Quantcast

newbie with questions!

MattFoley

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
south of boston
Im new to this site and new to trials riding, Ive been using my mtn bike to work on some basic skill, but im really interested in buying a trials bike. any recomendations? are there different types of bikes(ive seen sme with small and others with big tires):confused: . what should i look for and can anyone point me in the direction of some informative sites? TIA,

Evan

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Littleton, CO
I bought my Echo at www.webcyclery.com

That site is pretty much the first I check when I need someone related to trials. Another one you can check out is www.trialsin.com

If I had to start all over again, I probably would have gotten a mod to learn on. There's nothing wrong with learning on a stock bike, I just think you might find that riding a mod is a little easier.

For a beginner mod, I'd definitely get the Monty X-alp. Trialsin.com has them for $350, sweet deal.

For a beginner stock bike, I'd get an Echo. They're cheap and have good geometry... I've put my ES1 through some pretty harsh stuff (a 7 foot drop to flat concrete, for example) and the frame took it with no problem.

Hope this helps.

-Evan

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I buy all my trials stuff from webcyclery. They are cool cats. You can't go wrong with Echo. I thing the Planet X fad has run its course and people are starting to lean toward frames with a more competition based geometry. I've got an ES1 but have an ES4 coming soon from China.

MattFoley

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
south of boston
sweet. thanks! but what is the difference between mod and stock bikes? is that the tire size? ive been using my 17" gary fisher for trials and have been wanting a real trials bike to make it easier and to get alot more technical, ive been looking around alot lately at all the links ive seen here but im not too sure which kind of bike would be best for me? does it depend on riding style:confused: thanks again

Evan

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Littleton, CO
Mod bikes use 20 inch wheels and just have a single speed. Stock bikes use 26 inch wheels and have a rear derailleur.

Your riding style shouldn't have that much of an effect on what bike you should get. The only real choice you have to make is if you want a stock bike or a mod... again, if I were to learn all over again, I would've gotten a mod. Another nice thing about mods... the entry level bikes are typically MUCH cheaper than stock bikes!

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I learned on a stock bike, once I was an intermediate rider I got myself a mod bike as well to play on - it's a great learning tool!!

The skills learned on a mod I've also taken over to stock for the most part, so I agree with the mod bike being a great learning tool. But it's definitely not neccessary!

Planet X is THE best bike for a bigger rider - untouchable warranty (and in trials, you WILL break frames), and the geometry is good for bigger riders. Echo does have much more 'trialsy' geometry though and is great if you want a true to the word trials bike.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
I learned on a stock bike, once I was an intermediate rider I got myself a mod bike as well to play on - it's a great learning tool!!

The skills learned on a mod I've also taken over to stock for the most part, so I agree with the mod bike being a great learning tool. But it's definitely not neccessary!

Planet X is THE best bike for a bigger rider - untouchable warranty (and in trials, you WILL break frames), and the geometry is good for bigger riders. Echo does have much more 'trialsy' geometry though and is great if you want a true to the word trials bike.
If you are breaking frames then you're either going WAAAY too big for your skill level or you're doing something really wrong. I ride and echo and I"m 210 pounds 6'4" with a disk brake in the rear and so far no broken frames.

i've been told a mod bike is easier to learn on than a stock but being at my height I'd be really cramped or would have to run a stupid long stem. The other down side of a mod is that if you have to pedal anywhere to ride you're SOL cuz you have to use a very low geared single speed. On my stock bike, despite having 9 gears I maybe use three...the smallest cog to get from place to place and the 19t or 17t for riding. Every other gear I don't touch.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I ride a norco team trials now but I am currently eye balling one of those cool echo's. The capriolo five frame is super sweet but you can't run a v-brake booster on it becasue of the stupid tab they put on the frame so I guess it comes back to the echo. Good bang for the buck and aggresive trials geomerty. If you have a gary fisher with genisis geomerty that might not be too bad to learn on. What ever frame you get make sure you call www.lakesidesports.com for all your trialsin gear. Got to support the little guys that come out to the events and hand out free swag.