Quantcast

News: Specialized Gwins Him Over

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it was mentionned earlier (though maybe not on this particular thread), that CG also owns and runs a real-estate company. I'm sure that in Andorra, that can rake in significant amounts of cash.
does he really? its smart for athletes in sports like this to branch out to other business ventures. most people cant/wont last as long as him so its good for them to have something to fall back on.

rpet

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Aaron Gwin has probably a nice deal with a new bike sponsor - Specialized.

I'm wondering if TWR even has a job at this point? Snarky Youtube post may be the last we hear of them...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wow, just beautifully done Trek. Way to make sure nobody worthwhile ever wants to take a chance racing for you again.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
The vid is no longer available. What was it?

Edit: The "snarky" one people are talking about. It sounds like Trek or Martin being snotty.

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
seriously.... whats the legal weight of a "letter of intent"????
I believe it would matter more of what the terms and content in the letter of intent were. No one but the parties involved likely know this.

I'm sure Gwin's (and likely Specialized's) lawyers reviewed all relevant documents before making the move.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Wow, just beautifully done TWR. Way to make sure nobody worthwhile ever wants to take a chance racing for you again.
FTFY. If Trek is smart they'll pull sponsorship of TWR/23˚ and distance themselves as much as possible. I have no idea if they can or can't, but everyone is assuming it's Trek doing all this high school breakup crap, and not one single man not employed by Trek.
Funny, when this rumor was first being tossed around and once it actually dropped, I saw Gwin as the DB of the situation, but after all the lashing out by TWR, Gwin pretty much says nothing and it's become clear who the real DB probably was.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Well, if that's how it went down then it was pretty straight forward of Gwin. My guess would then be that TWR are butthurt because they didn't realize that the LOI wasn't binding? If so, I can sort of see where they're coming from with all the accusations (again, if they really thought they had an agreement), but that just makes them badly read up on the legal stuff.

They should have asked Ridemonkey first!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Out of interest, how many athletes does Whitely/23deg manage?

I'm surprised that I'm surprised that Gwin is acting like the bigger man, he's always been 100% professional in all the vids/interviews I've seen, guess I'm just shocked at how TWR is handling this!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
it seems George Brannigan signed with them too in december, or was it a letter of intent, it seems these things are easily confused... :D

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
So it's the RM board's considered opinion that Trek should now distance themselves from Martin Whiteley because of his response to this? As far as I can tell, all of his "lashing out" has been limited to releasing a video of Gwin talking about signing with Trek for the next 3-5 years, and the statement about the signing. Is that it, or did I miss something else?

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
So it's the RM board's considered opinion that Trek should now distance themselves from Martin Whiteley because of his response to this? As far as I can tell, all of his "lashing out" has been limited to releasing a video of Gwin talking about signing with Trek for the next 3-5 years, and the statement about the signing. Is that it, or did I miss something else?
Within those two simple actions the amount of douchebaggery was outstanding.

If you have 'proof' in a legal situation you save it for court rather than YouTube and a ropey as fook press release

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I believe it would matter more of what the terms and content in the letter of intent were. No one but the parties involved likely know this.

I'm sure Gwin's (and likely Specialized's) lawyers reviewed all relevant documents before making the move.
And ask the boys at stratos if Specialized has some good vultures, I mean lawyers. Either way, good for Gwin. It looks like he will be getting support going forward.

So who is the top dog at TWR? Neko? That's cool for the young east cost dude

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
And ask the boys at stratos if Specialized has some good vultures, I mean lawyers. Either way, good for Gwin. It looks like he will be getting support going forward.

So who is the top dog at TWR? Neko? That's cool for the young east cost dude
Nah Brook MacDonald

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Being a Socal dude, it's probably been Gwin's dream to ride for TLD (and maybe Spec?) the whole time that he's been racing. Pretty cool setup now that he is so much closer to his sponsors and can work face to face with them. Hoping to see some cool stuff come from the Big S and TLD soon...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The purpose of a letter of intent is to reach agreement on the general terms before spending the time and effort negotiating the actual (usually much longer) contract. Most LOI's specifically say they are NOT binding except for certain binding portions such as maybe an exclusive negotiating period and confidentiality. Regardless, LOI's are generally very difficult to enforce.

It depends on the specifics (and conduct outside the terms of the LOI, to an extent), but anyone who relies on an LOI as binding with respect to the underlying deal is taking a big risk. That's especially true when there is so much at stake and a good chance of competitive offers from outside parties. And if the parties fail to come to terms on the eventual contract, there is no deal.

That's generally how it works anyway. I don't know what went down here.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah, hopefully they produce a few sick web edits with the Rock Jesus. Maybe it was always the lack of coverage about him that me feel a bit of "Mehhh..." about him.

I wanna see that dude ride a trail whithout a clock.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yeah, hopefully they produce a few sick web edits with the Rock Jesus. Maybe it was always the lack of coverage about him that me feel a bit of "Mehhh..." about him.

I wanna see that dude ride a trail whithout a clock.

skip to 3:13 for no clock trail riding.

That Video convinced me to buy an ASR5-Carbon 2 years ago.

Last edited:

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
This just in:

Sources in the US Patent Office confirm that Specialized has a pending patent that covers Aaron Gwin's riding style, diet and spiritual beliefs. One point of contention is whether the application pre-dates the signed LOI with TWR.

Riders in the 2013 WC said to be studying Demo9's technique (and possibly threatening legal action for his screen name), training at the bar with Peaty and removing any references of a higher power from their personal websites.

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
In my pants
This just in:

Sources in the US Patent Office confirm that Specialized has a pending patent that covers Aaron Gwin's riding style, diet and spiritual beliefs. One point of contention is whether the application pre-dates the signed LOI with TWR.

Riders in the 2013 WC said to be studying Demo9's technique (and possibly threatening legal action for his screen name), training at the bar with Peaty and removing any references of a higher power from their personal websites.
One of these days, you and I are getting a ride in together.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"Trek Bicycles, the title sponsor of the Trek World Racing team, is for its part attempting to stay out of the tussle.

“Right now it’s a dispute between the team and Aaron,” said Trek’s Eric Bjorling. “Obviously we’re disappointed, but it’s up to those to parties to resolve right now.”"

From Velosnooze of all places. http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/mtb/gwin-responds-i-did-not-breach-any-contract_270900

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
"Trek Bicycles, the title sponsor of the Trek World Racing team, is for its part attempting to stay out of the tussle.

“Right now it’s a dispute between the team and Aaron,” said Trek’s Eric Bjorling. “Obviously we’re disappointed, but it’s up to those to parties to resolve right now.”"

From Velosnooze of all places. http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/mtb/gwin-responds-i-did-not-breach-any-contract_270900
Good on Trek for staying out of this. Both Trek and Gwin are handling this situation very professionally (The way it should be handled).

The only thing Martin W. should be doing is actively signing Brook Mcdonald and helping him train and prepare in anyway possible. The best and only "revenge" that should come of of this should be on a race course.

Everyone needs to take a step back, recoup, and prepare for the first world cup.

-KT

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It seems strange to me that Trek would cede some control of their brand name to a third party like TWR. People don't know they're not a subsidiary of Trek. They could cause a lot of damage for Trek I would imagine.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
It seems strange to me that Trek would cede some control of their brand name to a third party like TWR. People don't know they're not a subsidiary of Trek. They could cause a lot of damage for Trek I would imagine.
TWR is not a subsidiary of trek, it's wholly owned and operated by mr. Whitley. They are similar to, say, MS-evil, or suspension center - intense.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
One of the primary reasons TWR exists(ed) over the last couple of seasons was primarily to run a euro-focused XC program in the leadup to the Olympics. As you may have noticed the TWR XC program was signifcantly(to say the least) reduced in size for 2013.

Trek's sole US-run mtb racing program for the last 3 or 4 years was the Subaru XC team(and well, I guess the ODI team(we'll see what happens with that, eh?)). That Subaru program was also outsourced to 3rd party management but appears to have moved in-house for 2013.

Since there aren't any truly competitive American male XC racers and only 3 or 4 UCI XC races in the US it doesn't make sense to allocate serious budget or US-based resources into sponsoring American men or American XC racers in general. US DH racing is eminently healthier than US XC racing, and most of it because of 3 or 4 people on the East Coast who bust their asses to make **** happen. XC doesn't have people like that, just apathy.

Historically the management of many professional mtb teams has been outsourced, even when a bike company is the title sponsor. The old Volvo-Cannondale team, as an example, was run by the people who were running the Saturn road team(under Trek bicycles, then GT and then back to Trek again under the Lemond brand concurrently) and an example and up until a season or two ago the program that we all recognized as the Giant team was actually managed by a group from Idaho that helped to fund their travel expenses by renting half of the trailer to Michelin for race support and marketing.

This is the same reason that Adam Craig and Katie F Compton were on the Rabobank-Giant team last year instead of the Giant World Team- running a world-class XC program requires immense European resources.

Over the last 12 years Trek's racing resources(as well as the resources of the rest of the big 5) have been(IMO) disproportionately placed in the road racing world.

The amount of money it takes to run a successful international MTB program v. the total investment the big 5 brands put into ProTour road racing is significantly different, a difference measured in millions of dollars.

Even with all of that money going into pro road racing there isn't much money in bike racing for the majority of the athletes and staff.
When you perform an economic analysis you see that the majority of bike racers are technically indentured servants engaged in a form of sport bondage, unable to earn anything close to a living wage.
Professional cycling has a greater amount of income-inequality than just about any profession on earth.

The top MTB racers are pretty lucky in that their personal brands are very portable and it doesn't take a dozen riders getting paid **** and force-fed drugs for them to perform at their best on race day.

Last edited: