Quantcast

news of the weird...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Dumb they shot it because it was threatening someone's common pet dog before the animal control could get there. A dog isn't an endangered species.
You might feel differently if it was your pet about to be a Tiger snack. What would you expect the cops to do otherwise in a rather unusual emergency situation ? It's not like they were packing some large balls of yarn.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You might feel differently if it was your pet about to be a Tiger snack. What would you expect the cops to do otherwise in a rather unusual emergency situation ? It's not like they were packing some large balls of yarn.
The law classifies pets as property and dogs do not have special legal status like endangered animals do. Unless the tiger is threatening a person, rather than property, they should wait for animal control.

See also:

https://www.animallaw.info/article/mans-best-friend-property-or-family-member-examination-legal-classification-companion

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The law classifies pets as property and dogs do not have special legal status like endangered animals do. Unless the tiger is threatening a person, rather than property, they should wait for animal control.

See also:

https://www.animallaw.info/article/mans-best-friend-property-or-family-member-examination-legal-classification-companion
So if it was your dog, you would plead with the cops not to shoot the tiger and let it kill your dog ? I get what you are saying about an endangered species, but people's pets are like family to them.

And not only that, a tiger that is attacking a small dog is probably just getting warmed up. A cat of that size could easily break down a back door and come inside. But you're probably right, the home owners should just lay down and let the poor hungry tiger eat them because it's endangered and should only be dealt with by animal control, whenever they show up.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wouldn't a tiger in Atlanta be considered an invasive species?
The ESA still covers them specifically (and other species inside and outside of the US). The dog is property and it's irrelevant what an owner's feelings are, they're still considered property legally, not a person.

On the federal level, the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) is the only statute that protects the welfare of individual zoo animals. Under the AWA, animals, in the custody of a dealer or exhibitor are protected by regulations governing their care, handling, and transport. All cold-blooded animals are excluded from the Act’s definition of animal. The Act gives power to the Secretary of Agriculture, whose power is further delegated to the Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service (APHIS), to administer and enforce the Act. The Endangered Species Act (ESA) applies only to animals designated as “endangered” or “threatened” by the Secretary of the Interior, or the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who administers the Act. The ESA prohibits “taking” or harassing listed animals, but the regulations exempt normal animal husbandry, including exhibition of animals. Therefore, exhibiting an endangered species alone is not a violation of the Act. Finally, at the federal level, there are acts that protect specific species, including the African elephant, Asian elephant, great apes, tigers and rhinoceros. The most important part of these statutes is the money allocated toward conservation of the protected species, but they have little application to zoo animals in general.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
GA has little regard for animals. You can legally kill a house cat or dog merely for being on your property.

Also it's obvious that the tiger didn't attack the dog since it was unharmed after it's encounter. A tiger isn't going to break down your door either just like native mountain lions and bears don't/can't either.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
GA has little regard for animals. You can legally kill a house cat or dog merely for being on your property.

Also it's obvious that the tiger didn't attack the dog since it was unharmed after it's encounter. A tiger isn't going to break down your door either just like native mountain lions and bears don't/can't either.
Bullshit dude ! Bears in WNC routinely tear open car doors and get trapped. They also break into people's kitchens. Plenty of video online to prove it.

The dog appears to be unharmed because it got away as the cops were shooting at the tiger. If they had not been there that dog would be digested by now.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You said break down the door, that doesn't happen. Your statement was BS. I've worked at a wildlife rescue and have friends at zoos, they don't break down doors especially ones from captivity.

A cat of that size could easily break down a back door and come inside.
Captive specimens are still very dangerous, but their not adept at hunting and they're not going to break down a door regardless.

BTW, captive female Bengal Tigers like the one in the story are only about 100 lbs heavier than male mountain lions like this. No need to shoot them because they're not going to break in:

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
You said break down the door, that doesn't happen. Your statement was BS. I've worked at a wildlife rescue and have friends at zoos, they don't break down doors especially ones from captivity.

Captive specimens are still very dangerous, but their not adept at hunting and they're not going to break down a door regardless.
I've seen and read several stories over the years about bears breaking into cars. They can literally peel the door open from the top down. And if a bear can peel open a car door it can damn sure break into your home.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

I am picking up what you are putting down, but I am going to go out on a limb here and opine that Cops in Atlanta dont have, prior to this incident of course, a whole lot of experience dealing with tigers.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've seen and read several stories over the years about bears breaking into cars. They can literally peel the door open from the top down. And if a bear can peel open a car door it can damn sure break into your home.
They don't break down doors, they're lazy. Especially captive bears.

They can open unlocked doors, they don't typically break them down. Mentioned here:

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Education/LivingWithWildlife/BearproofingYourHome.pdf

Many bears that enter homes do so through an unlocked or open window or door. Close and lock all bear-accessible windows and doors when you leave the house, and at night before you go to bed.

If you must leave downstairs windows open, install sturdy grates or bars. Screens don’t keep out bears.

Keep garage doors and windows closed and locked at night and when you’re not home. Don’t leave your garage door standing open when you’re not outside. Install extra-sturdy doors if you have a freezer, refrigerator, pet food, bird seed, or other attractants in your garage.

Keep car doors and windows closed and locked if you park outside. Make sure there’s nothing with an odor in your vehicle, including candy, gum, air fresheners, trash, lotions and lip balms.

Bears are great climbers — remove any tree limbs that might provide access to upper level decks and windows.

Replace exterior lever-style door handles with good quality round door knobs that bears can’t pull or push open.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am picking up what you are putting down, but I am going to go out on a limb here and opine that Cops in Atlanta dont have, prior to this incident of course, a whole lot of experience dealing with tigers.
Also it's not atypical to hear of cops shooting a family pet merely because they feel like it rather than actually being in danger. Really not cut out for it if mailman/UPS/Fed Ex can take more abuse than a cop.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
They don't break down doors, they're lazy. Especially captive bears.

They can open unlocked doors, they don't typically break them down. Mentioned here:

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Education/LivingWithWildlife/BearproofingYourHome.pdf
Whatever man. I've seen the videos, pics. and read the stories about bears breaking into cars and destroying the inside to the point that the car is considered totaled. And if you use your superior Google Foo you'd see it too. But you won't because you would have to admit to yourself that you are wrong in this case.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Imma gonna go out on a limb and agree that they probably don't know shit about tigers and might have been a little worried that it would get away and come across a child or something. But those aren't endangered either.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Whatever man. I've seen the videos, pics. and read the stories about bears breaking into cars and destroying the inside to the point that the car is considered totaled. And if you use your superior Google Foo you'd see it too. But you won't because you would have to admit to yourself that you are wrong in this case.
They certainly can open unlocked/opened doors as Colorado Parks and Wildlife made abundantly clear (it's also possible if the car window is down which isn't wise in bear country either). They might tear open a thin/cheap metal garage door or screen door/window for food, but they'd not knocking down locked regular doors. It doesn't happen.

The video also mentioned the tiger did slightly scratch the dog, so that shows how dangerous the captive tiger is it was in contact with the dog before being shot. The animal control truck was also on site very shortly after the tiger was shot.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You're wrong. Stop now. Hungry bears are the opposite of lazy.
I'm not wrong about breaking down regular doors. Find one that breaks down doors other than screen doors or ones with open windows. The worst I've heard of is thin metal garage doors being torn open (a slow process, not broken down either) which is also mentioned by CO Parks and Wildlife too:

"Install extra-sturdy doors if you have a freezer, refrigerator, pet food, bird seed, or other attractants in your garage."

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not wrong about breaking down regular doors. Find one that breaks down doors other than screen doors or ones with open windows. The worst I've heard of is thin metal garage doors being torn open which is also mentioned by CO Parks and Wildlife too:

"Install extra-sturdy doors if you have a freezer, refrigerator, pet food, bird seed, or other attractants in your garage."
Would you like me to give you the phone number of a coworker of mine so you can verify the authenticity of his insurance claim? A bear went into his CLOSED window. And that's far from the only time I know of that happening. We just went through 5 years of drought and those poor things were raiding coolers on beaches full of people. And these aren't park bears.

I live with bears. They're all over the place here. It happens. I don't need to search for a fucking article or official statements from what you think is "the mountains™" to know what goes on in my own neighborhood and what I see with my own eyes.

This is my backyard for fucks sake.

fatty.JPG

That's daily in the summer, more a matter if I get up early enough to see them. No they don't 'regularly' go barging down doors but you not hearing about it in vermont isn't the same thing as it not happening in areas with thousands of the things.

I'm familiar with their behavior as is everyone who lives where I do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They break into cabins all the time here.