Quantcast

new zealand in may

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
the wife and i are getting a hookup and going to new zealand next may. auckland/rotorua area to be exact. i know there is a ton of DH there. will the lift/shuttles be open that time of year (their fall)? when does it get really rainy and nasty there?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
the wife and i are getting a hookup and going to new zealand next may. auckland/rotorua area to be exact. i know there is a ton of DH there. will the lift/shuttles be open that time of year (their fall)? when does it get really rainy and nasty there?
The only lift assisted riding in NZ is down in Queenstown, they've just opened for the season, not sure when it closes though.

Not too much DH in Auckland as far as I'm aware of. surely will be corrected if I'm wrong.
Rotorua runs shuttle bus(s) http://www.southstaradventures.com/ during the weekends at least, you might get lucky and be here during school holidays when the buses run during the week also.

Weather shouldn't be too bad during May, might encounter a little rain but Rtorua drains really well so take a lot for it to be nasty. If you can swing it to bring trail bikes also you won't be disappointed at Rotorua, IMO the trail riding is better than the DH.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
cool, i have always wanted to ride the WC course ever since i saw it, figured there was lots of riding to be found. thanks for the info! i don't mind the rain, i welcome it!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
You wont be able to ride the 2006 Worlds course. It was opened once for that event.

Bring trail bikes!!!

Rotorua has only one DH course accessed by shuttles in the weekend but literally hundreds of KM of trails, the best of which are also shuttle serviced.

Auckland has some good trail riding but is pretty tame for DH.

If you want to DH, go to Queenstown as was mentioned by Banga.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You wont be able to ride the 2006 Worlds course. It was opened once for that event.

Bring trail bikes!!!

Rotorua has only one DH course accessed by shuttles in the weekend but literally hundreds of KM of trails, the best of which are also shuttle serviced.

Auckland has some good trail riding but is pretty tame for DH.

If you want to DH, go to Queenstown as was mentioned by Banga.
I though Blenkis section in 3MG was on that track.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
This year the Queenstown gondola was running bikes until ~second week of June. Weather was fine for riding.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
just read over the trip plan more carefully. 3 nights auckland, 2 nights rotorua, 4 nights queenstown...stoked. should even be enough time to ZORB!

i'm thinking it makes more sense to rent trail bikes?
whats the cheapest way you reckon to get my DH bike down there?
if i'm gonna go through the hassle of taking a bike down there, its gotta be the one that i can't rent down there.