Quantcast

New Zoke AM3 fork report, adjustment suggestions?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Went home yesterday to find no fork. My wife had a pair of shoes coming in from J.Jill so we waited for the UPS man on the porch together like a couple of children. Dude showed up at 6:30, she had her shoes, I had my fork... in about 20 min I was ready to hit the dirt.

The adjustments went less smoothly than I am use to. It took me about 5 min to dial my last fork. The Zoke AM3 is air though with no other adjustments. The advertisement said 1 leg coil, one leg air... wrong. This thing is dual Air. But unlike most dual air shocks... one of the chambers is not a negative spring (I think the neg spring is actually a neg coil in the right leg). Both chambers are positive. Left leg takes a lot of pumping to get the pressure up to par.... right leg takes very little air to get it going. Rebound is already perfect so no need to change oil onr anything like that, but I cant quite get a handle on this air thing. I never got the fork feeling the way I like it.

I like a supple fork for the first half of the travel and then I like it to ramp up to a stiffer fork... I never could get the suppleness that I like without feeling afraid to take a large hit and bottoming out. Basically I discovered that filling up the left leg alone, the one that takes a lot of air to fill up, it creates a very bouncy, unstable fork. Filling up the right leg alone creates a firm but more stable feeling fork. Filling up both legs very easily creates a rock hard, harsh fork. Basically I have a very small amount of air in each leg and I have a fairly plush fork but its still not quite what I like... Still I am use to a coil spung fork so maybe I will just never get exactly what I am use to?

Anyway any suggestions? The manual is about as helpful as a slap in the face. Basically it says, set up with proper sag (duh)... inflate to X amount of pressure for body weight. If I use its pressure specs, I basically get a rigid fork.

It better than any air fork I have ever ridden BTW. I'll be happy when I get it broken in and dialed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have never ridden an all air fork. That would make me way too scared to hit anything unless I was a good 75 pounds lighter.

I would say small adjustments to one leg at a time. What pressure range doe it have? Start with the minimum and make small adjustments to the right until you like the feel, then move to the left. Chances are you will get the left done, make a small adjustment to the right and be spot on.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, since you complained about it, here's what I think. Warning: I have never owned an air fork.

I think you being "afraid" to bottom out is a completely different issue from actually bottoming out. Unless you are actually bottoming out the fork repeatedly, it's not set too soft.

If you're not lightly bottoming out the fork once in a while, it's probably set too stiff anyway.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I dunno what the pressure limits for your fork are, but small pressure differences are pretty noticeable for the air assist dealie on my fork. I count the number of pumps, because the gauge barely registers the PSI most of the time.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
Well, since you complained about it, here's what I think. Warning: I have never owned an air fork.

I think you being "afraid" to bottom out is a completely different issue from actually bottoming out. Unless you are actually bottoming out the fork repeatedly, it's not set too soft.

If you're not lightly bottoming out the fork once in a while, it's probably set too stiff anyway.
Wasnt as much a complaint as it was an observation... but it was true, eh.
Its really a tricky form to dial. I tried the 1 leg at a time, today I will ride it again and see how the new setup works.