Quantcast

News: Specialized Gwins Him Over

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It seems strange to me that Trek would cede some control of their brand name to a third party like TWR. People don't know they're not a subsidiary of Trek. They could cause a lot of damage for Trek I would imagine.
It's marketing. They get their name out there for a fraction of the hassle and cost it would take to do it at the same level themselves. Yes, there is PR risk, and that risk might seem foolish now with the benefit of hindsight. But I wouldn't call it "ceding control". You can bet TWR's contract with Trek has all kinds of restrictions and limitations on image and use of the name and branding.

And...you can also bet that contract was signed!! :rofl:

sreaka

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Ouch, perhaps Trek should have kept their XC team. Oh well, I don't care, I ride a SingleSpeed in one direction, uphill.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
This helps explain the torrent of poo that is shooting out of Whitey (from 23 degrees site):

For the five years prior to forming the company Mr Whiteley was responsible for all offroad cycling disciplines at the International Cycling Union in Switzerland, with direct responsibility for the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup (1996-2000).

Former UCI douche, explains a lot.

But I am still confused as to how someone owns/operates a racing team, while also managing athletes on competing racing teams. Seems a bit conflicted eh? Leaves lots of room for shadiness when it comes to athlete contracts & negotiating.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The amount of money it takes to run a successful international MTB program v. the total investment the big 5 brands put into ProTour road racing is significantly different, a difference measured in millions of dollars.

Designer doping drugs aren't cheap. Ask Bill Stapleton :p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This helps explain the torrent of poo that is shooting out of Whitey (from 23 degrees site):

For the five years prior to forming the company Mr Whiteley was responsible for all offroad cycling disciplines at the International Cycling Union in Switzerland, with direct responsibility for the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup (1996-2000).

Former UCI douche, explains a lot.

But I am still confused as to how someone owns/operates a racing team, while also managing athletes on competing racing teams. Seems a bit conflicted eh? Leaves lots of room for shadiness when it comes to athlete contracts & negotiating.
Don't know any of the logistics of all this, but Whitley is dedicated to MTB athletes and is a financial liason for them to the governing bodies. He is somewhere in the middle, but DEFINITELY NOT a UCI douche.

As for repping riders around the sport, if not for Whitley, DH racers would be so dirt poor it would be disgusting. No matter what is going at TWR, this whole sport owes so very much to the guy for keeping the sport and the riders on the front pages. He is someone who wants to legitamize gravity.

No one else stepped up like he did during the down years.

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
In my pants
I owe him for some quality sleep gained listening to his voice on freecaster when warner wasn't around.

Deep, lulling, peaceful somnambulance back and forth to the beer fridge.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Good to see MW back as the level headed professional that he has always been. That was a great article that finally felt like we are hearing facts not emotions. Hope all the best to TWR and gwin.

***Put this in the other thread but seems like it belongs here. i get confused with all these threads talking about the same stuff***

Aug 4, 2008
Mr. Whitley, should you be reading this forum and this post. I would like to inform you that this has to be one of the best maneuvers I have ever seen considering the circumstances. I have never liked you, I will always hate your goatee. However you have just boosted your credibility immensely and I must say that I have tremendous respect for you.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There is some good stuff there and he is clearly trying to move on, which is to his credit. But it kind of bugs me that in trying to fix his initial, amateurish reaction, he spills a bunch of what was supposedly confidential information. Also, to try to come off the bigger man by saying he's not pursuing legal action smells a lot like a guy who knows he has no legal grounds to do so.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Those that work with me, are represented by me, or know me personally as a friend, have all rallied behind me after the forum onslaught, and that’s what matters.

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!

Also

....and yet you are the only one who repped me (yup, I checked fellas). RM is truly peppered with nerds.;)
Quit fishing for rep. It just wasn't that funny ;)

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Sean Heimdel just changed the team name from monster specialized to Factory Specialized on the twitter. It explains at least one more unanswered question.