Quantcast

News: Animal DHers spotted at Silver MTN

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
So i dusted off the beaten down Banshee (my bike has been getting much worse since i got it lol, Whistler took everything out of whack) and drove to Silver MTN in Idaho, I wasn't expecting much with a $16 (student price) lift ticket and the fact that the shop dude kind of dumbed the stuff down (really cool dude rides a Stab D w/ Monsters) "Meh it's mellow"

So I go up the lift and there's mini a-line! The Hammer trail is pretty sweet, however it is not super flowy yet really because you have to pedal pretty hard in to some of the jumps it seems, however it's a start and it's hella fun, the step down to road gap section right under the lift is sweet, what a great filming opportunity. Then you go in to the deep woods and just mob for miles of rutty rooty goodness which makes those arms and fingers feel like an 80 year old, EXTREMELY high speed fire road descents and great drifting opportunities make this a great place to practice not hitting trees, Sweet!

However it seems as though when I went there the Zoo was holding a downhill race, Run 2: mobbing some singletrack and a baby black bear just takes off down the trail in front of me as fast as possible... i get the heck out of there because momma bears are usually super protective, so that was all cool and whatnot, then on my last run I pass a full grown bull moose dher on an open section on the Hammer, neither of us knew what to do so I let him have the right of way on the trail to finish up his race run... but he paused in the middle of the track and I had to hide for about 10-15 minutes before he mosied down the rest of the course! I don't know how much those things weigh but I didn't want to mess with him lol. I was riding solo as usual too so I was a bit worried for my life.

Anyone have any stories like this? Next time I go I think i'm gonna bring some bear spray on my bike. didn't really consider the aspect of having to avoid deadly animals with my already dangerous habit. Makes it exciting.

Props to Otis and all the builders at Silver, it was a lot of fun and WILD!

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
HA! Sounds like quite an experience! I've ridden there several times but haven't seen any wildlife except for the 2 dogs that "rode" with me on one of my race runs there!

Glad to hear you had fun there. That mountain has good potential, I hope they keep up their efforts. I plan on riding there over the Labor Day weekend.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Hahahaha - nice!

My only Dh/animal experience was at Whistler. I was headed toward Aline/Hornet - There's that jump into a turn just before you go into the trees. Coming into the jump there was 2 bear cubs just hanging there - fortunately they heard me and I barely missed them - my first thought was mama should be near by and I went as fast as I could through Aline/Hornet. Had a good laugh at the bottom. :D

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
My only complaint would be the fact that just the way the hill is set up you can ride anywhere so it seems like there's a lot of "unnoficial" trails this leads to erosion which was pretty obvious in some spots this does not look good for the sport and leaves hikers unhappy.

Oh prepare to eat through your brake pads when you're up there the sandy dirt mixed with high speeds=not good on brakes.