Quantcast

New Zealand Mountain Biking... suggestions anyone?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Alright, since there's no "NZ" forum on here, but I know that at least a couple Monkies are either from NZ or have travelled there, I'm posting this up to see what ya'll say. I'll probably X-post in the DH forum just in case, we'll see what response I get here.

The dealio: Me and my ladyfriend are heading to New Zealand at the end of Sept/early Oct for 16 days of AWESOME. We're starting to get together our itinerary of things we'd like to see, check out, and do... and wouldn't ya know it getting a couple of days riding is on the list! We'll probably also do a 2-3 day tramp, and get some spring skiing in for at least a day or three as well... she has a friend in Wanaka that works at one of the resorts so we're all set there.

So, what do I want from you b@stardos? Well, anyone that has been or actually lives there or is from there... we'd like some recommendations on where to ride/not ride, places to rent nice bikes, good companies to deal with, that sort of thing. We're pretty sure we'll be there in early spring conditions so where we are able to ride will surely be based on weather so if anyone has insight on that, it would be helpful as well.

A little about us: we're both fairly fit (30+ mile rides at altitude are within our comfort level) and pretty decent on the bike tech wise. I race DH (not pro by any means but I can get down a hill) and she has just started riding DH this year and is picking it up quickly. We're open to all suggestions: epic XC, DH, crazy epic have-to-do roadie rides, whatever.

Prelim research has turned up Rotorua's Whakawerawa Forest as a possibility, but we're planning on hitting both the North and South Islands (we'll have a car on loaner from a ski-buddy of hers that lives in Wellington) so anywhere that's good - we're in to it.

And lastly... if any NZ monkies wanna ride, lemme know!

Okay... 1-2-3-go!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I did a heli-biking trip outside of Queenstown earlier this year and it was AWESOME! The riding wasn't very technical but the experience was great. This was my 2nd trip to NZ - the first time I lived in Wanaka for a ski season and then moved to Wellington for a few months. I can't remember the company's name but it was run by a guy named Greg and it was the longest trip available. Well worth the money.

For tramping, definitely don't miss out on Fiordland. Seriously...go check it out. Each time I've been, I have wanted to hike the Dusky track but never seem to have enough time. You can do it one way and make the trip 4-5 days instead of 8-9.

What resort are you going to? I worked at Treble Cone and I've never seen better terrain anywhere.

Fun Pic of me Heli-biking...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MikeD has been there if i recall, syadasti has been there....DaveW lives down there.....there is another guy from the PAWN forum who lives down there...don't remember his name though...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I was there about 4 years ago now. I think my giant post and ride report has been archived into the abyss unfortunately. We rode on the north part of the south island and met varied trail conditions. I could try to dig up my itinerary.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I was there about 4 years ago now. I think my giant post and ride report has been archived into the abyss unfortunately. We rode on the north part of the south island and met varied trail conditions. I could try to dig up my itinerary.

All my memories of that trip have been sucked into the abyss that is Black Friday.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Gorge Road Jumps...? I think that's the name. I am planning to relocate to NZ in January. I've been semi-actively seeking info on Kiwi riding spots.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The first time I went to NZ in 2002 I was there for 45 days and rode dozens of places all over both islands, but if you don't have that time...

Rotovegas is decent. Wellington in the North and Christchurch in the South Island are probably the best biking cities. As mentioned, Queenstown is decent.

Don't waste your time on RM, go to NZ's biggest sports website (its all about biking) - vorb.org.nz

The Kennett Bros' book is a great reference, I haven't looked at one since 2002 - probably has a ton more stuff - http://www.kennett.co.nz/index.php/Books/ClassicNewZealandMountainBikeRides

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Stuff... vorb.org.nz... more stuff... sweet book...
Awesome thanks! I'd found vorb.org.nz and was planning on wading through the TONS of info over there, sweet to hear it's The Goods.

maybe go surfing? dunno what it is like that time of year there.
also I hear that if you get pulled over and the cops ask you how many beers you had, if you say its under 5 youre good to go. :rofl:
Probably not gonna surf, but we'll see. I think 16 days might be WAY too short! Good info 'bout getting pulled over, but I probably won't be testing that theory.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yep, check Vorb and Kennett's. I have some ride reports on Vorb.

Riding in NZ tends to be divided into old-school (long, dirt-roadish XC slogs, but very adventurous) and new- school, including a lot of purpose-built bike park areas.

To give a really, really short version: I'd fly into Wellington. Tons of good riding in and around the city. Tons tons tons. Makara Peak is a bike park inside the city. Mt. Vic is the same. (plus it's where the hobbits hid from the nazgul.) Lots of trailbikey stuff, but there's Long Gulley and the freeride track for downhill. Oh, and Car Parts! Definitely shuttle Car Parts. Just hook up with the Welly crowd and get thrashed. 16 days in Welly and you'd still be having a blast. IMHO. Fun city, too. Weather's ****, but that's half the fun.

You also do have to ride in Rotorua. I was skeptical about the hype. It's FUN. With 16 days, though, if you're focused on riding, I'd do Welly and Rotorua in the north and then that's it.

Hit the south island and definitely make it to Wanaka. Great bikeparky stuff. Skipper's Canyon in Queenstown was fantastic and there were a few good DH tracks but the place annoyed the crap out of me.

Had fun in Christchurch, another city with good riding inside the limits; Dunedin is a great city with a couple of fun tracks but not worth sacrificing time in on a short trip. Same for Naseby IMHO. Alexandra is a LOT of fun. Freeride-y. There are some other rides on the northern end of the south island that I loved but I will need to look up the names for you--one was a ski field and the other an epic switchbacky trailride.

If you will do anything besides bike, see the Fiordlands as recommended; I did a Doubtful Sound kayak tour and it was great.

More later.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By the way, just get in touch with DaveW here and he can probably clue you in. A local made all my riding better--when I was off finding my own way I know I missed the best of what I was trying to find.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
On the way back from Rotovegas to Wellington, its worth a stop in Taupo for riding at Craters of the Moon and/or checking out Huku Falls.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
On the way back from Rotovegas to Wellington, its worth a stop in Taupo for riding at Craters of the Moon and/or checking out Huku Falls.
Ha ha - Craters of the Moon was my first ever mountain bike ride. I completely forgot about that. I rented a shoddy hard tail from a hostel. :eek:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ha ha - Craters of the Moon was my first ever mountain bike ride. I completely forgot about that. I rented a shoddy hard tail from a hostel. :eek:
Craters of the Moon was my last MTB ride on my first trip to NZ. It was a 6 mile ride from my hostel. About a mile or two on the trails there my freehub exploded and I had to push my bike back to town:rant:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Carp! The girlfriend'll kill me if I turn this into a complete biking trip, but there just sounds like so many good options! Any beta on where to rent GOOD bikes? Since riding isn't the total focus of the trip we're not bothering with bringing our own...

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Carp! The girlfriend'll kill me if I turn this into a complete biking trip, but there just sounds like so many good options! Any beta on where to rent GOOD bikes? Since riding isn't the total focus of the trip we're not bothering with bringing our own...
Several ski shops in Queenstown rent them. One of them had a ridiculously nice DH fleet.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
This thread is gold. I am even more excited to make the move now. Thanks for sharing all of the valuable info.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cragieburn! that's the name of the ski field with the cool trail. Oh, and Wakamarina near Nelson is great, too.

And for lodging, the public camps are great--drop a few bucks in the box and camp in some great places. I had some awesome nights in some beautiful places.

Again, get with Vorb.

For a 3-day tramp, see if you can get on the "Great Walks" route, Kepler Track out of Te Anau It's billed as a 4-day but you can do it in 3--great huts on the way and cool Fiordlands scenery. You can easily walk from Iris Burn Hut (2nd night) to the end of the trail (or a cutoff where busses run) in a day...no need to do the other intermediate hut.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Weird. I haven't used Photobucket in ages. Lemme check.

OK, somehow it became "private." Fixed--no password now. Albums are links on the left-hand side, listed mostly by place.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So I got back from this trip to NZ about a week or so ago, and we did a TON of stuff so I figured I'd throw ya'll an update. We clocked about 4000km seeing as much of the country as we could... only got one day of mountain biking in Rotovegas, but we also slid on some snow (powder day!), hiked a glacier, and sea kayaked in a fiord. Totally friggin' ROCKED the house down... can't wait to go back someday!

We rode near Rotorua, which was where the World Champs were held a couple years back. We didn't ride the Worlds stuff (it's been taken down) but we did take a lap on the National DH track, and did a bunch of other pedaling both up and down. NZ is super-progressive with their bike parks (as has been mentioned here), and they have hundreds of kilometers of trails, and many are marked directionally (both up and down!) to avoid conflicts. Here's a couple of shots from the Whakarewarewa Forest, where we rode.

Mmmm... redwoods...

Should we ride this trail? Well... apparently it'd Be Rude Not To! Also note... Bikes ONLY, no hikers or horses allowed! Boosh!

Steph drops in to Be Rude Not To... total flow and fun.

Donated for Downhillers!

The National Downhill... steep and rutty.

Steph on a bit mellower section of the National DH.

Aprés beers at the Underground in Rotorua... damn tasty.

Thanks to everyone for all the insider tips, I wish we could have spent more time biking but the trip didn't suffer from lack of mountain bike action. Here's a linker to the rest of the pictures, if ya'll care to look through the non-bikey stuff as well!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sasmith2/NewZealand09
http://picasaweb.google.com/sasmith2/NewZealand09Album2

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Looks like you had sweet time. Rotovegas sure does have some great riding. Im off there this Friday for weekend of riding.

Any monkies heading down this way either holidaying or permanently, PM me. Happy to show you all around.

Stu