Quantcast

New Zealand

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I am thinking of taking a trip to NZ, either a year where I work and ride. Or a shorter trip, where I just ride.

Probably looking at the year to be honest.

I know very little about the place so I'm looking for any info/recommendations etc.

I'll have my downhill bike, and maybe even my xc hardtail as well. But I'd like to use as much chairlift's/shuttles as possible.

I am wondering what is the riding like there overall, and what cities have good trails/bike parks on their doorstep.

For those that know BC, I've been to Whistler, and something like Vancouver, with ace riding on your doorstep and Whistler up the road would be sweet.

I like biking, but I like a bit of nightlife as well, that said I'm 30 so I won't be partying every night.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Haha great post!

NZ has one area that is still developing a bike park called queenstown. That is the only lift access here. Every where else has shuttlable dh track . Rotorua has a shuttle service with a few trails off it. duniden has a sick dh track.
Wellington has shuttles and once christchurch recovers from it's earthquake it has shuttles to all under Southstar.co.nz

Everywhere has great trail riding. A 4-6 inch travel bike would be the most fun. Queenstown is packed full of trail areas just like Wellington and rotorua , Napier and auckland
Also local knowledge pays off so hit up local bike shops and they will let you in on the good stuff.

Remember we are a small country and we are getting established.

Jun 29, 2007
Rotorua has a shuttle service with a few trails off it.
Once christchurch recovers from it's earthquake it has shuttles to all under Southstar.co.nz
Correction:
Southstar Adventures shut down their Christchurch early Febuary.
They operate solely in Rotorua which has fantastic trails.
Check them out here: http://www.southstaradventures.com/

IMHO, Queenstown would be best for a DH bike, 5-6 inch trail bike elsewhere.