Quantcast

News: Specialized Gwins Him Over

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Any more details on how his deal with Trek went down? I thought there were press releases about him signing a 3-year deal with them already.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Also if the whole factory team will run the same components as last or will it be Shimano/Fox...

Last edited:

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
The press release said they will support him with frames and tires. The way they wrote that, it sounds like he can ride whatever suspension, drivetrain, brakes, etc. he wants. But...we'll see.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The press release said they will support him with frames and tires. The way they wrote that, it sounds like he can ride whatever suspension, drivetrain, brakes, etc. he wants. But...we'll see.
Well, other than a seat there isn't much else Specialized can supply him with. As for components, you'll just have to wait and see. 'The way they wrote that' is because Specialized isn't going to to write a press release for sram or fox, it doesn't imply anything. Lot's more info is on the way...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2003
A, A
fox shirt and redbull hat on the press release...seems like the only logical conclusion is that Shimano and Fox will stay on board with him but i wonder if troy and mitch will stay with the sram tent. Wasnt Troy on the blackbox program before he got hurt?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yes, he was.
I am pretty sure specialized will start a factory team and every rider can run his own energy drink.
But they will swap the compnonents out.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sounds like a super dick move on AG part.
Compared to the strikes, lockouts, free-agency, in-fighting, fist-fighting, back stabbing, gun slinging, wife swapping, clandestine doping operations, and corruption that we're used to in other ball, stick, and moto sports. . . . well sh*t, DH mountain biking almost felt legit for a second or two. Almost.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
is it a safe assumption? or did derpalized just want a better ROI from their top (paid) dh racer?
Would be hard to get much better really.

Or just winning the perpetual pissing match with the growing Trek team, against whom they were about to be at a serious disadvantage.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah i think Specialized have had a better ROI with Sam than Trek from Gwin. Some of the pay has to be variable due to results and since Sam hasnt raced most of the time i think demo sales/salary is way higher than session sales/salary. Considering that Sean sounded a little upset about Sam leaving i suspect Sam was the biggest cause behind these events

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Considering that Sean sounded a little upset about Sam leaving i suspect Sam was the biggest cause behind these events
Wikipedia:
Sam Hill is an American English slang phrase, a euphemism or minced oath for "the devil" or "hell" personified (as in, "What in the Sam Hill is that?").
He is the evil! It's the DH-apocalypse!

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah i think Specialized have had a better ROI with Sam than Trek from Gwin. Some of the pay has to be variable due to results and since Sam hasnt raced most of the time i think demo sales/salary is way higher than session sales/salary. Considering that Sean sounded a little upset about Sam leaving i suspect Sam was the biggest cause behind these events
Does it? You've seen their contracts? I haven't. So I'm not gonna comment either way as to exactly how they're paid. As much as we love racing, at the end of the day for these teams/companies/racers it's still a business.

I think Lee might have a point re: the perpetual jockeying between Burke & Sinyard.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
I wonder if this is necessarily a good move for specialized. I mean, if he moves over and stops winning all the time, regardless of whether it's due to faster riders elsewhere, wouldn't that bode poorly for the demo frame? If he wins, it's because he's ern gwern, but if he loses, it's because he's on a demo.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I wonder if this is necessarily a good move for specialized. I mean, if he moves over and stops winning all the time, regardless of whether it's due to faster riders elsewhere, wouldn't that bode poorly for the demo frame? If he wins, it's because he's ern gwern, but if he loses, it's because he's on a demo.
if you look at it within the RM community sure, but if you look at it from a "lets grow the brand and bring people who weren't into mtb before into mtb" gwin is a pretty good example for "mountain biking is cool, and you don't have to be some hardcore baddass xtremesport nutterbutter, it can be good wholesome fun."

OGRipper

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a hard time believing this was caused by Sam. It is much easier for me to see Specialized securing a deal for Gwin and then "allowing" Sam to move on. I mean come on, that whole "farewell" video was almost an apology to the Aussie unibrower.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
I suppose, but DH definitely has that "bro-BRAH" mentality, and I don't think Gwin was changing that much. There are still plenty of both DH riders who smoke pot in the parking lot, and super-aggro "is that all you spent" matching jammy types. The friendly, welcoming locals are somewhat fewer. Peat gets a massive amount of coverage, and he's kind of a prick.

I remember there being a problem with Nico back in the day. Nobody would hire him because if he stopped being so dominant on their bike, it would look horrible for their brand. I find that hard to believe, but it was a rumor. That's why he rode his own bike for a couple years (and continued to win on it).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
There are a lot of people who know the industry really well who look after Gwin's best interests. Guys like Houseman know what's good and bad for riders and I doubt this decision was made out of any sort of greed. I'm assuming it came down to a decision of the heart and what was best for his conscience.

OGRipper

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are a lot of people who know the industry really well who look after Gwin's best interests. Guys like Houseman know what's good and bad for riders and I doubt this decision was made out of any sort of greed. I'm assuming it came down to a decision of the heart and what was best for his conscience.
I can't tell if you are serious with this or not. There is a lot we don't know, obviously. But it sounds like he strung Trek along until the 9th hour and used them as leverage to get the best deal from Specialized.

It's business. A flush bank account can be pretty effective in clearing one's conscience - even someone with a professed faith in higher powers.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
People seem to be making a big deal about the letter of intent that he signed in August. I am no lawyer but I dont know how legally binding those can be. On the other hand, I would be really suprised if Martin did not have a first right of refusal in his previous contract. If that did exist then TWR has every right to match the Specialized offer and retain Gwin. Maybe that is why this is happening now, a week after the new year? Gwin had to let his previous contract expire before he could sign the papers with Specialized?