Quantcast

Newbie Trials rider.. Question

Atomik Boy

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Dartmouth, NS
What is a good recommended beginner trials frame? Can it be like a Kona Stuff or norco 125 or something?

I've never built up a trials bike and was looking for a little advice.

Thanks!

felixy69

Chimp
Apr 11, 2002
VaNcOuVeR......KiTs
K
go to the link if u are from
canada
www.thetrialsinshop.com
USA
www.trialsin.com

they sell trials products
and i would recomment
-an planet X
-Orange zero
-Koxx level boss

nothing else
because
px has a 2year unconditional warrenty (but i've seen alot of them crack) it has a great paint job and feels good on the back wheel,....little long for me tho!

and Orange zero because i've ridden mine for almost a year and haven't have any problems with it, best trials bike made, strong as hell! great geomatry, small, short fits me well

Koxx level boss-----if u want to compete

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
If you're starting out.. try and swing a Planet X Jack Flash, or Zebdi - its got the warranty, and hey, if you decide trials isn't your thing, it can be converted to a freeride bike and do an awesome job of it.

Good beginner bikes would be the Norco Evolve, and the new ZOO! bikes.. which can be viewed on either of the sites provided by felix. I don't personally like the Orange Zero but if you're a smaller rider it could be a good bet. It's set up more as an urban or versatile bike, not so much competition geometry like an Echo or Koxx.

Atomik Boy

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Dartmouth, NS
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not considering anything like competition, mainly for practice and to learn and hone some skills. I'm about 5' 11" tall, so Im not sure what type of frame would be ideal for me yet.

I've seen people use Kona Stuff frames for trials... what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers!

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Any frame CAN be used and built as a trials bike, but it will be a lot harder to learn stuff on it. You might wanna look into 20" mod bikes if you're just doing it for basic skills. Cheaper than building a stock bike...

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
I second trialsin.com, they have some great builds for under 1000! some even under 900, seems like a great way to get a trials specific bike really cheap...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
If you go to Trials-online they review the roast/stuff. It is fne for beginners. If you ever jump to comp worry about spending a fortune on a small bike with no seat ;)...

You may have to lighten the bike up though. I know the stock stuff is not very light (it is light for trails but not for trials). :)

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Here's a fact that most don't know: A frame that fits your for XC is actually better than a really small XC frame for trials.

The small XC frames are tight and cramped. Good for street style riding but for real trials you want a longer bike.

Honestly best thing to do if you don't know whether you're going to pursue trials for a longer term, is build up a sick DJ bike. It will be great for learning trials, just run an XC front wheel on the DJ bike to learn. Then it's multi-purpose too.

Once you know you're gonna stick to trials - make the investment. It IS worth it. And yes, the trialsin.com packages are a good bet!!