Quantcast

News: Specialized Gwins Him Over

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
So if this works out to be a legit deal, then who's gonna want to sign on with Martin Whitley? He issued a PR to smear the reputation of the sports best rider whom he worked closely with for the past few years. Seems really strange given Whitley's long-term experience and reputation. Get these issues solved privately, not on Pinkbike, sheesh.

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So if this works out to be a legit deal, then who's gonna want to sign on with Martin Whitley? He issued a PR to smear the reputation of the sports best rider whom he worked closely with for the past few years. Seems really strange given Whitley's long-term experience and reputation. Get these issues solved privately, not on Pinkbike, sheesh.
forum mongers like us aren't the only ones capable of making knee-jerk reactions

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
I think it could be easily said, right now, that Erwn Gwern effed over Trek moreso than they "smeared" his reputation.

The details will sort themselves out eventually, or they won't.

jonKranked

Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it could be easily said, right now, that Erwn Gwern effed over Trek moreso than they "smeared" his reputation.

either way we on these here internetz will speculate RAMPANTLY every step of the way.

jonKranked

Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's a thought: what if this is all some pro wrestling style manufactured scripted soap opera type ploy to generate off-season hype leading into a race season full of drama?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

Martin on Aaron: "...completely surprised by Mr Gwin's unprofessional actions."
Aaron on TWR: " "

If Gwin says there is more to the story (tweeted), I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Crap, even I'm speculating now.

Aug 4, 2008
#RockKardashian

For what its worth I bought a truck of popcorn, hoping this develops into some high qualitz drama.

On the tangential note. I don't know why Martin Whitley seems such a douche to me. I mean I never met the guy, he didn't do me any evil neither he did any evil to any person I know. But still I categorize him as a royal Arsehole and a Douche.

Anybody else harbor similar feelings?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
"Legally binding letter of intent" sounds to me like some informal emails went backwards and forwards between Whitely and Aaron at the end of last season. If this is the case, the original PR claiming he had signed with Trek should have never have gone public. I'm guessing between then and now Aaron figured out a better deal involving one or more partners and took it, and now Whitely is trying to dig himself out of a hole.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just talked to my buddy at specialized to get the inside scoop. Apparently trek was continuing to refuse to provide dental, and specialized was willing to provide dental insurance.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Lizard Town
If in fact that is the case- that is completely fvcked. But I also kind of doubt it- multiple implants- maybe $20,000?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yeah, i just got off the phone with my super inside scoop buddy who is is best friends with mike sinyards cousin and he said that trek apparently refused to insure gwin, and gwin was paying out of pocket.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Lizard Town
Wow- that seems a bit lame- making money off an athlete risking life and limb, but not providing coverage. I've had jobs where they pay you more with the intent that you'll buy your own, but still. Weird beard.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So much gold in here.
:thumb:

Maybe we're going at it all wrong. Maybe he just bought the carbon Demo hype so badly that he needed to be on one, no matter what?
They told him he gets the two nurses from Val di sole. He signed the deal already there.
Though they told him they were virgins and that they ARE the insurance.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I have a hard time believing this was caused by Sam. It is much easier for me to see Specialized securing a deal for Gwin and then "allowing" Sam to move on. I mean come on, that whole "farewell" video was almost an apology to the Aussie unibrower.
Doesn't that teamrumours-cartoon exist for a few months now!? I I believe this was planned long ago and the most plausible explanation is that Specialized simply didn't believe in future podiums with Sam and just decided to hire a faster guy.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Living in a country with a completely different health care system than the US, I have a bit of a hard time putting dental care and insurance in an economical perspective, but that sounds pretty ****ty of TWR to me..

Just for reference or whatever, what kind of money would we be talking about if we say he was offered "a lot of money" from Specialized to swich teams? I mean, I don't see Sam Hill or Greg Minaar driving around in exotic cars and stuff..

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Living in a country with a completely different health care system than the US, I have a bit of a hard time putting dental care and insurance in an economical perspective, but that sounds pretty ****ty of TWR to me..
I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke.
Well, yes, that sort of came across, but I'm still interested in what kind of money they make.

And I'm not sure cars such as the CG racing van counts, as I'm guessing that car belongs to the team i.e. being financed by sponsors and CG gets to use it.

Hell, if I didn't have to pay for my bikes or my trips then I could probably afford an RS4. I'm talking about cars like Jon Ohlssons (freeride skiier) crazy winter drive lambos. Do they own the manisons they live in? (Like the one in Life behind Bars or an old vid where CG gives the full Cribs-tour of some villa in the alps) or are they just provided by the teams as well?