Quantcast

Newbie looking for new bike

Potroman

Chimp
Aug 15, 2019
Hi all! I am a newbie mountain biker in Texas, so terrains aren’t crazy. I KNOW what I am looking at in terms of bikes will not be top notch and probably laughable by everyone on here, but I am looking at something around 300 bucks for starters. I know this isn’t anything great but I am looking at a Mongoose Impasse on Amazon for 300. It seems to have some decent things on it (Shimano equipment). Is there anything else you guys would recommend around that price point? Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not sure about the type of trails you have over there, but its usually a good id to look at a used bike. Plenty of people here will be happy to help you with that.

“Shimano equipment” doesnt always mean much btw, since they have a wide range of products from just ok > amazing...

Potroman

Chimp
Aug 15, 2019
Sounds good thanks! I was told to be weary of used bikes only because you dont know their history but I guess I should find a reputable shop and see what they say. Any suggestions as to what to look for and what to stay away from? @Kevin

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anything that's $300 and new is likely terrible. Where in Texas are you so we can all spend random parts of our day browsing Craigslist? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
used would definitely be the way to go. some decent looking stuff can be found here:

i filtered it to texas for you and set a max price of 500 just to see what's there.

Potroman

Chimp
Aug 15, 2019
Anything that's $300 and new is likely terrible. Where in Texas are you so we can all spend random parts of our day browsing Craigslist? :D
Hahaha I wouldn’t mind some random help... :) I’ll be in the Fort Worth/Dallas area, but willing to drive to Austin and Houston also...not sure of what type of riding yet, im very new, so whatever is available in these areas. Thanks all!

Edit: these are the first finds

GT: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/d/lewisville-2018-gt-verb-full-suspension/6948498439.html

TREK: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/d/trek-4300-alpha-aluminum-mountain-bike/6954236933.html

DIAMONDBACK:

Last edited:

Potroman

Chimp
Aug 15, 2019
Thanks for the advice! Pushing at 500 now...saw some new Marlin 4 and Specialized Rockhoppers, both are a decent way to go for now?