Quantcast

Newbie looking to replace Enduro brakes

doclaw

Chimp
Aug 29, 2020
Hello,

I am starting to get back into riding and I have a '00 Specialized FSR Enduro. I am getting the bike fixed because of a few decades of non use, lol the brakes are not working well. The shop said they have not had much luck fixing the hayes brakes, but I said to try anyway. If they cannot fix it, what would be a good replacement? It does not have to be hydraulic, but I would like a decent disc brake setup.

The index shifters are not working correctly either, but they said they should be able to fix those.

TIA

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hello,

I am starting to get back into riding and I have a '00 Specialized FSR Enduro. I am getting the bike fixed because of a few decades of non use, lol the brakes are not working well. The shop said they have not had much luck fixing the hayes brakes, but I said to try anyway. If they cannot fix it, what would be a good replacement? It does not have to be hydraulic, but I would like a decent disc brake setup.

The index shifters are not working correctly either, but they said they should be able to fix those.

TIA
Well, don't go looking at the brake threads, they are way too complex. Chances are you'll be served just fine by some Shimano BR-6000 or BR-6100 brakes. At least 180 rotor up front, wouldn't hurt in the rear too. The suspension on that bike is going to limit it more than anything, so it doesn't need the craziest brakes.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well, don't go looking at the brake threads, they are way too complex. Chances are you'll be served just fine by some Shimano BR-6000 or BR-6100 brakes. At least 180 rotor up front, wouldn't hurt in the rear too. The suspension on that bike is going to limit it more than anything, so it doesn't need the craziest brakes.
JM, I got this one................................... Buy Hope!!!!!!!

man its been a long time since I typed that:banana:

doclaw

Chimp
Aug 29, 2020
Well the shop said it is a no go for both the shifters and the brakes. What parts should I get if I want to stay in the mid priced area. I do have mounts for rim brakes but I heard that my rims are not made for those. How could they not be? It is just rubber pressing on metal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well the shop said it is a no go for both the shifters and the brakes. What parts should I get if I want to stay in the mid priced area. I do have mounts for rim brakes but I heard that my rims are not made for those. How could they not be? It is just rubber pressing on metal.
The parts we already mentioned. Post pictures of your rim. Rims designed for rim brakes are pretty rare anymore.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You bike might be 9 speed gearing, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to buy mid-level 9 speed shifters as they're just not sold new anymore. You'll need to look on ebay or pinkbike if you want shifters above entry level. Brakes, as posted above, get some Shimano Deore level.

If it's been sat in the shed for 10 years the front and rear suspension is likely also going to have issues, plus potentially rotten tyres.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm curious how the shifters are "no gos", they generally are fine. The grease gets gummy and keeps the ratchets from freeing, which is fixed with some shots of WD-40 and playing with the shifter. It's ultra-rare for those to actually break.

doclaw

Chimp
Aug 29, 2020
You bike might be 9 speed gearing, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to buy mid-level 9 speed shifters as they're just not sold new anymore. You'll need to look on ebay or pinkbike if you want shifters above entry level. Brakes, as posted above, get some Shimano Deore level.

If it's been sat in the shed for 10 years the front and rear suspension is likely also going to have issues, plus potentially rotten tyres.
It sat inside my attached garage. I live in socal so it never saw freezing temps but it has seen hot temps. The tires were fine. I have look at them and they don't seem like they are rotten. They don't fall apart when I touch them. The rear suspension seems fine, it went up and down when I pedalled, just like it used to lol.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nobody has suggested pitching this bike in the dumpster yet?

That would be my advice.

Buy a new bike. Or a new*er* bike... trying to get an old POS like that up and running is rapidly going to become not worth it.