Quantcast

newbie from AZ has a question

doAZido

Chimp
Aug 20, 2003
Glendale Arizona
Hello ridemonkeys,this looks like a great forum. Maybe someone can help me. I have been riding my easton ultralite hardtail for about a year and a half. I love it! I have lost 35 pounds, I feel better than I have in years ( I am 39 years old ) and I love riding with my son and my best friend. The only thing is I have not got enough confidence to use clippless pedals. I still ride with platform pedals. I have seen the time atac z pedals with clips and a platform type of thing, does anyone know anything about these? Here in Arizona we have a lot of great trails with a lot of climbing. After using just platform pedals for so long, would clippless pedals make a big change in performance? thanx for any input anyone may have.

Welcome to the monkey...

To answer your question...YES. Clipless pedals will drastically improve your performance. They do take a little getting used to, some re-learning. Best thing is to put them on and get the cleats adjusted properly (very important). Then go somewhere like a park or your yard and practice getting in and out of the pedals. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Keep in mind, sometime, somewhere, at least once, you are gonna fall over. Don't worry, nobody tend to try step off the bike at any kind speed, or during a crash. Your gonna come to stop, not get your foot out, and just fall over. All your friends, and spectators will laugh at you. It'll be great!!! But in time it will second nature and you won't even think about it.

Good Luck

PsychO! Mike

zibbler

Monkey
It's not really necessary to go clipless. If you're really into a lot of epic riding or have lots of climbs, then clipless will definitely help. I still ride on platform pedals. I tried clipless and really didn't like it, but, for the type of riding I do (aggressive xc and light freeride), I'm better off using platforms.

If you're looking for a really good set of entry level clipless pedals, I have a pair for sale. I used them only a couple of times before I decided I prefered riding platforms. Check the "stuff for sale" link in my signature.

BTW, welcome to the :monkey: . Most of us hang out in the lounge.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I have a pair of the Time ATAC Z pedals, and while I like them, they may not be for you. As a beginner rider, you won't really need the platform if you're going clipless. It makes it a bit easier to get clipped in, but only if you're riding technical terrain. On the Z pedals, the platforms are there so you can go clipped out for riding scary stuff when you need to bail quickly. I also like them because they give my feet more support on heavy landings.

I would also steer you away from Times, because they are harder to get in and out of than Shimino-type SPDs. As a beginner, this will cause more frustration than necessary. SPDs expose their weakness in muddy conditions, but you probably don't find that much down there.

Go for as high a quality pedal as you can afford, and if you buy them used, which is fine, get new cleats to improve their performance.

Also, every rider has great stories about when they first went to clipless. Mine involved a very muddy trail lined with blackberries. My friends were very amused!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I love my clipless and feel really weird if I'm not clipped in. I am not "one" with my bike! I did notice a major difference in my climbs when I went clipless (plus noticed some really awesome muscle definition in my legs, too.)

I had a pair of cheapy clip/platform pedals but they were very heavy (if that matters to you) and gummed up with mud/crud easily. 'Course that's probably because they were CHEAP. I have seen a strong plastic platform pedal that actually clips into your cliplless if you want to go that route. You can just pop 'em in and out as needed, or leave one side the platform and the other the clip.

By the way, welcome and where are you in AZ? I was born/raised in Flagstaff and spent my college years in Tucson.

TheJaybird

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Woodland, CA
Just started using eggbeaters. I love them. I too am new at the clipless thing having only converted about a year ago when I bought my road bike... It just kind of made sense once I got used to them.

doAZido

Chimp
Aug 20, 2003
Glendale Arizona
Hey everyone, thanx for all the replies. The info will be very useful. I am gonna give the clipless pedals a try. Stay tuned for what is sure to be an interesting show out on the trail! Any bets on how many times I will just fall right off the trail! Hey G Cracker I am in the Phoenix area. Did you ride while you were in az ! Flag and Tuscon have really cool MTB scenes. .........well thanx again

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
No, I unfortunately never mtb'ed in either Flag or Tucson, unless you want to count my BMX trail riding in Flag when I was growing up!

I didn't get into the sport until I moved out to KC, but I can't wait to get on the trails when we move back to Tucson next year...

Good luck with the pedals...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
A little advice....

When you get your pedals,... practice getting in and out of them in a grassy field somewhere. When you have some confidence, go ride a bit over at Papago Park. Even if you've ridden there thousands of times,... it will be different clipped in. Once you feel solid, go hit your normal trails....

Go give National Trail a go for me. Man I miss that trail.

Have fun. :D

psychokid

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
La Jolla, CA
Originally posted by peter6061
A little advice....

When you get your pedals,... practice getting in and out of them in a grassy field somewhere. When you have some confidence, go ride a bit over at Papago Park. Even if you've ridden there thousands of times,... it will be different clipped in. Once you feel solid, go hit your normal trails....

Go give National Trail a go for me. Man I miss that trail.

Have fun. :D
I have some pretty funny stories regarding my clipless pedal experience.

BTW, if you're going for SPD pedals, go for the SH-55 multi-release cleats! That way, you're able to "bail" off of the clipless ASAP whichever way your react.

ANother thing, when you start of is to just get to the point where you can unclip fast. I had issues with unclipping when my shoes were too loose (and I subsequently fell in 1 foot deep mud).

With SPDs, I set the tension level lower than what can only be described as "death valley low".

Finally, it's good to go with a combo platform clipless. That way, you can jump in between quick rides with your sneakers and longer rides with your cleated shoes.