Quantcast

newbie trials questions

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
seems like smaller bikes would be easier but i seem to see larger wheeled bikes being used for trials.

what about wheel base?

is longer better or shorter better?

like if you look at BMX, a good dirt jumping frame is long but a good flatland bike is short.

seems like a longer bike would be better but what are your thoughts?

thanks.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
You got basically two types of trials bikes, mod (19/20 inch wheels) and stock 26in wheels. Both bikes can do different things better than the other. Its all preference. Mod is easier to learn on as far as technical skills go but stock bikes can roll over a lot of stuff that mods can't...I basically breaks down to personal choice...but I'm a tall guy so I kinda had to go with stock.

Plus stock is more versatile. If you buy a mod trials bike...that's all you can use it for. I can throw a 32t chainring on the front and use my stock bike as a commuter. Plus if you have to ride your bike anywhere to ride trials...you will be hating tht 20t x 15t combination on a mod bike.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
That's all true, and regarding long vs short bikes... well even in trials specific bikes there is both long and short bikes (ie, the Orange Zero is short, and the Koxx Level Boss is long) - in general, a shorter bike is better for urban style riding (manuals, bunnyhops) and a longer bike is better for natural/euro riding (surges, sidehops)

Stock (26") bikes are certainly the norm, mostly because of their versatility, and you don't see the mod riders cuz they're out in the natural stuff riding ;)