Quantcast

Newbies on their $4k bikes...

Someone please explain to me why there are the kids that have their parents spend $5000 on a downhill rig and then try to ride cross country with it. I wrecked my Tracer today because these 17 yr old kids were riding V10's on a cross country trail. They couldnt get off the trail fast enough because they were clipped in and had difficulty getting UN-clipped. So now I need a new rim and a cassette, and the 2 punks with the downhill rigs need 4 new tires for their lowrider Galant they drive. :evil:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Are you seriously whining that some kids had nice DH bikes on a trail and werent that skilled?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
and did you seriously slash their tires?

No I was wondering why they were even out there to begin with, I mean who would ride a V10 where there is NO I repeat NO downhilling at all?

Then there was the not paying attention to whats in front of them. Of course I guess the Ipods they had would aid them in that enddevour. If your gonna ride, ride. But atleast be courteous enough to ATLEAST pay attention to whats in front of you.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, I ride my DH bike all the time on XC trails. Its a great way to get comfortable with a bike and build endurance. It seems odd that any rider would bash another becuase he has less experience. Perhaps you're missing the spirit of this whole thing...

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Those were probably the only bikes they had because they had sunk so much money into them. There is no law stating you can't ride big bikes on XC trails.

Slashing the tires of a fellow biker is lame.

BurlyShirley said:
Well, I ride my DH bike all the time on XC trails. Its a great way to get comfortable with a bike and build endurance. It seems odd that any rider would bash another becuase he has less experience. Perhaps you're missing the spirit of this whole thing...
I got the spirit of the whole thing. My gripe is with riders that dont pay attention.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
genpowell71 said:
I got the spirit of the whole thing. My gripe is with riders that dont pay attention.
No. Your gripe was that they had expensive bikes and were newbies, but now you've changed it so as to not look like such a toolshed. If anybody I know tells me about some MTB kids with their tires slashed at a trailhead, Ill know which direction to look.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Relax, the General was just venting, right?

But don't bash the kids for goofing up. They are kids. They will probably make sure that never happens again. I have done XC rides on my DH bike. It's good exercise.
If you ride Mansell Rd. you will have the occasional XC weenie blocking a run but they don't mean it. Don't get bent out of shape(pun) just let them know what they did wrong and what they should do.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
genpowell71 said:
Then maybe you should pay more attention to your riding and not be so out of control that you couldn't stop in time without a collision - would’ve saved your rims...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Dude, take a chill pill. I ride my DH everywhere 'cos it is more fun and limitless. Even on the road sometimes. And guess what... I'M 17!!!!

Anyway, my "$4,000 DH bike" cost $1500 and I am a newb, I've only been biking two years or so.

Some kids are having fun on bikes and you are angry about it???? DH bikes develop most of the tech for xc anyway, so you should be happy they are doing R and D. In some sense.

Just go easy on the kids, they are continuaing your xc weenie legacy.

I'd like to thank the people who contributed to this thread and the ones that put negative comments on this thread. You just won me 50 dollars from my neighbor who bet me that 99% of the feedback would be negative from this story. I'll be buying 2 cases of Corona tonight if anyone would like some.

Tommy you just got Ow3ned!!!

BurlyShirley said:
Wow. Does the word hypocrit mean anything to you?

Too bad you're a mountain biker.
You say Mountain biker like it's a bad thing. I think you skateborders are worse than we are....

Hypocrite? (and that is the correct spelling of that word by the way) No, I'm not a hypocrite, I'm in the army, so that automatically makes me the bad guy. And besides, in those immortal words: "Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb"

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
genpowell71 said:
You say Mountain biker like it's a bad thing. I think you skateborders are worse than we are....

Hypocrite? (and that is the correct spelling of that word by the way) No, I'm not a hypocrite, I'm in the army, so that automatically makes me the bad guy. And besides, in those immortal words: "Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb"
Oh, you're just a military idiot. That clears it all up :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
genpowell71 said:

your dignity has been restored since you have now quoted space balls :thumb:

The beer was great last night. I only got 1 case of corona, and I decided to get a bottle of the Captain's Private Stock to go with it. That in concert with the steaks and potatoes we had for dinner made it an all around great evening. Just glad I have the day off today to recover from last night...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
genpowell71 said:
Someone please explain to me why there are the kids that have their parents spend $5000 on a downhill rig and then try to ride cross country with it. 17 yr old kids were riding V10's on a cross country trail
Somebody should of warned him that this describes 99.9 % of all Pink Bike members and probably half of RM.

Maybe I'll ask my parents for an M3 this christmas so I can pedal around the gravel on Columns Drive. :p

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
genpowell71 said:
Does it describe you? Did your mommy and daddy buy you a $4K Dh rig because you are too busy watching MTV to go out and get a job?

If the shoe fits...
Don't have any of those things except a job.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Now if the local crack dealer would only take my food stamps, I'd be livin the life.