Quantcast

newbie derailer adjustment

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Any good tutorials or posts on how to derailer adjusting?

the front I am fine with, but it seems like everytime I get the rear adjusted well, I go ride the bike and halfway through the ride it seems worse than when I started....

This is my first full suspension and it seems a bit touchier than previous bikes....anyway the last time I adjusted it well I had been enjoying a beer and it was nice for a ride or two, then I tried again the other day and now I only have about 5 choices out of 8 :rofl:

Help!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
something else to point out:

If these are new parts, or you just installed a new shifter cable, then things getting goofy after 2 rides is normal. A brand new, never used shifter cable WILL stretch after some use. Just get it back to proper tension and you are set.

Tip: I learned this as a mechanic; when you are installing, you can "pre-stretch" your cable. Get it installed in the shifter, through the housing and into the derailler. Find a spot on your frame where the cable is exposing, and pull it out slightly (only a few inches from the frame is necessay), then release (but not like a slingshot, don't wanna ding your frame). Re-tighten the cable at the derailler, and repeat until no more stretching occurs (should only take 3-4 times). You might still get a little bit of stretch once you start riding, but this is normal.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Quick add on, if you got your bike from a decent shop, the high and low limits should be set up fine. If your bike doesn't get to all the gears properly, or skips while shifting, or similar problems, it is NOT the limit screws. Use cable tension to adjust your shifting 99% of the time. Should you need to adjust your limits (won't go into high or low gear by moving the der with your hand, not the cable), it is frequently a bent derailleur hanger, and not an actual limit problem.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Quick add on, if you got your bike from a decent shop, the high and low limits should be set up fine. If your bike doesn't get to all the gears properly, or skips while shifting, or similar problems, it is NOT the limit screws. Use cable tension to adjust your shifting 99% of the time. Should you need to adjust your limits (won't go into high or low gear by moving the der with your hand, not the cable), it is frequently a bent derailleur hanger, and not an actual limit problem.
Yea, this is something I should have pointed out. Limit screws are a "set it and forget it" adjustment.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yea, this is something I should have pointed out. Limit screws are a "set it and forget it" adjustment.
clearly that is a tid bit I should've learned years ago :p

How can someone who has been riding a bike consistently since he was 6 years old not know something that seems so obvious?:(

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
They're so tempting, I mean if you haven't tried before, those screws seem like the only way to fix the damn thing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
This thread is very informative, thanks guys.

They're so tempting, I mean if you haven't tried before, those screws seem like the only way to fix the damn thing.
You aren't kidding, Honestly I can not stop laughing at how retarded I am for fixing these things all wrong for all these and wondering why it was always screwed up :rofl:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
so, I pulled the bike out for the season a few weeks back, and adjusted my derailer properly....and with out alcohol...and she shifts oh so smooth :thumb: