Quantcast

news of the weird...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
like letting a tiger loose and it ends up getting killed in suburban atlanta.
But a company paid to transport them isn't going to let one go to so the shipper/receiver can have an excuse to sue them unless it's an insurance fraud scheme. More likely it's an accident or a problematic/smart tiger - there was only one missing and known on receipt.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
People are a bigger threat to humanity than (lions), tigers and bears. Just saying...too bad we cant shoot them down willy nilly.

But seriously...I got yelled at one day for letting my dog chase the local deer herd. I said to the yeller- "I dont want them too familiar with people, they should be scared of us and keep their distance." Same goes with bears. The first time some well meaning fisherman tossed Yogi a salmon, they knew how to work the system. Best thing that we can do, imho, is shoot them with a high powered pellet gun or the like when they are little. Inculcate a little fear of man into them...thoughts?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
90% confident I could smell one while hiking in Montana, saw fresh footprints. I suspect it was on the same trail and stepped into the woods when it heard us. Didn't sleep very well that night.

I walk my dog on a dirt trail that runs behind the Woodland Park Zoo. Just a bunch of maintenance shacks and access roads on the other side of the fence. Was rather shocked one day to see a grizzly on one of the access roads not 30 yards away. Yeah it was a zoo bear behind 3 fences but I certainly wasn't expecting it. I would have compared it more to a compact crossover SUV.
I've had a momma bear and her cub encounter and smelled a few bears. One connector trail in Pisgah has bear poop on it every time I ride it. Never seen one there but have smelled something kind of like a large wet dog.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had a momma bear and her cub encounter and smelled a few bears. One connector trail in Pisgah has bear poop on it every time I ride it. Never seen one there but have smelled something kind of like a large wet dog.

Yeah, that is the aroma I got when in Glacier, with dinner plate size foot prints on the trail.

But at the end of the day the bear knew we were there and decided to stay away. Food was hung far away from the camp that night. Even went so far as to hang the clothes we ate in.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Francher said the bears broke into a main window on the front of the business.

"While I don't advocate feeding wildlife in any way, I believe it would have been much better to have left the old dumpster tops in place because they wouldn't become desperate enough to break into houses or businesses

That footage is obviously not from the drive in location.
It's fun to watch you reach.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That footage is obviously not from the drive in location.
It helps to read. Directly from their facebook page, the drive thru location on Moraine Ave, not other location on Elkhorn Ave which you posted in error:

Antonio's Real New York Pizza
October 8 at 1:22pm ·
BEARS! Momma and her 2 cubs break into Antonio’s, proceed to eat our dough and find their way to the salami. A note to police for the future: if bears break into our stores, please don’t shoot them. Every dumpster in town is now bear proof which leaves only our homes, cars and businesses. The bears ripped a window out of the wall at our drive thru on Moraine Ave! While I don’t advocate feeding wildlife in any way, I believe it would have been much better to have left the old dumpster tops in place because they wouldn’t become desperate enough to break into houses or businesses and the damage in dollars would be much lower. We’ve now forced the bears’ paws to break into homes and businesses. This could have been so much worse. Cleaning and fixing we are... we open at Noon today. Be sure to play in HD.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Or even worse, racoon's!

Fucking trash pandas. :mad:
But they're sooooo cute. Last thursday, after our ride we picked up a couple of cases of beer and hit the shawarma place. It has a nice outdoor patio. as we were eating on said patio, a racoon crept up and started trying to figure out how to get in the garbage can. it took about 3 minutes. then it just kinda hung out with us while we all ate together. no harm, no foul.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Okay. She still broke in. Which is something they do occasionally.
Yes, they can easily break into sheds (like this drive thru) because they're cheap/poorly constructed and with people forgetting to latch or close windows (insurance company wouldn't want to hear that).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mcbvpartynb111810.JPG
:rofl:

And you call religious people stubborn.
Do you manage low-skill workers that don't pay attention for opening/closing (sometimes through no fault of their own if you have some PITA managers that won't listen to the owners about training protocol). Or how often end-users also never listen to common sense instructions either. I've seen plenty of both as a business owner and a system admin. People are lazy/dumb, they forget stuff and want to run out the door when it's closing time.

Motivated animals will exploit forgetfulness every time (100+ hours in animal rehab with hungry wild black vultures and owner of parrots for over two decades).

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
(100+ hours in animal rehab with hungry wild black vultures and owner of parrots for over two decades).
My god. I had no idea!

Bears break into shit syadasti. Even locked structures. Not often and not before some conditioning but it happens. The fact that you NEED to hold onto this idea that any bear in a house MUST have gone through something open is hilarious to anyone who actually lives with the things.

But if we're playing backyard animal showcase, here's one that was nosing my front glass door

bearface.JPG

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This started with someone claiming a bear will break down a door like a battering ram and pose an immediate danger, it doesn't happen that way and that's a fact. You'll also note the business owner of the pizza place was used to bears and wasn't an entitled suburbanite worried about their rat dog being eaten and demanding they be killed for by choice building a home on their habitat.

I lived with black bears in Ringwood walkthrough thru numerous times too, big woop. I've also worked with mammals in animal rehab, big difference than them walking through the neighborhood.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And they didn't break down the door by charging and didn't kill/harm anyone - it's a nuisance problem. When you build out in the forest that's expected and they don't deserve to be extirpated for people invading their natural habitat for suburban sprawl.

If we're lucky a suburbanite will catch something special (best we got is various forms of tickborne diseases in the US)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-12-intense-human-settlement-forest-disruption.html

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hmmm waffles.

You said bears don't break into houses, only opportunistically enter open windows and doors.

They do both.
This is what started it, a tiger[or a bear] can't break down a door like battering ram and pose an immediate danger was the point:

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/news-of-the-weird.262588/#post-4225867

Which is what I said then:
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/news-of-the-weird.262588/#post-4225907

And I acknowledged they still break in as a nuisance problem which is obvious.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
#notavulture

Yes, a nuisance problem, but not an immediate danger like a raging bull and it's the people's fault for building out into their habitat and then feeding/habituating them. People need to take responsibility, not the wildlife.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This is what started it, a tiger[or a bear] can't break down a door like battering ram and pose an immediate danger was the point:

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/news-of-the-weird.262588/#post-4225867

Which is what I said then:
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/news-of-the-weird.262588/#post-4225907

And I acknowledged they still break in as a nuisance problem which is obvious.
No what started it is your selective reading comprehension. The fact that you just can't stand to be proven wrong is what keeps this thread going. Quite entertaining really. Carry on.

And not only that, a tiger that is attacking a small dog is probably just getting warmed up. A cat of that size could easily break down a back door and come inside. But you're probably right, the home owners should just lay down and let the poor hungry tiger eat them because it's endangered and should only be dealt with by animal control, whenever they show up.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My god. I had no idea!

Bears break into shit syadasti. Even locked structures. Not often and not before some conditioning but it happens. The fact that you NEED to hold onto this idea that any bear in a house MUST have gone through something open is hilarious to anyone who actually lives with the things.

But if we're playing backyard animal showcase, here's one that was nosing my front glass door

View attachment 126747
looks like a chocolate lab....HA!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and if he had thumbs i'm sure he would have crushed that valium up and snorted it.