Quantcast

New Zealand Bound

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Finally! Getting out of the military and taking a few months off to wander New Zealand...very excited. I'm leaving on the 22nd of Feb., and staying a max of 3 months, but perhaps less; likely I'll be back by mid to late April. Got plenty of riding and stuff set up with the guys from Vorb.org.nz , and I'll be buying a camper van when I get there and cruising around the islands in it. They have a few sell/buy-back car businesses for tourists. This way, I can make dragging the bike around easier and never want for accomodations.

I'll post some trips and ride reports, etc, as I make my way around the country. I'll be hitting the north island first, terminating with at least 2 weeks or so staying/riding in Wellington, and then on to the south island for a trip through the Fiordlands etc., then visiting Queenstown and finally Christchurch before heading back north to fly home.

This is gonna be so much fun...! If I happen to find a job, I may apply for a residence permit and never come back... :)

MD

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, I know you will have fun. I thouroughly enjoyed the country and the people when I was there. We rented an rv and drove around too - very easy to get around in that country and the drives are friggin beautiful!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Sounds awesome! I spent two weeks there in December and it was one of the best times of my life. Friendly people(several Vorbers) and absolutely beautiful country. I didn't get any riding in, but looking at the trails you should have some fun.

I plan on going back and finding work in a few years. Something in the tourist industry, try to get a work permit so I can live there for a while.

Have a great trip man! And karma points for picking up hitchhikers....it's the Kiwi way.

The Ito

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely check out coromandel. totally beautiful.

milford sound is another place to see. and i highly recommend a glacier trek on either Fox or Franz Josef.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, am I the only one who hasn't been there yet? :) Thanks for all the tips! Deyv is on Vorb, too, I think, so I'll get with him via that site...

MD

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like a good time, enjoy. I've been trying to plan a backpacking trip in NZ for a few years now. Looks like it will never happen. I just can't get more than a week off at a time. I need to find a new job just so I can take a few months off imbetween employement.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
westy, if you really want to do it, just do it. quit yr job, travel, and figure out what happens next when you come back. a ton of irish people operate on that same premise. seriously, that's a huge difference between the US and europe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
westy, if you really want to do it, just do it. quit yr job, travel, and figure out what happens next when you come back. a ton of irish people operate on that same premise. seriously, that's a huge difference between the US and europe.
:stupid: If you do something like that, you'll never regret it.

You don't hear people saying things like this when they get old:

"You know, that 3 month holiday I took in New Zealand after quitting my job sure was a big mistake........" :D

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
There is something wired in my brain from growing up broke, to never give up a steady income unless you have another job lined up. I'd spend my whole time worrying about finding work and wouldn't enjoy myself. Even if I could I'd end up doing something "practical" like going back to school.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
There is something wired in my brain from growing up broke, to never give up a steady income unless you have another job lined up. I'd spend my whole time worrying about finding work and wouldn't enjoy myself. Even if I could I'd end up doing something "practical" like going back to school.
Weird. I grew up broke and it taught me (when I was single) to ditch work whenever a little cash reserve built up and travel/play/ride/ski. :p

You might consider seeing a therapist and try to shake this addiction to work.

-S.S.-

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought socking away a large amount of liquid cash would make it easier to take the trip. It has, but I'm also waiting on the security clearance for a job with the State Dept., so I have a valid reason not to commit to further career-level employment at this point. Plus, if I find a job in NZ, I might just stay! :) Immigration process is a pain, but I've looked deeply into it. However, it's not really possible unless you've got a job, so you can't just up and move there without visiting first...

Cutting into what I now see as a nest-egg does hurt a little, but it'll all work out in the end. Plus, if I get that State Dept. job, I won't be buying a house anytime soon...I'll continue to bum around the world (working dilligently, of course) on the gov't ticket!

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stoney98 said:
chomps is in NZ. If you want his email, let me know.
Yeah, please send it to me. What city is he in?

Westy, I'm bringing my Turner RFX...best all-rounder I own.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Have a great time Mike. Still think you're going to the wrong country but hey, you can lead a horse to water......
And Westy, just f*ckin do it mate. What's the old saying...."it's better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't do"..

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
My sister is in Christchurch right now, shes spending a semester over there. She says I would love it. Im trying to get a ticket to flay down there for her spring break... OMG is it ever expensive!!!!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
Have a great time Mike. Still think you're going to the wrong country but hey, you can lead a horse to water......
And Westy, just f*ckin do it mate. What's the old saying...."it's better to regret the things you did than the things you didn't do"..
Hey, mang...don't be jealous 'cuz Oz doesn't have big mountains or hobbits...but I'm seriously considering a side trip to see Grizza in Melbin and do some travelling through those parts as well. We'll see how the wallet and the calendar hold up.

MD

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
MikeD said:
Hey, mang...don't be jealous 'cuz Oz doesn't have big mountains or hobbits...but I'm seriously considering a side trip to see Grizza in Melbin and do some travelling through those parts as well. We'll see how the wallet and the calendar hold up.

MD
Well mate, you can't go wrong in Melbourne, good town for sure. Make sure you go to the 'G and watch the footy. :D