Quantcast

New Zealand Natioanl Rd.1

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
http://www.mtbnz.org/wp-content/uploads/Chch-Round-1-XC-Results.pdf

There are the results of the first round of the NZ XC MTB cup, held the day after the DH.

Check em out, Cam Cole's partner Amy Laird (ex DH racer) won the Elite Women's XC in her first attempt, with another current NZ DHer in 3rd.

Justin Leov smashed the Senior men's race winning by nearly a minute, with Cam Cole in 4th and Sabrina Jonnier won Senior women's XC by 4 mins.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
i just looked through that one photogs pics and that was some nice shots. BUT, at the same time, it really evident that there are some RIPPERS over there. Photogs can do some good work to make an am look pro, but you can tell from body positioning that the majority of those riders are hauling!

Oh, and while I am doing my best to move from full on moto kit to trail/race type stuff, it's apparent that NZ has some unspoken rule about kitting up to the max! Think I saw maybe 2 t-shirts and 1 hoody tops. :rofl:
To be honest with you, the original track ( before we changed to the mild option ) was pretty intense to say the least :eek: . A lot of junior and less skilled riders were put off and did not enter, they would have been in more "casual" gear ( t-shirts etc ) ;).

I just checked the 2010 events handbook:
ChCh - 500m - 0m in 2km
Dunedin - 300m - 0m in 1.75km
Nelson - 300m - 0m in 2km
Rotorua - 330m - 0m in 2.125km
Tauranga - ???
Wellington - 200m - 0m in 1.5km

Add to the ChCh decent an extremely techy course top section with big step downs, rocks, roots, off camber very little benched trail, fast shoots with few places to scrub speed and you can understand why people stayed away. Many would have been in way over their heads.
Many could ride it BUT..... not at race pace.