Quantcast

Newb Question: Mountain Biking Etiquette

WWU_Biker

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Federal Way, WA
Hey, I just started mountain biking today at Dash point and it was sick. I was just wondering if i should follow some common rules that I might not know about, so I dont piss anyone off. The trails were pretty narrow and how do you know who has the right of way. And any other stuff I should know about.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
I have heard that " who ever is having the most fun gets right of way " So if some dude is panting his ass off climbing up a steep dirt road on his 20lb xc bike, and you are bombing down it- the climber would have right of way because, to him, pedaling up a hill is more fun than you coming down it. you go to western?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Etiquette is subservient to local laws. You'll get lots of opinions, but the rangers issuing citations have the final word. Here, if you ride -- in the opinion of the ranger -- too fast or out of control, they'll cite you. That said, uphill always has the right of way, but if you're climbing and feeling like yielding, go for it.

Pedestrians and horses *always* have the right of way.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
bigshred said:
I have heard that " who ever is having the most fun gets right of way " So if some dude is panting his ass off climbing up a steep dirt road on his 20lb xc bike, and you are bombing down it- the climber would have right of way because, to him, pedaling up a hill is more fun than you coming down it.
hmmm nope you're totally wrong....

Ettiquette is for a downhiller to always yeild to someone climbing uphill, most of the time if you have 2 experienced good riders you can just pass by each other with no confict without either getting off the bike. Look em in the eye and state your intention, like i usually say i'll stay to my right.....
Just bombing down and being a dick is not the way to go.....

Also proper ettiquette is for the mt. biker to yeild to everyone, which in most circumstances just doesn't happen, i mean you're not gonna go slow behind a pack of walkers for 10 miles.... So just letting them know you're coming by, passing slow by em, give em a thanx then continue to rip. If they are coming the opposite way give em a berth, but most of the time you'll find they are happy to get off the side of that trail and give us the right of way. Make sure you thank em, being cool to people in the woods will go a long way in letting us keep trails open to mt. biking.
Yeilding to Dirtbikes is a must, you don't wanna die so yeild.
Yeilding to horses the same thing, dismounting and talking is very important because horses don't know if you're an animal wanting to eat them. On some trails if a horse freaks out someone could get seriously hurt or killed.

Dash Point is a pretty cool little trail system a little bit of everything there. Have fun and we'll probably see ya on the trail.:)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
First of all, there are a lot of clueless riders out there and I have run into some real dick heads on the trail. I miss the old days when I was the only one out in the woods.

But I'm not, so this is how it works. The uphill rider has the right of way. That is the general rule but you must apply common sense. If you are a lone rider riding uphill and a group of 10 is bombing down, it's going to work out better for you to pull off and let them go by. Ultimately safety is first. If the downhill is fast with a lot of turns and limited visibility, you would be best off paying attention and if you see someone bombing down, get out of the way if you don't think they are going to see you in time.

Other than that just do what Skookum said :)

Be nice to everyone! If everyone in MTBing could manage a smile in the woods this would be a different sport. What I want to know is , if people are doing something they love, why so many cranky pants out there on the trails?

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
One time I was coming down hill on some large rocks. Basically four or five 1 to 2 foot steps. There was no way I could stop. As I was coming down these two kids started to climb up. I nearly took a dive off the cliff into the lake. I wanted to kick their a$$es. Instead I said thanks alot d!cks. They followed up with we have the right of way. What ever...like said before just because your approaching a hill doesn't mean you shouldn't see if some one has already started down it. Be considerate to everyone out on the trails and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Right of way means nothing, if you step out into rush hour traffic you're going to cause an accident reguardless of being in a crosswalk or not.

Generally you should yield to everybody. I like to keep my speed in check on multiuse trails where I suspect a hiker or horseman may sneak up on me, being able to stop quickly is one thing, being able to stop without freaking out the other person or animal is another thing. Most non cyclists don't know about current break and tire technology and don't understand how fast we can stop, if they see you bombming down a trail they'll probablly move off the trail because they think you can't stop and they'll surrender the right of way. Ettiquite dictates that you break before the pedestrians or horsebackriders feel like they need to step off the trail. Some of the guys I ride with wear a bell on their camelback or handlebar so hikers will hear you coming before they see you, it's a personal thing rather you do or not. We all know of trails that are exclusively used by mountain bikers these are the trails you can let'er rip and go fast, when others are around keep things below mach 5.

When passing or being passed by horseback riders it's important to communicate with the rider, especially if passing from behind. Make sure that the horse knows where you are and where you're going, if that means the rider has to turn the horse's head so it sees you or if the whole horse has to be turned. Some horses are more easily spooked than others, the rider will know best where and how you should pass. Generally you'll want to pass on the down hill side of the trail so that if the horse is spooked it runs uphill, a horse running uphill is supposedly easier to control or hang onto or whatever.

As a rule, horse riders get the most leeway. The money to take land away resides with them. So as much as it hurts to be nice, give them either a wide berth, or get off and wait till they pass. Thank them, and after their gone, Flip'em off.

As far as uphill and downhill, I'd go with the answer of terrain dependant. If the trail permits, share it. If not, uphill has the right of way. Getting going after you had to get off and wait is a pain in the arse.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
get a roadbike, cuz if you can do the speed limit, you don't have to yield :evil:

this, for me, only happens on the downhill, but fear not fellow motorists, on these twisty canyons, very few cars can keep up with a roadbike, so we're not slowing anyone down.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Uphill is supposed to have the right of way but the occasional time I am climbing singletrack and see someone coming down I always get off. To me the flow of a descent is much more important then the momentum of a climb. That said I never expect anyone to yield for me, but most of the trails I ride are pretty established as downhill routes. Most people seem to yield when I am coming down. Probably because they are climbing up in xc gear as I come down on my big bike in pads.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Lots of good etiquette rules in here. Thanks people.

One thing to keep in mind, is this. If you see someone wrenching on their bike, or just sitting there on the side of the trail, ask them if they need anything. The right tool, some water for the dehydrated or a call for emergency assistance can really help someone out of a jam.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:
Only thing I would add is that I usually dismount and walk when passing hikers or horses. Simplifies the situation and shows respect.

J
You dismount for hikers? If I did that here, i'd be a hiker.

I do stop for horses and wait until they know I'm there. they sometimes spook easy and can throw their rider.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
johnbryanpeters said:
Only thing I would add is that I usually dismount and walk when passing hikers or horses. Simplifies the situation and shows respect.

J
I also apply this rule towards people with dogs... I 'll slow WAY down and see how the dog and owner re-act to me. If they are cool I slowly cruise by. If the dog (or owner) seems anxious I get off and walk past them.

In one case I had to take off my helmet when a German Shepard went ape-sh*t because he didn't recognize me as a human. Once I took my full face helmet off the dog stared to wag his tail and was very freindly... :love:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
that's interesting about the helmets and horses. never knew it made a difference to them, make sense though.

here's another tip: if you are part of a crew bombing the downhill part of your ride, the first rider in the descent line should announce to oncoming traffic how many bombers they should expect, of course after thanking them for moving over for you. "three more behind me..."

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
genpowell71 said:
As a rule, horse riders get the most leeway. The money to take land away resides with them. So as much as it hurts to be nice, give them either a wide berth, or get off and wait till they pass. Thank them, and after their gone, Flip'em off.
Why does it hurt to be nice? :confused:

I stop for horses, slow way down for hikers coming the other way, slow way down and announce my presence when approaching hikers going the same way and yield to climbers. We're all out there to have fun.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Slugman said:
In one case I had to take off my helmet when a German Shepard went ape-sh*t because he didn't recognize me as a human. Once I took my full face helmet off the dog stared to wag his tail and was very freindly... :love:
I'm confused, you look human with your helmet off? Who'dathunkit :D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
LordOpie said:
I'm confused, you look human with your helmet off? Who'dathunkit :D
C'mon now L'opie... you could have done better than that! :eviltongu

No comments about me looking like his B*tch? :blah:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
From IMBA:

10 Responsible Riding Tips

1. Be Prepared
Know your equipment, your ability, the weather, and the area you are riding and prepare accordingly. A well-planned ride will go smoothly for you and your companions.

2. Don't Ride On Closed Trails
Whether it is to protect the environment or for rider safety, a closed trail is off limits for a reason. Riding closed trails is not only illegal; it gives mountain bikers a bad reputation.

3. Say No To Mud
Riding a muddy trail can cause unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting damage.

4. Respect the Trail, Wildlife and Environment
Be sensitive to the trail and its surroundings by riding softly and never skidding. Do not litter and never scare animals.

5. Stay On the Trail
Do not intentionally ride off trail. Riding off trail can damage the ecosystem. Never cut switchbacks.

6. Ride Slowly On Crowded Trails
Just like a busy highway, when trails are crowded you must move slowly to ensure safety for all trail users.

7. Pass With Courtesy and Care
Slow down when approaching other trail users and respectfully make others aware you are approaching. Pass with care and be prepared to stop if necessary.

8. Share the Trail With Other Trail Users
Mountain bikers, hikers and equestrians must share multi-use trails. Remember: mountain bikers should yield to hikers and equestrians.

9. Don't Do Unauthorized Trailwork
Unauthorized or illegal trailwork may lead to environmental damage, injury or even potential trail closure.

10. Get Involved
If you want to make a difference in your mountain biking community get involved with a local club, Visit: imba.com to find a club in your area.