another in the team color or maybe the ASR-SL in the team:drool: :D
My excuse for not getting my 575 in team colors is that they didn't offer it for the 575 until a couple months after I bought mine. :mumble:

I love my black ano, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the team color.