Quantcast

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Just moved here from Bellingham, WA and I'm looking for riding. I rode Schaeffer Farms today and thought it was decent. Very good little trail system but nothing too exciting although it sure gave my 2 months out of shape butt quite a workout. I'm in Arlington (Clarendon) and willing to drive about an hour (one way) for a normal ride and about 3 hours for a day trip. I think the shed is next on my list although I don't have very good directions. Anyone in Arlington know of any good local riding spots?

I'm still in Pacific NW riding mode and looking for the most challenging terrain available but I know I can't hope for too much. It's good to be here but I do miss the real mountains already.

-Judd
(previously ArEm7)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Judd - welcome to the area! Your next outing should definitely be the 'Shed/Gambrill State Park (they're adjacent to each other and there are some great rides linking the two) if you're looking for technical, classic East coast rocky, trails. The best way to familiarize yourself with the trails up there is to ride with someone who knows their way around because there aren't really any useful maps (for reasons I won't go into here) and written directions would be pretty confusing.

Also check out Patapsco Valley State Park just south of Baltimore near Ellicott City, MD. The riding is somewhat similar to Schaeffer but offers more variety over a much larger area. The Elizabeth Furnace area near Front Royal, VA is pretty good too.

I'll PM you a couple of days ahead if I know I'm going to be riding at any of these locations.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Pacific Northwest riding along the lines of what? Freeride? Downhill? XC?

Whatever the answer to that question, The Shed (Frederick Watershed) will probably fit the bill. Patapsco is also very good from what people have told me, but I've yet to ride there. Really it boils down to what sort of riding you want to do, because from there you just need to hook up with the right people and they'll show you around. So far my introductions to people from this forum have been roundly outstanding.