Quantcast

newbie racer

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well, I've been saying for the past year that I want to try racing, and I think July is the month (I'm going to get my ass kicked :D )

There is a Connecticut NORBA series. They have various classes. I am not sure if I should try the First Timer class, or just go for the Beginner 30-39 class (I will be 30 by the time the races are here). The First Timer race is usually 4 or 5 miles. I can ride 4 or 5 miles with little difficulty. The Beginner 30-39 class is usually 8-10 miles. Seems that for the same price, I get to ride twice the miles if I just join the beginner class. Any thoughts?

I've only really been riding hard for a year. My legs aren't anywhere near what I'd like them to be for a race. That is why I say I'm going to get my butt kicked.

Also, am I stupid for thinking I can race XC on a FS?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Go on to Beginner - half the time those "first timers" actually have raced before (just maybe not at NORBA events).

I ALWAYS race XC on an F/S (so do a lot of the pros) - us old farts need the extra cushion:D

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
You'll have a great time. As far as full supsension, I think most people are either racing them or are heading in that direction. They're light and more comfortable. :thumb:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Go beginner, it's the most bang for your buck and you'll have a blast. I am soo excited for you! A lot of people race FS, you'll be fine. Are you still doing spin classes?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Hey, it's not like I have not been riding. The best way to improve at MTB is to MTB, and that's what I have been doing, hombre.
hombre? No soy un hombre.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I am no expert at racing, but here is what I have found. I can do a recreational ride for many more miles than I can a race. I suggest riding either the race course or a trail with similar characteristics at a race pace(as fast as you can, gingerbread man). That might make the decision for you as to whether or not to race 1st timers or beginners.

If you find that ten miles at race pace is do-able, then race beginners, especially if you just want the race experience and are not too concerned with winning or even placing.

A training game a buddy & I have been playing is hill chases. If one of us finds that we are going to pass the other on an open climb, the passer will yell, "go", from around 5-10 feet behind the leader.
Thus starting a sprint to the top of the hill. I have found this to be good conditioning for when you are either trying to hold off an attacker, or successfully execute an attack. An important thing to remember, is to continue the sprint 10 feet or more, past the top of the hill. Many riders will hit the top and slow down to recover, thus, giving you a bit of an advantage or even regaining the lead if you lost the attack.

Another thing I have found to be helpful, is practicing passing. Get VtinCt and the rest of your posse out on some s-track and practice this skill. It is not easy to do unless you are comfortable identifying pass opportunities and have the confidence of tight quarters control.
Good luck, regardless of your decision.

MBmaniak

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
If its possible I usually like to pre-ride the course of a race twice the distance of the race. I usually ride really easily and just try to take in the fastest lines and try out the more technical parts. If you can ride twice the distance of the begginer course pretty easily just as a light training ride then you should go for it. It'll also help you remeber important parts in the race.