Quantcast

Newcastle, but cheaper?

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I really like Newcastle, but I'm not too fond of the price. I only get the stuff when it's on sale.

Is there anything similar to Newcastle that is readily available and cheap(er)?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
How much cheaper do you want to go? Newcastle around here is $8-$9 for a sixer. Decent, less expensive beer will only save you a buck or two. I think Sam Adams is a decent mass produced beer, and that's about $7 for a six pack. (I am not saying Sam Adams is similar to Newcastle, I'm just throwing out the price comparison)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yuengling, the Quickie Mart around the corner from me usually has it at the same price as Bud/Bud Light/Miller.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
How much cheaper do you want to go? Newcastle around here is $8-$9 for a sixer. Decent, less expensive beer will only save you a buck or two. I think Sam Adams is a decent mass produced beer, and that's about $7 for a six pack. (I am not saying Sam Adams is similar to Newcastle, I'm just throwing out the price comparison)
Holy mackeral! I think you guys are getting screwed out there............ :eek:

Pretty much the pick of any 6-er from any microbrewery is <$7. Most are between $5-$6.50 for a 6. And this includes most of the *yummy* pales and IPAs. :thumb:

I'd write your Congressman. :mad:

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Actually, look for "tasteless dirty-water-colored swill" from any brewer. Should approximate the flavor of Newcastle. :thumb:

-S.S.-

P.S. That was so as not to disappoint BV.
It's funny, I wouldn't call it tasteless or swill but I've never found Newcastle to have as much flavor as the color indicates or as some people rave. It's ok but there are much tastier brews, especially if you pay a premium. I mean Sierra Pale has more flavor, not to mention red tail, prohibition, red hook, and endless others.

Maybe the people who think it's full-flavored are usually drinking Tecate? :confused: :confused:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hehe I didn't know people actually even drank tecate in the states, I thought it was the swill that poor mexicans drank and they just put it in a bottle to fool americans.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
GumbaFish said:
Hehe I didn't know people actually even drank tecate in the states, I thought it was the swill that poor mexicans drank and they just put it in a bottle to fool americans.

Suprisingly, I find myself with a cold tecate can in my hands pretty frequently. I don't think I've ever seen it in bottles, and anyway I like Pacifico if I'm going for the glass.

And I'm not even a poor Mexican, just some dude in Cali. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
It's funny, I wouldn't call it tasteless or swill but I've never found Newcastle to have as much flavor as the color indicates or as some people rave. It's ok but there are much tastier brews, especially if you pay a premium. I mean Sierra Pale has more flavor, not to mention red tail, prohibition, red hook, and endless others.

Maybe the people who think it's full-flavored are usually drinking Tecate? :confused: :confused:
I guess compared to a Coors, Newcastle might actually be considered flavorful.

Compared to a proper IPA hop-fest, Newcastle is lacking. In more ways than one. :p

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
'round these here parts, Yuengling B&T goes for $8.99/12 and Newcastle goes for $12.99/12. Newcastle is my preferred option but whenever I want to get a nice cigar too, I go with the Yuengling.

Yuengling B&T is my "house beer" just like Evan Williams Black 90 is my "house bourbon".

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, I guess I can't get much cheaper.

A sixer usually goes for $8 after tax. When it's on sale it's $.50 off. Only two stores in town carry it though, and even then it's spotty when they actually have it.

So I guess I can't save that much, but it'd be nice to have a little cheaper option that is readily available at most places.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SkaredShtles said:
Compared to a proper IPA hop-fest, Newcastle is lacking. In more ways than one. :p

-S.S.-
But not everyone cares for hops. Personally, I think most American attempts at IPA are overdone. Newcastle is a really good transition beer. More flavor than your run of the mill American pilsner swill, not as nice as a good English porter or Belgian abbey ale, but a step in the right direction.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
BikeGeek said:
But not everyone cares for hops. Personally, I think most American attempts at IPA are overdone. Newcastle is a really good transition beer.
Some of those overdone IPAs I like. :D

Some people don't like bitters either. :confused:

Newcastle, however, I would argue, is really not good for anything. :p

-S.S.-

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SkaredShtles said:
Newcastle, however, I would argue, is really not good for anything. :p

-S.S.-
:) Eh....I guess I'm sentimental. Newkie was the beer that pulled me out of my coors/miller/bud rut and inspired me to try new things. I've since left it behind.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
BikeGeek said:
I got so sick on that a couple of months ago. I haven't been able to touch it since. :(
We went out to dinner a few weeks ago and had mojitos followed by a couple pints of *stiff* IPA (Avery Maharaja and something else.......?). Funny thing was, I didn't have a headache, which is usually what I get when I overdo it with big IPA.

Must've been the rum. :thumb:

-S.S.-

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BikeGeek said:
I got so sick on that a couple of months ago. I haven't been able to touch it since. :(

rogue makes me sick too. i love the chocolate stout but it is a gastrointestinal nightmare the next day.