Quantcast

Newb ?s; doubles, rhythm sections, pedaling, etc

Ok, so I decided I'd get off my butt and try to get on my bike more often. So I figured I'd go out and try our local BMX track. First time ever doing BMX stuff. Gotta tell ya' it was pretty fun, but boy do I need some practice. So I have a few questions about how you go about developing certain techniques. Keep in mind that I currently only have a Yeti-ASX, so right now I can only do practices. If I want to race I was told I'd need a cruiser bike, but I really don't want to commit to buying a bike if I'm not sure I'll commit to riding BMX.

Anyway, here are my questions:

Doubles: How do you clear these? Are you trying to launch off the lip and get height to clear the double, or are you just trying to go as fast as you can to carry you over? I noticed some guys would manual some and clear others. Is there a certain type of double that is better suited for one technique over the other?

Step-ups/triples: Same question as doubles I guess. Try and preload alot on the intitial lip to get height or raw speed.

Rhythm sections: Pedal or pump? When I was first trying them, I would just keep pedaling to keep my speed up. But I noticed that those who raced didn't seem to pedal at all through those sections, but rather "pump" through them. So is it faster then to just pump through?

Manuals: How do I go about developing this technique without killing myself? All I remember is that video of spomer through a rythem section almost decapitating himself. Any tips?

Bike setup: Any tips for optimizing my AS-X for the track. I imagine one would be upping the air pressure in my 5th to make more pedal friendly.

Practicing: I had to pay $3 to practice, so I though that each run I would just go all out and pretty much go as fast as I could on each run. Well, I only got through 4 runs. Then I was about dead, dehydrated, major leg cramp, nausea, and almost passed out. I noticed though that everyone would only go all out on one section, then pretty much coast the rest of the way. So, would I get more out of my practices if I 1) get in shape and 2) just go all out one section and take it easy the rest of the course, thereby focusing my pratice on certain techniques (starting, berms, doubles, etc.)?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's really hard to tell someone how to hit a certain type of obstacle quickly. It comes down to style and specific layout. For instance, on some doubles you may wanna jump them to maintain speed but on others it may be faster to stay on the ground. It's just a matter of practice and watching what the fast guys do.

For manuals, just practice them all the time. Like everywhere you ride, just try a manual here and there. And remember to keep your butt back. After you learn the basic manual you can apply it to rythym sections.

With your bike, I'd make the suspension stiffer and the tires a bit harder. Also, you should lower your bars as much as possible for more leverage, and you should lower your fork to its minimum travel. I don't know what setting you're using on your bike but it should probably be in the 6" mode for a lower BB.

Hope that helps!

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
You could also just pick up a used cruiser or 20 which would work a hell of a lot better than a dually on a BMX track. It cost half as much as your rear shock too.....

If you dont like it, just resell. No harm done.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
As others have said, BMX bikes are cheap and will give you great bikehandling fundamentals. If you can't/don't want to spend the $$ on one, there's no shame in that either. Do what you can to stiffen up your current rig as much as possible. Being able to feel your mistakes and not lose motion to suspension input will help you learn. There isn't a lot we can tell you about specific obstacles; most of it you will pick up by just riding more.

Now that you've been to a nicely groomed track, you know how it feels. As you ride in some urban environments, you'll start to spot terrain/obstacles that resemble those on the track. Use those experiences on the track to unlock the potential of your everyday environment. This way, every day on your bike becomes a "practice".

Since you're on the subject of "practice" lets address that too. The difference between practice and a race is that the first scenario prepares you for the later. If you just blow through practice at top speed, you wont be taking any time to hone specific skills. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, when I used to race BMX, I used practice to focus on specific areas. A lot of it was practicing my starts and sprinting to the first jump/berm. Once I cleared that point during those runs, I'd chill on the rest of the track and just hit the stuff I wanted to, and roll the stuff I didn't. After I'd practice gate starts for an hour or so, I'd work on "speedjumping" (that's what we called manualing jumps to spend more time going forward than up and down back in the day) doubles and triples. The way you would ride a BMX track for fun vs. a race used to be completely different. Except at a few national events, doubles weren't monster gaps that were make or break deals. Everyone could air them, but it was faster to take the low altitude approach. So when you were at practice you worked on the technique and then the technique at speed. And then as practice was winding down and the track would get more open as fewer riders would be on each gate, it went from "practice" to fun. Just rolling the track at a comfy speed, airing the stuff you liked and throwing style you wouldn't think of doing in a race.

You can work on speed and endurance in just about any environment. Take the time at the track to reallly focus on the diciplines you can't easily reproduce away from the track. If you plan to race, work on your gate starts, flowing doubles and triples, and just plain being smooth. Flow and rythym aren't best learned at the speed of light, so take your time and feel your way around the track. Odds are the line you feel smoothest on is the one that will be fastest for you. But maybe you find that you just like flowing the track; not at warp speed, but just fast enough to air the stuff you like at the speed you want. Just making a clean run that feels so smooth and right that not much else really matters is often more inspiring and rewarding that transfering out in your first moto and placing well in the main. Twelve years after I rode my last BMX race, the things I remember most aren't the nationals, double points races, etc. But the fun I had just riding the track, being with family and friends and being happy on my bike.

Oh, one more thing, assuming you're a true newb at ridding stuff like this, driveways are great tools to learn how to accelerate/pump/manual out of doubles, stutter bumps, and the back sides of tables. Two driveways next to each other will provide transitions that will allow you to work on weight transfer on your bike. Everything from rolling up one face, manualing over the middle ground and back down the face that would be on the second driveway, to trying to clear them and focus on a smooth transition on the far side (rear wheel first landing, manualing out of it rather than nosing down like you would on a pump track. You wont be catching big air or anything, but you'll start to be able to feel the ballance point on your bike and use even the smallest little slope as potential source for speed.

Sorry for the ramble, but when you look back and realize that you spent tons of years riding all around the hood and local tracks, you realize how may little skills you take for granted as you grow your experience base. Kinda cool to be able to expound upon it and share with others hoping they get the same enjoyment out of time on their bike that you do/did.

Chris

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Nice write up! .02, def start practicing manuals everywhere and anywhere you ride. If you cant think of anything else to do, theres always a nice manual a second away.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
My tips for hauling ass around a BMX track are too stop looking at each obstacle and instead get a lot of speed going then carry your momentum around the track. Don't use the brakes, go high in the berms and pedal. When you come up on a double, just treat it like part of the trail, it's just something in your way, so don't let it slow you down. Don't pull up for anything. Soon, you find out about un-weighting before bumps, then weighting on the back-sides.

Your ASX on the BMX track will make you feel like an elephant in a china store, it'll only rob your energy and make make you look clumsy as the 6 ex kid blasts by you. I know a guy who used to try to ride his ASX at the indoor track.

If it's your only bike and you can't spare $100 or so for a nice used 24" cruiser, then here's some tips for set up.
Drop front and rear travel as low as it'll go, if it's adjustable. If your fork has air preload, then make it as stiff as you can. Set the Progressive shock to Volume full out, Air 175lbs, both comps full in, and twist down some more preload too. Put the rebound pretty slow.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, that track looks really fun in that vid! I gotta get out to a BMX track some day soon here.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
azonicbruce said:
Keep in mind that I currently only have a Yeti-ASX, so right now I can only do practices. If I want to race I was told I'd need a cruiser bike, but I really don't want to commit to buying a bike if I'm not sure I'll commit to riding BMX.
While the ASX is not by any means ideal, I can't see why you aren't allowed to race cruiser class? Cruiser class by ABA standards is a bike with wheels 24" or larger.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
amydalayna said:
While the ASX is not by any means ideal, I can't see why you aren't allowed to race cruiser class? Cruiser class by ABA standards is a bike with wheels 24" or larger.
Yes, as far as I know there are no rules saying you can't race your big bike in the cruiser class. The cruiser class was originally for 26" wheeled bikes. People in the past have raced with 2 gears such as the ACS two speed freewheel, and with 3 speed profile bmx hubs. Answer used to sell the Pro-Forx BMX suspension forks that were very popular around 1995. I think that covers any argument anyone can use to stop you.

You won't beat anyone, so who would complain?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
TWISTED said:
You won't beat anyone, so who would complain?
DukesOfTahoe goes out and races every week on an Enduro and he destroys it out there. He's beating guys on 26" hardtails and traditional cruiser bikes. I guess what I'm saying is that you can race on something other than you're traditional cruiser bike and do well.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
^ all of those tracks are even farther away from me, but thanks for the info. If I go on a short road trip I'll know where to find BMX tracks in IL.

Ok, so I'm going to be going back again today.

I'm going to up the pressure on my 5th; it's already in the 6" position. Up the pressure in my tires (45psi sound ok?)

I'm wondering about my fork, though ('05 Z1 FR-1). It has ETA that will "reduce" the travel to about 3-4", but I think it's only inteded to be used on slow climbs and such, not necessarily as a all-time travel reduction solution.

Any info on this? Would I destroy/kill my fork if I ride it with ETA on?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You can ride in ETA as long as you want. It bumps the travel down to even less than 3-4" I think, so it may kill your geo. Maybe look at bumping up the preload a lot instead, because ETA really slams the fork.

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
the best way u an get into shape is by riding, go to the track and just ride, dont just do one section either, if u plan on racing ur going to want to make it all the way around the track, and if u never practice the whole thing at once u surely wont be winning any trophys, as for a cruiser, idk who told u that u have to get a cruiser, u could race 20 in if u want, which u may find to be more competitive, and as for the rythems, dont pedal! pump!

edit: oh and of course dont forget to stretch, calves, hamis and quads

Well, good news is I actually got 8 runs in instead of only 4 like last time. Stiffening up the back end really helped pop up the bike on the lips, although I still didn't clear any of the doubles. Definitely caught some more air though. Someone let me borrow their cruiser for my last run. MAN that thing was light. I took it easy though cause he had clipless pedals and my shoes are clipless compatible, but don't have the cleats, so the metal-to-plasitc interface what quite slippery. Didn't want to pull a spomer.

At least afterwards I was able to take some pictures of the racing action:

You can check out the rest of the pics here:
http://www.60hzproductions.com/gallery/SC-6-16-06

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Doubles: i think the best way is to clear then first, but more glide em then jump em..once you can do that you can just manual em which is a lot harder and technical..i used to clear em back in the day..

Step-ups/triples: preload, tuck and have enough speed and hope for the best.

Rhythm sections: i pump, i used to race when i was 10, and they had a speedo there on the rhythm, i could hit like 35 or something rediculous, one way to learn w/o going to the track is going down curbs, like near a crosswalk..when you go down you kind of push your whole body down..and the opposite for going up, pull your front end up a lil and take the shock in..

Manuals: stay centered more then leaning back, its not a freeride bike, so its light..just lean back w/o pulling up hard..practice on flat grass surface till you get like 20 feet.

Bike setup: more pressure is nice..i always had narrower bars, practically no seat post, a light bike, and a huge chain ring..like 38th.

Practicing: my first time racing, i came 2 hours early, signed up, and rode the track the 2 hours before the motos, non stop, and won the whole thing..the more you go the better..the best thing i could recommend is going like 2 or 3 runs, take a SMALL WATER break and 2 minutes to breath, and then do it all over..more stamina the easier it is to go faster in shorter distances..